The Sewing Room (part 2)

Options

Comments

• *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trix-a-belle I look forward to the pictures. I've forgotton how I used to upload them here
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Yes it was 2years in September! Time is flying by so fast.
    I am going to be making changes this year to try to make it more profitable and pay more wages to me!
    Today is the first day back and I have two evening gowns and a jacket to alter. So unless I get a lot through the door it will be game on for me to work on lesson structure and practice on the machines.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening all. I'm a regular reader so now I have a question I can't think of a better group of people to ask !

My sister is looking for a new sewing machine and fancies the Janome 7025 which is a John Lewis exclusive. She wants a good solid machine but doesn't need loads of embroidery stitches/functions.

Do any of you own this machine or another in its price bracket of £219.

Thanks
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Janome are good machines. You will find that the "exclusive" machine will probably be the same as one of their other machines on the inside and just have a special outer casing for JL and number, that technically can then be exclusively there's.
    The only machines that are really a waste of money are the junior machines and the £50-£60 bug machines made by most of the manufacturers.
    I would never sell those.
    I personally am an agent for a different supplier but I use Brother, janome, Silver, Singer and Necchi machines on a regular basis, and I have a Toyota Jean Machine at home, but I would not really recommend that one.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • ERICS_MUM
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    Janome are good machines. You will find that the "exclusive" machine will probably be the same as one of their other machines on the inside and just have a special outer casing for JL and number, that technically can then be exclusively there's.
    The only machines that are really a waste of money are the junior machines and the £50-£60 bug machines made by most of the manufacturers.
    I would never sell those.
    I personally am an agent for a different supplier but I use Brother, janome, Silver, Singer and Necchi machines on a regular basis, and I have a Toyota Jean Machine at home, but I would not really recommend that one.

Thank you so much, I know you sew professionally so this is very useful feedback. Xx
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a janome and an elna (one sewing machine and one overlocker)- the machines of both companies are made in the same factories and are thought to be pretty much the same on the inside. I don't have that model buy love both my machines.
    I'd recommend your sister goes in and test drives any she is thinking of- my local sewing shop will happily let you test out the machines and run through them with you.
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • ERICS_MUM
    Options
    *Jellie* wrote: »
    I have a janome and an elna (one sewing machine and one overlocker)- the machines of both companies are made in the same factories and are thought to be pretty much the same on the inside. I don't have that model buy love both my machines.
    I'd recommend your sister goes in and test drives any she is thinking of- my local sewing shop will happily let you test out the machines and run through them with you.

I didn't know that. We do have a local shop selling all the main brands, I'll suggest my sister goes in. Thank you. Xx
  • trix-a-belle
    trix-a-belle Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    finally got round to uploading my upholstery pieces so far, more soon to be added...
    my day bed from the course I took at Diss School of Upholstery
    day%20bed.jpg

A matching footstool I followed up with
    footstool.jpg

my christmas nursing chair project
    nursing%20chair.jpg

I am currently working on a dining chair to use at my sewing machine, binding on a car carpet, a bus bench seat and soon 2 car seats (one for my classic car, one for a friend to use as a desk chair)
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Great looking furniture Trix.
    I've spent some time cutting out some 5 inch squares I'm going to make a start on a puff quilt, I need to cut up an old sheet in to 4 inch squares for the backs.
    It won't be a very varied quilt as I don't have many different fabrics and I'm not spending any money on it as I have the stuffing already.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • trix-a-belle
    trix-a-belle Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    thanks Hester
    the quilt sounds a lovely project, perhaps you could do some dying of what you have to give some variety using naturally foraged or round the home things?
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure