March's 2014 BR Club

Options

Comments

• IF
    IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    blimey 7yrs since my BR (12th March 2007)

good luck to anyone either thinking or on the road to BR

Here's to the 12th Phil :beer:
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • CoffeeBean_2
    Options
    Thanks IF

I will let you know how I get on tomorrow ........

Also just been for a counselling session which was hard going. Lots of tears and anxiety.

Thanks for the checklist

CB
  • IF
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CoffeeBean wrote: »
    Thanks IF

I will let you know how I get on tomorrow ........

Also just been for a counselling session which was hard going. Lots of tears and anxiety.

Thanks for the checklist

CB

We all know how you feel CB, deep breaths and you'll be fine.

This was my experience in court (experiences vary slightly depending on the court) I had an appointment:-
    You go to the court, speak to the clerk they will go over the forms, they take the money. You swear that the forms are true. Then you'll be asked to wait, the judge may or may not see you (He will ask you if you sought advice, you say "yes' you name your debt charity that helped you). Then you leave and wait for the clerk to give you your Bankruptcy Order, ( sometimes this is sent to you later) you then Speak to the OR's clerk on the phone they'll ask you a few questions and you ask them you wish to use your coop/barclays basic account as your pay and DD's go through it. They say they will speak to the bank and they have no interest in it. It can take between 1 or 2 hours....although sometimes it can be quicker. The Clerk’s were professional, respectful and very helpful. As was the Judge, who looked younger than me!!!!

Then you go home and have a nice cup of tea and chocolate !!

If it's the Courts of Justice in London these thread's may help:-

onward’s thread - Click here

Hanky3 thread - Click here

Remember these are quite old threads now and do check times by ringing the court and the fees maybe wrong too.

IF
  • CoffeeBean_2
    Options
    Thanks IF
    fingers crossed it goes smoothly, its the unknown worrying me!
    I have all my paperwork ready with the copies and will just read over it tomorrow to triple check everything!
    Looking forward to the brew after it all
    Thanks
    CB
  • IF
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 March 2014 at 10:50PM
    Options
    I went to court and became bankrupt on 27th Feb, I am really nervous about official receiver's telephone call, I have suffered from depression, panic attacks and anxiety and agoraphobia the problem is, because I have been on benefits since June 2010 my debts have spiralled as I am divorced and, my ex husband would not help my 2 children as much as he could during their time at university, my daughter is still at Uni, and I have had to use credit cards to help not only myself but my children and also help them through catalogues with clothing, bedding, household items, books etc and have got myself in the position where I was robbing peter to pay paul, all the while hoping that I would get well enough to be able to go back to work again, but this is not going to happen, in February of this year I had a heart attack and I am only 47, I am putting this down to a few things, last year I contracted pneumonia and stopped breathing and was ventilated, and the stress of being always in debt and having to help my 2 children out also, I do not know how to explain all this to the official receiver when he rings. I know I have been silly to allow my ex to get away with not helping, also he was a bully and I left him/signed over our house, car, contents and started again 13 years ago, and also to give so much help to my children. How can I explain all of this????

Hiya sundance296, I will add your name to February's BR Club, please do start a thread on the main board as you will receive more replies and I don't want your post lost on here

Fermi has moved your post to your own thread, click on blue link below

-- > http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4912066

Best wishes
    IF
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I went to court and became bankrupt on 27th Feb, I am really nervous about official receiver's telephone call, I have suffered from depression, panic attacks and anxiety and agoraphobia the problem is, because I have been on benefits since June 2010 my debts have spiralled as I am divorced and, my ex husband would not help my 2 children as much as he could during their time at university, my daughter is still at Uni, and I have had to use credit cards to help not only myself but my children and also help them through catalogues with clothing, bedding, household items, books etc and have got myself in the position where I was robbing peter to pay paul, all the while hoping that I would get well enough to be able to go back to work again, but this is not going to happen, in February of this year I had a heart attack and I am only 47, I am putting this down to a few things, last year I contracted pneumonia and stopped breathing and was ventilated, and the stress of being always in debt and having to help my 2 children out also, I do not know how to explain all this to the official receiver when he rings. I know I have been silly to allow my ex to get away with not helping, also he was a bully and I left him/signed over our house, car, contents and started again 13 years ago, and also to give so much help to my children. How can I explain all of this????

Moved to a new thread. :)

---> http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4912066
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • IF
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fermi wrote: »

Thank you fermi :A
  • IF
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bump........:starmod:
  • CoffeeBean_2
    Options
    Well I went to court today and it's been made official.

Was no where near as bad as I thought although I was sat for about 2 hours feeling sick and anxious. Thankfully had my OH with me for support.

Just saw the court official, signed the paperwork and handed over the money, waited what felt like forever and got given my paperwork and receipt and the Judge had signed it all off without needing to see me.

I have been told the OR will call me tomorrow afternoon for a 5 minute chat and then to arrange a face to face or telephone interview. Scared and anxious but have faced today so will keep going.

Feeling a little relieved but still stress about it all.
    Tomorrow I need to tell work, I have already taken advice and reassured my job wont be effected. Fingers crossed, I'm putting it in writing tonight so I wont have to worry about what to say.

CB x
  • SomebodyToldMe
    Options
    Dear all,

Today I joined the March BR club too.
    I would say get there about 30 mins before your booked appointment- enough time to find where you are supposed to be and go through security checks.
    I took the required 3 copies of the forms- to my horror I signed them the day before but dated them today- clerk wasn't bothered I signed before.
    Court was very busy- had to return 2 hours later, and then the Judge wanted to see me.
    I was asked about a life insurance policy- had to clarify it was not an endowment policy, would only pay out if I popped my cloggs, was asked if I had taken advice- a yes was sufficient for him- and warned about the problems of getting credit etc while BR.
    Finally he stamped a paper and said as of a minute ago I don't owe anyone anything- debts in hands of OR.
    Mixed emotions now- feel sad I have failed to manage my finances properly but glad I won't be contributing to some blood sucking bank's fat annual profit
    Now dreading the OR's call- is there a specific amount they grill you about? e.g. do they ignore anything under £500?
    Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport