March's 2014 BR Club

Options

Comments

• cancatsdance
    Options
    Well 1 hour 30 minutes and a few costa's and I'm bankrupt woop. Quite an uneventful process really. Top tips bring a book or a fully charged iPhone.
  • woodformoretrees
    Options
    Well 1 hour 30 minutes and a few costa's and I'm bankrupt woop. Quite an uneventful process really. Top tips bring a book or a fully charged iPhone.

Glad it went well - and very good tip about the fully charged phone.
    AD March 2014
    rebuilding my life :grinheart
  • Mr_F_Dorsetty
    Options
    Well, I am at the 5 year point myself, it was either February or March 2009 I went through; I can't remember to be honest.

There is an interesting disparity in views I always find between those who have never been bankrupt, those about to go bankrupt and those who have been bankrupt:

* Those who have never been bankrupt tend to say things like - It's terrible, awful, you'll be in a pit of fire and you're morally bankrupt! We know everything about it even though we have never been there... yeah, right. Close the door on the way out.

* Those on the brink are mostly scared to death and their head is basically 'gone'. My advice is read comments by those who have been bankrupt, not those who haven't

* Those who have been bankrupt mostly say things like "What's the big deal? Was that it?"... "For the first time in years I am truly happy! :T That's good because life is not meant to be endless misery, well, not in my book anyway.

In the UK we are taught from birth to consume and surround ourself with 'stuff' plus, "Be good and do as you're told!"

If you have debt beyond your wildest dreams and are drowning in it then bankruptcy is really not the end of the world and is the only real answer for most. I read somewhere not long ago that 80% + of all IVA's end in bankruptcy anyway, which says a lot imo.

Once the 'sword of damocles' which is the debt and the debt chasers is removed your life, it will be so much happier.

But one piece of advice. I see people on here who have been bankrupted and then post "How to rebuild my credit rating!" or similar. Why? What would possess you to get back into that bed?

If you have got yourself out from under the debt, why the ruddy hell would you want to shove yourself back under it again?

Don't do it, live different.
    I am not offering advice, at most I describe what I've experienced. My advice is always the same; Talk to a professional face to face.

Debt - None of any type: Bank or any other accounts? - None: Anything in my name? No. Am I being buried in my wife's name... probably :cool:
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I'm so pleased all went well and I thought you may of read my post 11 -- > http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=64865029&postcount=11 that's why I didn't post it again for you yesterday.

Here's to your new start :beer:

congrats22.gif
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • IF
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please everyone, could we not post any more replies to Mr F Dorsetty on here, I understand everyone's frustrations as they are mine too, but it is for newcomers mainly.

Thank you
    IF
  • IF
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This club is for everyone who has gone or going through the process of Bankruptcy during March 2014. So please feel free to join and post.

Often a kind word can help just as much as the information you receive on here.

IF
  • IF
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bump..........:staradmin
  • CoffeeBean_2
    Options
    Hi all

I had my OR interview last week which went okay though a bit confusing at times. I have some more paperwork to fill in.

My bank said I would be fine keeping the account open and then out of the blue yesterday I could not use my card or get cash out. I just called them and apparently I was given wrong information.

On a plus note work have been great with me

CB x
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    What bank was that CB?
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • CoffeeBean_2
    Options
    Lloyds.
    I thought it would be a problem but the advice I got from them was that it would be ok, if only I had used my gut feeling!
    I will go to Barclays tomorrow and see if I can open a basic account with them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure