The Sewing Room (part 2)

Options

Comments

• nykied
    nykied Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    I've not been on here for ages, been lurking on the Vegas thread.

For Christmas, I've got a dressmaker dummy and an overlocker. I'm so excited!
  • Yorkshire_Celt
    Options
    Don,t know what to do so I thought of you great people. So upset. My Silver 9000e sewing machine has gone CLUNK. AGAIN. :eek: It is seven years old. I was making dolls clothes, nothing difficult or heavy duty, and timing has gone. Exactly the same thing happened a year ago and it cost me £100 to fix it. Realised I never use all the fancy bells and whistles. My OH says I might as well go and buy a brand new basic machine for that money and get much more than one trouble free year from it. He thinks he could maybe learn to service it too if its basic mechanical with no electronic gizmos. I am in a real quandry trying to decide. Also busy hand sewing the doll clothes for Christmas. Grrr. Please can anyone offer their thoughts ? :(
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    bzzagent010_zps14f363fd.jpg?1418236994984&1418236996171

Merry Christmas everyone.:wave::xmastree:

This is a peg bag or hang in your bedroom bag I have made out of recycled material.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • tootallulah
    Options
    Yorkshire Celt, I would get a simple mechanical machine from EBay but one of the very good makes, Bernina, Elna, Viking Husquevana. Or a really basic modern Janome. I like the 80s Elnas and Berninas, and yes they are simple enough to be maintained at home, no electronics to deal with. Also you sometimes see them for sale in dealers when they have bee traded in.
  • Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all :) I haven't been on here that I can remember. I have been on some of the other forums and I am delighted to find here. I have always enjoyed knitting but am really interested in learning to sew well, and have a sewing machine and lots of fabric etc. I have ordered some patterns in a sale waiting on them coming and have attempted to make my d grandson a little book bag. I would love to pop on here when I have the chance to, and hopefully pick up tips and see what others are making. I think what you all have made is so lovely and would love to make things for gifts perhaps next Christmas :) I would love to know where you lovely ladies found the little squares which are sewn onto the cushions? thanks in advance Margaret :)
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    lol I have just read back here and see I popped on in April 2007 head like a sieve :)
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • ejbg2001
    ejbg2001 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, this is my first time on the thread and wow you have all been busy with some fab makes.

An earlier poster was asking about making paper patterns last and I remembered a yootoob (I think) vid where the yootoober backed her paper pattern with iron-on interfacing, then cut it out, making it easier to handle and making it last longer for multiple copies in different fabrics. I saw it and thought wow how simple yet effective.

I am not very good at sewing but in order to improve my skills I joined a local education sewing class. It was great, with plenty of room to cut fabric/patterns and friendly help and support throughout the process. I find it difficult to get organised to sew at home so the time I spend in class getting direction and encouragement has paid off in helping me master paper patterns. I now have a tunic top, a vest top and two pairs of trousers as well as access to higher spec sewing machines than my little old clunker at home.

In the new year I hope to be making handbags and more clothes with the stash I now have as we can't get into the craft room to use it (ooops).

Love the tree and the brooches/decs, keep up the good work ladies.
    EJBG2001

I'm not complaining, I'm supporting the process of continuous improvement. :p

Stepping off the property ladder for now, may climb back on later.

• LunaNytshade
    Options
    Hey I'm interested in purchasing my first proper sewing machine. I have a little experience but it's been many years, though I'm wanting to invest in something I can grow in to as I get more practiced. Here's the one I'm considering:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4602387.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

It would be used for all sorts of projects, including embroidery and quilting. Thoughts would be appreciated - if I'm going too wild :P
    [STRIKE]Career development loan (03/11/12) £4500[/STRIKE] Cleared 2.5 years early, saving £390 :D
    House Deposit Goal - 15/15k
  • knitwit67
    knitwit67 Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have not posted on here before but I thought you might like to see my table makeover using up some lovely fabric. My skills are not great and I did make it as I went along but I am pleased how they turn out. Sorry I can't work out how to upload pic's , advice would be great thanks, but for now hopefully this will work https://www.simplyinstitches.blogspot.co.uk
    Sew it, knit it, glue it, reuse it , don't buy it
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Wow Knitwit67 your tables look fab. Thank you for sharing your photo.

I sometimes put a photo on MSE from my old dest top computer , I have not worked out yet how to do it from my ipad mini that I am on now.
    I upload photo's from camera onto desk top. Next load the photo onto photobucket and once it is on the hoasting site I copy and paste the photo onto - well under the writing I have done by pressing edit.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure