October 2014 anyone?

Options

Comments

• Stephb1986_2
    Options
    Thanks Steph, I'm just so proud and feel embarrassed asking stuff like that x

See if local bridal shops have a facebook page they usually post up about sample sales that's how I found out.
  • krustylouise
    krustylouise Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not on fb but I will have a look on their websites x

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• snow_ball
    snow_ball Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Search online for bridal outlets to visit too, I got mine from one and it's a similar kind of style to Stephs and it was £399.

Reckon it will cost me around £100 to shorten the length but still a bargain and I love it!
  • AutumnLeaf
    Options
    Hey ladies,

Can I join you? Just confirmed our reception venue for 11th October this year.

Bit of an odd situation as - other than my partner and errr...personal trainer - no-one else knows this is going on!

We decided not to announce an engagement but to organise the whole thing in secret and then just invite people. We wanted to avoid all the nonsense around pleasing other people and running every decision by a committee. Also, we don't want to be wedding bores...A couple of them in our social circle already.

Plan is to tell our families around May and send the invites to guests in August. If you can come, great! If not, that's a shame but we won't lose any sleep over it.

Hoping to keep it quite simple and low key. OH not having a best man and I'm only having my sister for a bridesmaid (no hen do). We're planning on a hog roast and retro biscuits for wedding breakfast followed by a ceilidh.

Only problem with keeping this all to myself is the niggling worries that are creeping in! Big one is the guest list - we have space for 115 but the list is 130 long! 20 are family (6 mine) and 20 are joint friends. 30 are my friends. The other 60 are OH's including cousins I've never met and people from his home village.

This sounds really selfish as these people are important to him but I've never met these people (despite being together for 4 years) and I don't want to spend my wedding day being introduced to people. I want to see the faces of people I know and love. Maybe I'll make OH friends stand at the back....

So, my wedding planning to date: reception booked, hairstyle chosen and errr...a vague idea of theme. Am sure the rest will come together

But shhh! this is our secret.

ALx
  • krustylouise
    Options
    Hi Autumn Leaf and welcome! How exciting, a surprise wedding!!! We couldn't keep it quiet, we both yammer on when we're excited!!! Are you having ceremony and reception in the one spot? x

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

• AutumnLeaf
    Options
    Not sure yet. Reception is a Medieval hall in the centre of city where we live (a big deal of us - we've been dragged to many an expensive wedding in far flung country house hotels which just seems a bit daft). Want most of our guests to be able to stay in their own homes!

Options are a chapel nearby if the Minister will have us or possibly extending the booking and having a civil ceremony at the Hall. OH likes the chapel and I don't mind. Hoping to have that sorted by the end of February.

Am pondering ordering a dress from ebay. We're really fortunate to have well paid jobs and manageable outgoings but I want to keep the budget to £8k max and £700+ for a dress to be worn once seems really wasteful but reviews seem mixed...
  • krustylouise
    Options
    Yes I understand on the dress front, I have a little girl and think that £700+ on a dress could be better used elsewhere, but I obviously don't want to look like a dogs dinner, after all I intend only doing this once! Medieval hall sounds lush! So does chapel, one thought though, if you do the ceremony/reception in one place, it saves the need for transport.

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

• AutumnLeaf
    Options
    Hmm… I’ve seen two dresses I liked online. Worked out I can order them both for £210 inc postage from different suppliers. I was wondering if should order both and then have a trying on session with Mum and sis and bottle of cava thus recreating the wedding dress shopping experience without the pushy sales people / hefty price tag. If it all goes horribly wrong, I will be out of pocket by £200 but if it goes right, I’ve saved myself £500 at least! Determined to avoid wasting money on experiences the “wedding industry” tells me I need so we can focus on the things we want (like a 3 week honeymoon…)

On transport, OH has suggested to drive me and him from chapel to reception in his beloved car. He thinks “she” should get done up (full valet!) and play a part in our day! For guests, it’s actually only a 15 minute walk down the high street and it’s on a bus route. My thinking is we’re not asking many to stay overnight / travel far so they should be able to do this bit themselves.

Nice to air some suggestions!

ALX
  • krustylouise
    Options
    Oh that's a good idea on the dress front!!! I want to avoid shops at all costs but I literally have no idea what shape will suit my shape. So I kind of need to, but doesn't mean I necessarily have to buy from that shop! x

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

• tillyenna
    Options
    Oh my goodness (So not an October bride-to-be but I HAD to crash in for this comment)

@AutmunLeaf - that sounds amazing, you make me wish we hadn't told anyone either, a SUPRISE wedding, best thing EVER.

I am hoping to walk between the church and reception (about 15/20 minute walk, and totally flat) but The Boss seems to think some people will be snotty about doing that (I was hoping to have EVERYONE walking together, like a PARADE, except for obviously, the elderly and disabled (apart from me... damnit I'm going to be walking on my wedding day!) who would meet us there) I personally think it's a LOVELY idea

This seems like redundant advice, as you have the best ideas ever: but do what you and your OH want, nothing more, and nothing less :-D
    Officially saved enough to cover the cost of our wedding! :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport