Ryanair's new 7-day check-in rules

Options

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Congratulations to Ryanair on their great new website.
    Seamlessly booked several new flights and upgraded several older bookings with allocated seating and priority boarding to avail of the return journey being beyond 7 days and getting my hand-luggage on board.
    This cost me an extra €7 per flight - what's the big deal ? A toasted panini on board costs more than that !

Again for the hard of hearing.

YOU KNEW ABOUT THE EXTRA CHARGES WHEN YOU BOOKED.

You were able to make an informed decision and you weren't saddled with a retrospective charge and inconvenience weeks before travel.

Why is it so hard to understand that that is what people are peeved with? It doesn't matter whether it's €7 or €70 per person, it's not what people agreed to at the time they booked.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    Why is it so hard to understand that that is what people are peeved with? It doesn't matter whether it's €7 or €70 per person, it's not what people agreed to at the time they booked.

You are absolutely right, these surprise extra charges at the time of trying to check in are totally unacceptable.

I had the opposite experience with BA last week. My flight came with a suitcase allowance of 23KG but my case was over 26KG, whoops! I was expecting a charge, but they checked it in (yes, they did it for me, no messing about with online check in) with no comment made, and no extra charges.

It's true my BA flight did cost £88 which some would say is expensive, but Ryanair would have charged me £40 for a 20KG suitcase plus £70 excess baggage, then add on that surprise £5 seat fee...that's before the cost of the actual flight! I enjoyed my free sandwich and glass of wine on board thinking how I had saved money by avoiding a 'low cost' airline.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had the opposite experience with BA last week. My flight came with a suitcase allowance of 23KG but my case was over 26KG, whoops! I was expecting a charge, but they checked it in (yes, they did it for me, no messing about with online check in) with no comment made, and no extra charges.
    I had a different experience with BA a couple of months ago. I was checking in my 26kg suitcase in Madrid for an economy flight, and despite my OneWorld gold status being in the booking, the check-in agent complained that I was over the weight limit. Once I pointed out my gold status (which entitles me to 32kg), she completed the check-in.
  • losthour
    losthour Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Does Alicante airport have printing facilities (their website is sh*te)?

Not a fan of this new 'customer friendly' Ryanair. Don't think it has been well advertised.
  • jeluge123
    Options
    Hi, Just noticed something on the Ryanair website. In there terms and conditions it says that if you fail to check in online within the new 7 day rule (unless you fork out for pre-allocated seating) and turn up at the airport you'll have to pay an airport check in fee as set out in the 'Consolidated Table of Fees'.

Nothing new there then.. however when I looked at this 'Consolidated Table of Fees' it has two columns and scrolling down to the 'Airport Check-In fee. It says £70 if the flight was purchased at an Airport or Call Centre, but if the original purchase was made direct through ryanair.com the fee is "n/a"!!!

Does this mean that they aren't charging airport check in fees any more so long as you have booked on the website? This would solve the issue of printing return boarding passes if you can now check in at airport without incurring a fee.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jeluge123 wrote: »
    however when I looked at this 'Consolidated Table of Fees' it has two columns and scrolling down to the 'Airport Check-In fee. It says £70 if the flight was purchased at an Airport or Call Centre, but if the original purchase was made direct through ryanair.com the fee is "n/a"!!!
    At http://www.ryanair.com/en/fees/ the two price columns don't refer to how the flight was originally purchased but how the additional fee is purchased. The reason that it shows "n/a" is because it's impossible to buy the "Airport Check In Fee" online, only at the airport. Therefore the charge is always £70 or €70.
  • paulo1888
    paulo1888 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2014 at 10:02AM
    Options
    Ryanair Post
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't need to search for a printer if you staying at a remote location. Just check in online, using a smartphone and wifi or any internet terminal, and save the boarding passes as PDFs. Use the printing facilities at your departing airport.

:rotfl: You think Crete airport is going to have printing facilities?
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • PeteDoff
    Options
    Why do you think printers are not available in other countries?

Cos they're foreign! don't you ever read the Daily Mail!!!!

:o
    Turning left avoids some of the idiots (only some)
  • bernieA
    bernieA Posts: 11 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The 7 day check-in rule is deliberately awkward for Ryanair customers. You cannot print off your boarding pass and be allocated a seat until 7 days before your flight unless you pay £9 per flight per passenger. As most people go on holiday for 7 days or more it means that you have to print off your return flight boarding pass while you are away on holiday. This is always inconvenient and often difficult or even impossible. The only reason for the 7 day rule is because they see it as an easy way of imposing extra charges. Either we pay the fee up front or risk having to pay 70 Euro each for a manual check-in at the airport.

There is another way round the above printer problem and that is to download the Ryanair app on to your mobile phone. You can then check-in while you are away and you do not need to print a boarding pass, your boarding pass(es) is downloaded to your mobile and you simply display this at the check-in desk/security etc. JUST DON'T RUN OUT OF CHARGE!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure