Unilever compressed deodorants

Options
Anyone seen the new ad?
Same amount of deodorant in a smaller can that lasts as long as the bigger cans?
Supposedly more eco friendly?
So why can't they double the amount of spray in their existing cans now they have made this amazing technological discovery?
I may be thick but surely this would reduce the amount of packaging and really be eco friendly?

Comments

• Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They could but they would then have to double the price which people probably wouldn't be happy about even if they are getting twice as much.
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    edited 28 March 2014 at 8:54PM
    Options
    Why would they have to double the price? There would less cost for the packaging than their new innovation as it would last even longer?
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The 100ml size is perfect for taking in hand luggage :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    cavework wrote: »
    Why would they have to double the price? There would less cost for the packaging than their new innovation as it would last even longer?
    They would sell only half as many. Not very clever for a business.
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would they have to double the price?
    Because the new one would contain twice as much product?
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bsms1147 wrote: »
    Because the new one would contain twice as much product?

No, because as has already been pointed out, a lot of the cost of a product is taken up with things other then the actual product.

Things such as packaging, transport.

When they worked out how to concentrate things such as fabric conditioner and washing up liquid they offered the same size packaging with a liquid that could to twice thr work so it is by no means a stupid question.

Your answer is overly simplistic.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone seen the new ad?
    Same amount of deodorant in a smaller can that lasts as long as the bigger cans?
    So why can't they double the amount of spray in their existing cans now they have made this amazing technological discovery?
    I may be thick but surely this would reduce the amount of packaging and really be eco friendly?

They probably see that there is a market for a smaller, more easily transportable, product, and so decided to cater for that first.

I expect they will start to offer larger containers of concentrate in the future.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've tried and tried with these (Dove) and won't buy any more.

You don't get a burst of soapy freshness (I assume due to the compression) so a) you're not sure if you've used enough so spray again and b) get a bit paranoid wondering if you stink yet!

About 1/3 of the way into the can the spray noticeably decreases in pressure.

About 2/3 of the way down it just gets plain difficult to get any out.

They totally do not last longer than a normal size.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone seen the new ad?

more cans per unit of transport
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    Options
    LOL .. I still don't get it ..
    a manufacturer finds a way to compress a product into half the packaging they already use but that delivers the same amount..
    So rather than double the amount they compress into the larger containers already available they then sell smaller canisters ??
    No this doesn't make sense ..to be eco friendly they would still use the larger canisters that would then have double the life expectancy they have at the moment..?? Reduce packaging costs that could be passed onto the consumer and also reduce waste..
    Please tell me I am making some kind of sense here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure