PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What products do you miss?

Options

Comments

• Tiffany_Aching
    Options
    King Cones. If they are ever going to bring back an ice-cream please let it be King Cones - like Cornetto only nicer and with more flavours.

The rum and raisin ones were The Best Thing Ever :)
    Jan NSD 4/15
    2015 Pay £7000 Off Debt No. 107 £566.51/£7000
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    I loved cremola foam drink, lamb and mint crisps, curry crisps, there was a sweet coconut tobacco in a pouch with a ship on the front, sweet cigarettes, tootie fruities, mintola, and my mam misses the fry's bar, with the different fruit fillings.
  • anniemf2508
    anniemf2508 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    Options
    Strawberry cornetto's when they used to have strawberry sauce in the bottom of the cone rather than solid chocolate
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SM your wallpaper sounds similar to one we had. It was Novamura and was called Peony, enormous pink and purple flowers. My goodness we did think we were trendy, but as you say there was a lot of wastage because the pattern was so large.

With regard to the candlewick bedspread, I was a very naughty girl when I was young because I used to pick the candlewick out. When Mum made my bed in the morning the floor and bed would be covered with these bits. :)

Candlelightx

We had that Peony wallpaper in our bathroom, on the side of the bath too. I thought that was very sophisticated!

When we moved into our present place, DS had a room that had been used as a dining room. It had huge purple swirls on one wall. DS age 13, loved it!:D
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • oldhaggis
    Options
    A few more food based memories.

In the 60s and 70s before the mass advent of the tea bag there was a brand of high quality loose leaved tea from Ceylon (Sri Lanka) called Canchu. It came in a Bordeaux red quarter pound box with a gold stylised Ceylon Lion logo on it. It made a really good cup of tea but I haven’t been able to find any information about it. Can anyone remember the brand?

Also much missed are almond macaroons from M&S. They came in see through packs of 6 or 8 and were about the size of a digestive biscuit. They had a toasted almond on top and rice paper on the underside. Mum always bought them if we had visitors for Sunday afternoon tea.

I also loved M&S caramel sponge, which I haven’t seen for a while. This was one of the cravings I had when I was pregnant in the late 80s. As were the hazelnut and caramel ice cream lollies sold in boxes by Hemglass. This was a Swedish or Danish company that sold boxes of ice cream from a van which came about once a month. I remember that these ice cream lollies were about to be discontinued at the time, so the driver, aware of my condition, managed to source the last 4 boxes in the region for me – bless him!

Another ice cream from the 70s, which all our family adored, was a block ice cream called Maple Walnut. It was really amazing. I think it was manufactured by Lyons Maid or possibly Walls.
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have loved this thread.
    I miss Pacers too.
    The synthetic cream on desserts on school dinners.
    Palmolive green apple shampoo.
    Egg shampoo or conditioner-not sure which but it came in a tub and was quite gloopy.
    Misty-a comic for girls-I used to get the annual for Christmas as well.
    Cider lollies.
    Proper sweets in little paper bags.
    Real sugar mice with the string tails,
    Writing with fountain pens at school-loved the smell of ink.
    Proper milk in bottles-the unpasteurised kind.
    Home made jam-fruit costs too much now to make it.
    Vim.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    What a wonderful thread - many happy memories!

On the snack front I miss:

Jelly Tots
    Golden Wonder Sausage and Tomato crisps
    Malibu (or could be maribu) chocolate bar - nobody ever remembers this. It was in a pink and blue wrapper and had sort of whipped stuff in the middle. No coconut.
    Golden cup bars

Cachet perfume - thought I was so cool- would like to smell it again but it's probably vile!

Anne French lemon cleanser.

The early hair gels which were green and blue in colour - utter gloop and made your hair ramrod stiff. - Maybe I don't miss this after all.

and from the 80's I remember a cake which mum used to buy from Marks and Spencer as a real treat. It came in a box, was marked to be cut into slices, had chocolate strands all over the sides and buttons on top. It was sponge with a chocolate filling in the centre and if you were lucky enough to get an end bit there was even more filling as the outside was coated too. You can tell I really miss this cake:)

Granny shoes as we called them - height of fashion in the late 70's. They were lace ups but had heels and only came in sensible colours like black and tan.

Mum and I were also laughing recently about some wallpaper she bought in the 70's. It was called Novamura and had large purple and pink flowers. Granny was the person who always papered but she was demented with this stuff as it felt like fabric and went a bit rubbery when pasted!

I always remember the excitement of getting my first duvet but I did miss the big heavy blankets with the nice satin ribbon along the edge. I liked the feel of the ribbon against my face as I snuggled down - although I also remember the weight of blankets and candlewick beadspreads on my feet. There wasn't much moving about the bed once I was tucked in!

Can still get sausage and tomato crisps in Nisa and similar shops in my home town, even one of the local gyms sell them in their vending machine.

Lanarkshire is obviously a 70s and 80s time warp.
  • skintmumof3
    Options
    Have loved this thread.
    I miss Pacers too.
    The synthetic cream on desserts on school dinners.
    Palmolive green apple shampoo.
    Egg shampoo or conditioner-not sure which but it came in a tub and was quite gloopy.
    Misty-a comic for girls-I used to get the annual for Christmas as well.
    Cider lollies.
    Proper sweets in little paper bags.
    Real sugar mice with the string tails,
    Writing with fountain pens at school-loved the smell of ink.
    Proper milk in bottles-the unpasteurised kind.
    Home made jam-fruit costs too much now to make it.
    Vim.

I loved using my fountain pen at school with my bottle of QUINK ink..also the pink blotting paper....................

also remember using carbon paper when typing to get a copy.....
  • G6JPG
    G6JPG Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    People don't believe me when I tell them there used to be lime Aero; I presume Rowntree stopped making it because of confusion with the mint variety.

Pork scratchings in the south: there's a chain of shops in the north that sells things by weight, including these, but I don't think there's a branch south of about York. (Yes, I know you can get those hideously overpriced - and not as nice, or big lumps! - little bags.)

Proper thin (and relatively cheap) poppadums/pappads. The ones I'm thinking of were/are made by a women's collective in India or something like that. I only know one shop/stall (in Chelmsford market!) that sells them (or did - I haven't been there for a few years). Otherwise I'm stuck with the leathery (and expensive) ones from Patak or the other British company, who both sell theirs in boxes of 8 or 10. Oh yes, I think the collective is called Lijjat.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another one that's just occurred to me - Dutch peanut cookies! They're crunchy, buttery biscuits topped with roasted peanuts, sold in plastic-wrapped plastic trays - I found some in a convenience store a couple of years ago and haven't seen them since, which is probably a good thing as I ate the whole lot within 24 hours. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure