Add your feedback on energy supplier Extra Energy

Options

Comments

• Hern
    Hern Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    Onbudsman wrote: »
    You get to speak to someone at least from EE by phoning them, emailing EE doesnt seem to warrant a reply in any form....

A telephone conversation that produces nothing and is incapable of future verification is no kind of telephone conversation at all. An email that produces nothing is, however, documentary evidence of the attempted transmission of a complaint. A written letter sent by snail mail -- to which I referred to in my post -- is then conclusive documentary evidence, especially when (as in my own case) it includes print-outs of the screen captures of the original emails.

Energy supply companies are very keen to have customers telephoning them in the event of a complaint or dispute. Has it ever occurred to you to wonder why?
  • fussypensioner
    fussypensioner Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Onbudsman wrote: »
    You get to speak to someone at least from EE by phoning them, emailing EE doesnt seem to warrant a reply in any form....

Yes you can speak to them, but when you have put the phone down nothing else happens, they don't do what they say they will, for whatever reason. What's to stop them from deleting emails of complaint too, how do we know that they actually prioritise your complaint "by putting you on a spreadsheet" We don't - all I know is that we have all experienced lies and promises.
    Holding back the years...
  • fussypensioner
    fussypensioner Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hern wrote: »

A written letter sent by snail mail -- to which I referred to in my post -- is then conclusive documentary evidence, especially when (as in my own case) it includes print-outs of the screen captures of the original emails.

I have kept and printed out all the emails I have sent to EE and their automated replies which has the date on them. Can you tell me why you screen capture the emails is it a better form of evidence?
  • MEMBER02
    MEMBER02 Posts: 811 Forumite
    Options
    person from the ombudsman contacted me today to let me know they have made a ruling on ee and i will receive the report soon,they said that ee hadnt responded to any correspondance the ombudsman submitted to them so it was a straight forward case,so we will see how long it takes ee to comply with the ombudsmans rulings
  • Catslovelycats
    Catslovelycats Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I notice the energy club email I have just received is still saying that EE feedback is mixed! Looks like they don't keep up to date with the threads!
  • richcook
    richcook Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    talked to nice young lady at extra energy this morning re changing my electricity nov 15 acc i have with them to their cheaper sept 16 tariff, i cannot believe i'm not allowed to without being charged the £25 exit fee. baring in mind i would be committing to stay a customer of theirs.
    as it is now i will look to change as soon as possible (to a cheaper supplier)
    on a note of fairness they did inform me of the exit fee without being asked
    Regards

Mark
  • Hern
    Hern Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options

A written letter sent by snail mail -- to which I referred to in my post -- is then conclusive documentary evidence, especially when (as in my own case) it includes print-outs of the screen captures of the original emails.

I have kept and printed out all the emails I have sent to EE and their automated replies which has the date on them. Can you tell me why you screen capture the emails is it a better form of evidence?

One of the problems with attaching documents as appendices to a principal document is that they're stand-alone evidence whose relevance needs to be referenced in the core submission. The result of this is to litter a complaint with distractions such as "see appendix B", or "please turn to appendix E" -- distractions which can ultimately be counter-productive, because the intended reader has to keep flipping back and forth between different pages. . . or may not even bother at all.

Screen-shotting an online complaint via a website, or screen-shotting a complaint made via a desktop email client, is useful because the former lacks verification and thus needs a visual record, whilst the latter carries the imprimatur of addressee, time and date. Lengthy emails don't lend themselves to screen capture, of course, but the point where they're concerned is not the content, rather the evidence of timing.

Screen-shot online complaints and screen-shot email correspondence (date/time) are amenable to insertion into a single page of a document and, even more usefully, to being captioned in such a way as to drive home a particular point. This kind of concentrated communication -- that is, marshalling evidence for presentation on as few pages as possible rather than allowing a core submission to ramble on and on over many pages -- is greatly appreciated by recipients working for regulatory or associated bodies. Complete copies of emails sent / received can, of course, be added to a core document by way of clarification but nothing beats the visual impact of a series of screen-shot inserts spread over a couple of A4 pages each with its own damning caption.

Whichever methodology is chosen, however, the advice remains as before:

Never, ever, waste your time, telephoning your energy supplier about a dispute.

Suppliers want you to ring them. Not write to them. Suppliers want to give you verbal assurances that can be denied, not written statements that cannot be disputed. Suppliers want you to play the game their way. . .

. . . which is exactly what every punter does, every time they reach for the phone and then sit there for a small eternity, waiting to be connected to a Very Nice Person who will likely promise everything though deliver nothing in a telephone conversation which the supplier may later say never occurred at all.

It baffles me that otherwise intelligent human beings seem utterly clueless when it comes to representing their own best interests. They'll complain in general about this, that and the other but do absolutely nothing to alter the situation when it comes to their turn.

The UK's energy supply companies have justifiably earned a bad Press and are justifiably the butt of criticism from hundreds if not thousands of consumers . . . consumers who in the event of a problem, pick up the phone and ring them -- as if an angry, or even affable, phone call will achieve anything.

What will change the behaviour of energy suppliers is not the sound of the phone ringing but the sound of silence. Not a single telephone call from a single complainant to a single so-called customer service agent. . .

. . . but instead, a mailbox full of Royal Mail Certified Delivery complaints letters, not one of which can be denied and not one of which can be ignored.
  • fussypensioner
    Options
    Just googled how to screen shot, obviously never had the need to do it before, and successfully screen shot my emails into a word document - great fun.
  • Onbudsman
    Onbudsman Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    A telephone conversation that produces nothing and is incapable of future verification is no kind of telephone conversation at all. An email that produces nothing is, however, documentary evidence of the attempted transmission of a complaint. A written letter sent by snail mail -- to which I referred to in my post -- is then conclusive documentary evidence, especially when (as in my own case) it includes print-outs of the screen captures of the original emails.

Energy supply companies are very keen to have customers telephoning them in the event of a complaint or dispute. Has it ever occurred to you to wonder why?

Dont you worry, I already have enough of an email trail to trash EE with if I so wish to do so.
    I simply wanted a verbal discussion with a fellow human being instead of simply writing a passage which hasnt and most likely isnt going to be replied back too by EE.

Im happy for now and will revert back to being unhappy once my next DD has been taken and yet no bill has been received which is now 2 months over due!
  • Tara180
    Tara180 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    MEMBER02 wrote: »
    person from the ombudsman contacted me today to let me know they have made a ruling on ee and i will receive the report soon,they said that ee hadnt responded to any correspondance the ombudsman submitted to them so it was a straight forward case,so we will see how long it takes ee to comply with the ombudsmans rulings

It will be interesting to see if EE respond to my small claims court against them or will they ignore ? Time will tell, they have until May 11th to respond :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure