We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Ryanair's new 7-day check-in rules

Options

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Going to the cinema later, no charge for sitting together.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    rustyboy21 wrote: »
    So according to two Ryanair 'loyal' customers, they are against them charging for seat allocation, but have no issue with them putting the price on the ticket straight away, what is the sense in that?
    All it means, is that someone who may be going for a long weekend is going to be charged the same amount as someone who goes for 4 weeks. That, IMO isn't fair. It is just making it dearer for the less well off, who cannot afford to have 4 weeks away, who can just about afford to have a long weekend, whilst offsetting YOUR price onto them!

Seems a bit selfish to me. Or do you mean, others, who are less well off, shouldn't be going on holiday anyway?

In case you hadn't noticed Ryanair is a business not a charity. No airline in the world gives a toss how many days,weeks,months or years you are going away for.
    They're in the buiness of maximising profits for their share-holders and it would seem Michael O'Leary is doing a pretty good job for them by giving his customers what they want.
    Finding somewhere to check-in and print off boarding passes is a minor inconvenience on holiday and certainly more preferably than standing in line at a check-in desk at some sweaty Spanish airport which is how it used to be done before Ryanair revolutionised air travel in Europe.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    You would probably pay the same anyway if you were going for a long weekend as you would if going for 4 weeks.

The flight prices are just per flight. No account is taken of how long you will be away for.

You wouldn't. They are only going away for 4 days, so they can book in for both flights, without paying for seats, prior to going.

What you are suggesting, is that they get hit with the allocation charge too, even though they are within time scales, which, to me, is wrong.

I agree with what Tom has said, it is a minor inconvenience to find somewhere to check in whilst away. There are many, many places in all resorts, even out of resorts, where it can be done.

Ryanair, are only setting their stall in the same way that other airlines operate. At least they are not charging you to check in online, unlike Jet2. They charge £28 for 2 for online, £52 for 2 at airport, plus seat allocation. They also give a warning that you won't be sat together and start allocating from the rear of the aircraft, if you don't book seats at £8.50 cheapest. They have 50 aircraft and flew over 5 million last year, so still a small airline, but a good one.

I know and appreciate that some of you have found a cheap way to get to your holiday homes about 20 times a year, but they are a business, they can set their stall up, however they like, if it shows later that it isn't working, they will change it, but for the moment, you are stuck with it. If it were me and it was happening to me, I would book seats, £10 return is here nor there, a coffee costs you £4.00 ! You are going on holiday to distress, not to get yourself into such a tizzy before hand with having a moan at a perfect rule change to benefit a lot more people then you.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know about you...but I'd NEVER pay £4 for a coffee!!!
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2014 at 5:43PM
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    I don't know about you...but I'd NEVER pay £4 for a coffee!!!
    Then it is you being that type of passenger, who makes it dearer for everyone else to fly. The sale of extra's on board, is what the flight actually runs on. It is not like filling up your car at the local garage forecourt, it costs approx. £49 each passenger to provide enough fuel for the plane to do it's journey one way and that is if it is a full flight . Add on airport landing fees, maintenance, staff, pilots, water bowser, ATC charge, Ground handling, it adds on quite a bit more.

Looking at that, you can obviously see why they charge for everything, with the price of each booking taken, with the risk that the flight won't be full.

You not buying a drink, no hold luggage, no seat allocation etc, make it dearer for everyone else to fly.

And you want to add on Seat allocation to everyone, even if they are going for 2 days. Bit selfish isn't it

And you talk about us being Trolls ! At least we substantiate our arguments!
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rustyboy21 wrote: »
    it costs approx. £49 each passenger to provide enough fuel for the plane to do it is journey one way and that is if it is a full flight .
    So why not charge at least £49 then so that the charges are honest and transparent rather than relying on almost-compulsory charges that are disguised as being optional?
  • NFH
    Options
    Finding somewhere to check-in and print off boarding passes is a minor inconvenience on holiday and certainly more preferably than standing in line at a check-in desk at some sweaty Spanish airport which is how it used to be done before Ryanair revolutionised air travel in Europe.
    Other airlines like British Airways were offering remote check-in for years before Ryanair. In the same way, mobile boarding passes are offered by most airlines whereas Ryanair is still lagging behind and requiring environmentally-unfriendly A4 paper-printed boarding passes.
  • NFH
    Options
    CCFC_80 wrote: »
    O'leary has clearly scored an own goal here as why not just add on the allocated seat charge to the price of the ticket.
    Because if he added the seat charge to the advertised fare, it wouldn't achieve his objective of legitimising a misleading indication of price on the advertised fare.
  • NFH
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Or fly with somebody else if it bothers you and others so much?
    The people we are discussing are those who have already made the booking without their attention being drawn to this unusual and unfair booking condition.
  • NFH
    Options
    When is the best time to check in on Ryanair to get a "randomly" allocated window seat? Are they allocating window seats to those who check in early or holding them back to sell at a premium to those who might want to pay?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport