Add your feedback on energy supplier Extra Energy

Options

Comments

• Tara180
    Tara180 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Further to my small claims court against EE, submitted on 23/04/2015and it was issued to EE on 27/04/2015. Watch this space
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 28 April 2015 at 4:15PM
    Options
    Been with them for over 6 months; like others no bill yet. Did a check at:- http://www.ukpower.co.uk/tools/smart_meter_calculator/ to work out my bill. Fortunately i'm in debit (not too much) , so not bothered if they don't bill me.

Making sure your DD is on the low side start off with is always a good plan. Sounds like there's a good chance EE will never collect a debit anyway even if they do manage to create a bill. They are a brilliant (if, doomed) company as far as I'm concerned !
  • Victor_Delta
    Options
    Mr_K wrote: »
    They are a brilliant (if, doomed) company as far as I'm concerned !
    I know what you mean but not sure I'd use the word 'brilliant' in connection with EE!
  • Hern
    Hern Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    The percentage of start-up businesses that fail is, if I remember aright, depressingly high.

From a consumer's point of view then, start-up troubles and start-up failures need to be confined as far as possible to commercial sectors where typical problems of operational dysfunction, administrative ineptitude and chronic under-resourcing are not going to seriously impact on individual and family life.

That's particularly important in the case of life-vital supplies of gas and electricity, where costs are high and service has to be commensurate -- has to be: no ifs, not buts. Has to be.

Post #536 on this thread from Extra Energy's Jo Robertson spells out very clearly what the situation is where this company is concerned:

Like any start-up business we have our challenges and things don’t always go to plan, BUT, we’re working hard to get it right and we’re almost there.

Unfortunately for Ms Robertson, a licensed UK energy supplier cannot be "like any start-up business".

It cannot stumble, totter, flounder, flail. It cannot be "almost there" towards getting it right.

It has a licence to operate and that licence does not include within it some kind of bizarre grace period under which the operator is allowed to perform "like any start-up business" and be "almost there" in attaining the expected standard of service provision in respect of which its licence was awarded.

New entrants into any commercial sector are, of course, always to be welcome because they broaden consumer choice and, theoretically, stimulate competition.

But in the case of new entrants to the energy supply sector -- as with new entrants to the UK retail banking sector -- that welcome must be tempered with regulatory awareness of the fact that start-up problems cannot be accepted because of the nature of the consequences arising from any such problems.

How Extra Energy managed to be persuasive enough to obtain a licence to operate in the UK will never be known. But if ever there was a case for the regulatory stress-testing of an operational service model before the grant of licence, then Extra Energy is very evidently it.

The first thing, then, that any EE customer who is suffering financial loss or personal distress needs to do after the upcoming General Election is to write to his or her new Member of Parliament.

The letter should set out the details of their experience and ask the MP for both an explanation from the Secretary of State for Energy as to how any unproven start-up energy supply business is allowed a licence to trade in the first place, and what the Secretary of State now intends to do about the manifest problems, up to and including civil court action, which the "almost getting there" Extra Energy is so obviously encountering.

Remember: newly elected MPs in the first flush of Parliamentary success are more indebted to their electors than ever they are to their local agent or local party. They love to hit the ground running. Extra Energy, or so it seems, certainly offers them the chance of racking up an impressive mileage. . .

• angyb11
    angyb11 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I joined Extra Energy august 2014 and yet to receive a bill and yet they say you get one after 6 months. i have telephoned them numerous times but still don't get one.
    Has anyone else had this problem.
  • angyb11
    Options
    have noticed i am not alone in not receiving a bill. have phoned them several times
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a thread on MSE about my dad's problems with EE.
    This Friday he would of been with EE for 1 year. In that time he has not had a gas bill but has called/emailed asking for one.
    Yesterday he rings me up saying he is overdrawn and the reason why is EE have taken the DD out on 28/04/2015 and not the 1st of the month which is this Friday.
    Last night I checked his bank and its correct. I checked his EE account and they have taken out the £86 a few days early.
    All his pensions money goes in on the last day of the month and he has a free overdraft but its not the point is it?
    I have sent emails off to EE but I wont hold my breathe waiting for a reply.
  • angyb11
    Options
    seems odd doesn't it . mine shows in credit but its only because they haven't produced a bill.
  • angyb11
    Options
    Fortunately mine comes out on the 15th of the month so bank holiday does not affect me but not good for your father:(
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    angyb11 wrote: »
    seems odd doesn't it . mine shows in credit but its only because they haven't produced a bill.

Mum in law joined 6 June 14 and still awaiting bill. Not worried because she is about£600 debit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure