October 2014 anyone?

Options

Comments

• AutumnLeaf
    AutumnLeaf Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Don't worry Louise! You're doing great.

OH and I still in the planning phase - deciding exactly what we want.

I take the view there is absolutely no point worrying about anything beyond the legal aspect and making sure there's enough to eat and drink. Everything will come together in good time.

We're telling our parents next weekend so hopefully will make plans for dress shopping then.

The one thing I have been doing in earnest is going to the gym so hopefully can get the fit I want!

ALx
  • krustylouise
    krustylouise Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Found and bought a dress yesterday. I can't say I saw fireworks etc but it's a nice shape colour and style. It will fit the day, enue and it was only £579 before alterations. It will arrive in about 4 months :)

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• AutumnLeaf
    Options
    Good work Louise! We're getting there.

Well, or secret wedding isn't so secret any more. We told my parents on Friday evening. They were absolutely thrilled. My Mum has been like a kid in a sweet shop all weekend! My folks have had to deal with a lot of family drama without much celebration in recent years so this good news was long over due.

It's actually prompted a bit of planning and a lot of discussion about the wedding. I've booked two appointments to view wedding dresses in 3 weeks (Mum counting down the days!).

Which brings me to a bit of a daft dilemma. They have very generously (and unexpectedly) offered us a sizeable donation to wedding costs. I had planned to try and minimise wedding dress costs by buying from China / second hand but I think my parents would prefer if I spend a significant chunk of that donation on an amazing dress. They are superhard working people and enjoy nice things. They understand the rest of the day will be fairly informal and fun but I think they want the 'wow' factor on a very special dress for their daughter. I have sisters but I am the only one likely to marry anytime soon.

I usually head straight for the sale rail so it goes against my instincts!
  • krustylouise
    krustylouise Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi AL,

That's really nice of your parents isn't it? Understandably they want the best for their daughter :)

Why don't you go and try on dresses see which style you like, dresses are much more expensive than I ever thought they would be to be honest so your parents wishes might be granted anyway.

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2014 at 11:50AM
    Options
    I paid £300 for mine in a sample sale was originally £1000 I'll get a pic of it from our day ones that people have sent to me anyway lol

2evrb83.jpg
    oqdk0k.jpg
    307z4pf.jpg
    219uiba.jpg

Steph xx
  • AutumnLeaf
    Options
    That looks like a great day Steph! And the dress is lovely.

I was thinking maybe something along the lines of 'Kathryn' or 'Sara' from House of Mooshki. Had planned to order a copy but I am only doing this once and OH is getting a bespoke suit.

What do you ladies think of a short dress and unusual shoes? I'm thinking possibly some classic lilac suede courts. Haven't found those yet though....

ALx
  • tillyenna
    tillyenna Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    Wow! "Kathryn" is gorgeous (sorry, lurker September bride here, just had to speak up) seriously, if you can afford that dress, get it! It's beautiful!
    Officially saved enough to cover the cost of our wedding! :A
  • AutumnLeaf
    Options
    Thanks Tily! I have requested a sample be sent to my local stockist so should be able to try on in a week or two. Shall keep you posted.

OH and I had a discussion about honeymoon last night. Original plan was a big trip to America but we're wondering if a couple of weeks on a beach might be more restful after the big day. What are you plans?
  • tillyenna
    tillyenna Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    Take pictures and show us!!!

Also, The Boss and I have awesome plans for our honeymoon. We've taken the week after the wedding off, and we're going to go home, lock the door, and not see anyone, for a WHOLE WEEK! No mothers asking questions about what flavour of cake we want, no-one discussing anything, just peace and quiet. LOL
    Officially saved enough to cover the cost of our wedding! :A
  • AutumnLeaf
    Options
    Appointment is booked for Friday lunchtime with local bridal shop. All a bit strange - they ordered the sample on loan then couldn't offer me an appointment before the loan period ended so they are squeezing me in and have made it very clear there won't be time to try on other dresses... Hmmm. May go direct to the designer if I decide it's the right one.

I can see the appeal of a staycation but we live in a very small flat and OH needs to get out regularly (he's a bit like a big energetic dog in that sense) so I don't think that's an option. I was thinking maybe Greece if it would be warm enough in mid-October?

Is your Mum pestering you Tilly? Mine has only had 5 days to get excited so far but she's definitely had a few random questions!

ALx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport