The Trials & Tribulations of Trying to Conceive when its just not happening (12m+)

Options

Comments

• picklekin
    picklekin Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    Hope all goes well GTS.

I feel very out of sorts today, probably just because its Monday, but I watched an episode of How I Met Your Mother where there is a pregnancy announcement and had to sneak off and go to the loo for a sniffle. Its this dreamed of moment I look forward to so much, although for me it wont ever be that way as we are both waiting for the day, watching the calender and lining up the pee sticks!

And.. my foot hurts *sulks*.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    *hugs* pickle. I had a day like that on Saturday - not too upset, just out of sorts. I almost had a sniffle when I walked past the shop where I got my wedding dress, remembering how exciting the wedding planning was and how exciting the future was at that point! Think I scared DH when I told him about those thoughts. :o

It's hard to snap yourself out of it on those days. I usually just go with it, take it easy that day (as far as possible) and start afresh tomorrow. :)

Good luck, GTS!
  • mrsvicx
    mrsvicx Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, sorry that some of you have had rubbish weekends.

I went to a party on Saturday night, and was asked by a husband of one of my friends how my "two children" are. When I looked confused, he gave me that look that said "when will the next one arrive". Seriously, my DS is 7. You would think that people would have more sense than to keep asking - (and to be fair, its very rare that people do actually ask now!).

I just gave him "the look" and walked away....
    10/10 [STRIKE]£12,156.26 [/STRIKE] 11/10 [STRIKE]£11,950[/STRIKE] 04/11[STRIKE] £12,500 [/STRIKE]Ooops! Okay, back on track - 01/2014 £2,800, 05/2014 £4,500 (my car died!)

My little angel (due date 25/12/2014) :A 05/2014
  • codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    picklekin wrote: »
    Hope all goes well GTS.

I feel very out of sorts today, probably just because its Monday, but I watched an episode of How I Met Your Mother where there is a pregnancy announcement and had to sneak off and go to the loo for a sniffle. Its this dreamed of moment I look forward to so much, although for me it wont ever be that way as we are both waiting for the day, watching the calender and lining up the pee sticks!

And.. my foot hurts *sulks*.

I remember we had just found out that the surgical sperm retrieval had a less than 2% chance of being effective. There was a repeat of HIMYM on and it was the one where she finds out about her first pregnancy and i just freaked and demanded DH turn it over. Then the more recent one upset me too. They did have an infertilty storyline but it was just "you'll never have a baby", "oh well", whereas in reality its a bit more grieving than that. I suppose it doesn't make for good tv though.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • picklekin
    picklekin Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, they always are a bit like that, or like Grey's Anatomy - "no you can't have a baby, oh well we'll just have this baby that is hanging around, oh , wait look we are pregnant anyway".(I forgive you Grey's but it did nark me!). Only half decent story was on the Archers...
  • pinkteapot
    edited 7 July 2014 at 11:33AM
    Options
    Best has to be Friends, when Phoebe had ET then POAS later the same day and got a BFP.

Charlotte's story on Sex and the City was handled relatively well (and played well by Kristin Davis). Recently rewatched the series and this storyline had far more impact on me than it did when I was 20!
  • codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    Best has to be Friends, when Phoebe had ET then POAS later the same day and got a BFP.

Charlotte's story on Sex and the City was handled relatively well (and played well by Kristin Davis). Recently rewatched the series and this storyline had far more impact on me than it did when I was 20!

But again it was a whole "No you cant have a baby", "OK then we'll adopt a Chinese one", "Oh look, I went on holiday and now I'm pregnant".

There was one in Rules of Engagement too which went into surrogacy but again, they got their baby from the surrogate and then she got pregnant naturally.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    The SATC episode where Charlotte is totally freaking out at Miranda for daring to get pg really hit home for me. Let's face it, we all know when we're being unreasonable about other people's fertility but sometimes it just feels so personal.
  • mrsvicx
    mrsvicx Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    tea_lover wrote: »
    The SATC episode where Charlotte is totally freaking out at Miranda for daring to get pg really hit home for me. Let's face it, we all know when we're being unreasonable about other people's fertility but sometimes it just feels so personal.

Yep - been there!! My sister in law is currently pregnant and she came to visit for my DS's birthday (about an hours travel). This was only two weeks or so about the mc. She was aware, and had sent a lovely card to say she was thinking of us, but I totally ignored her for the whole visit (we were in a restaurant, with about 12 other people, so it didnt cause an atmosphere). I knew exactly what I was doing, but was totally thrown at how awful I felt when I saw her (and the fact that she, my MIL and FIL kept referring to her baby the whole time she was there.)

I did email her the following day to apologise for my behaviour and she was fine about it, but I know, for a fact that if she caught me in the same mood again, I would do exactly the same!

She also invited me to her baby shower at the end of July.:eek::eek:

Im just not sure she "gets it" :o
    10/10 [STRIKE]£12,156.26 [/STRIKE] 11/10 [STRIKE]£11,950[/STRIKE] 04/11[STRIKE] £12,500 [/STRIKE]Ooops! Okay, back on track - 01/2014 £2,800, 05/2014 £4,500 (my car died!)

My little angel (due date 25/12/2014) :A 05/2014
  • pinkteapot
    Options
    codemonkey wrote: »
    But again it was a whole "No you cant have a baby", "OK then we'll adopt a Chinese one", "Oh look, I went on holiday and now I'm pregnant".

There was an element of that certainly, but it was better than most TV representations and her story did at least go on over years. The shame was that the show was totally centred on Carrie (worst. character. ever.) because Sarah Jessica Parker was in charge. Charlotte and Miranda had much more interesting storylines but they weren't given the screen-time they deserved.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback