PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What products do you miss?

Options

Comments

• siegemode
    siegemode Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I also remember tinned cream. Nan would have me vigorously shaking that tin ready to go with apple pie or strawberries for what seemed forever, but it was so nice. Tried a tin of cream last year and it was greyish in colour and the taste was horrid. Just another on the list of things that were better back then.
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Options
    White chocolate skull sweets with strawberry liquid inside. Tom Tom crisps little round balls they were lush. Five flavour cream bars.
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Options
    Someone's mention of lemon bonbons has just reminded me of those little long, thin fruit bonbons, wrapped in white paper which was pinched out into a triangle at each end and had a little colour picture of the fruit in question in the middle of the wrapper. They were like hard, boiled sweets, but the inside was slightly soft and chewy.

'Crown Court' and 'Houseparty' bring back memories here too, but my sister's favourite daytime TV programme was always 'Paint Along With Nancy'. I think Nancy painted with oils using a knife. 'Mastermind' seemed to be on in the day a lot when I was off school for some reason too, but Crown Court was the best, even though I probably found it entertaining for all the wrong reasons. The only episode that still sticks in my mind after all these years involved a woman being had up for assaulting a bloke on a department store escalator with a frozen turkey in a carrier bag, but it still makes my wicked childhood self smile :)

The sweetes sound like fruitinettes. You can get them at the traditional sweet shop online
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    you are right! I remember now, Phyllosan fortified the over forties!
    I know Sanatogen was a 'fortified' wine (I had visions of a castle and soldiers pointing bows and arrows). now what was their catchphrase? anyone remember?

"In these hustling, bustling days, when every hour seems a rush hour, there's a particular need for Sanatagon Tonic Wine"

My grandma always had a bottle of this in the sideboard cupboard but I never saw anyone drinking it, nor did the contents of the bottle seem to go down. Perhaps it was kept "for medicinal purposes" only.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options

And on a non-food front, what about French skipping, where two friends would stand with a huge elastic strap forming a rectangle round their legs, whilst you skip, hopped and jumped on, off and over it in a complicated routine, as they hitched the band higher and higher.

We used to play "higher and higher" with a long length of washing line and a whole line of girls (never boys!) would try and jump over it after the line was raised an inch further each time.

Until the boys decided to play British Bulldog across the same playground at the same time. That was messy :( and both games were subsequently banned.
  • jungliemac
    Options
    I loved iced magic. Sure it was called that. You poured it in a liquid form over ice cream and it set hard so you could crack it.
    Also remember going to my Nan's and she always had salmon paste. The lid had a picture of a salmon on and the jar came with a small stick attached which when you had finished it would slide behind the lid to form some sort of badge. Nice!
    I remember tiny books of tattoos possibly from those machines outside shops where stuff comes in an egg shaped container.
    Also loved the milky lollies that had purple pictures of ghosts on.
    True MSE'r -Money Spending Expert :D
  • SpecialBrew_2
    Options
    We played 'higher and higher' in the street too, but our favourite game was called 'hideouts' and involved us setting trails for each other around and in and out of the tower blocks up the road by chalking arrows on the paths and pavements, and then hiding and waiting to be found.

This worked well enough at the beginning of the school holidays but by the end, especially the summer holidays, the paths were just a mass of arrows chalked over each other and none of us knew whether we were coming or going :)
    December 'Make £10 A Day' Challenge - £1.82/£155.00
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I just got round to thinking of comics and my favourite in the 50's was "Girl" (sister comic to the Eagle which my brother got). My favourite strip was "Belle of the Ballet" and oh how I idolised Belle - I used to dream of having Belle's glamourous lifestyle, her beautiful face and her elegant ballet dresses! I couldn't wait for the next issue to read about her next adventure!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    siegemode wrote: »
    Yes those were the flavours, I loved them too except the pineapple flavour which I hated. Also loved the Fry's peppermint crèmes and used to nibble them to make it last as long as possible.

I can still get frys peppermint, orange and the plain flavour. A lot of local shops sell them, approved foods often do them as well, so do B and M bargains.
  • oldhaggis
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I used to like the free badges they gave away in Jackie, the ones where you could cut out a picture of your favourite pop star and put it in the badge. On a Wednesday, if there was a free badge in that week's Jackie, everyone at school would be wearing it.

I thought I was very grown up when I went on to Fab208. It always seemed very trendy!

I got a bottle of Aqua Manda for Christmas one year. I used to go around reeking of oranges! There was also the lemon version, Aqua Citra

Does anyone remember the clothes shop, Martin Ford? I always used to buy something from there when we went to Romford

I also remember getting free plastic stickers in Jackie magazine. There was "Jimi Hendrix for Prime Minister" which I gave to my friend who was crazy about him and "Come closer, I'm short sighted" which I stuck to the case in which I kept my much hated NHS spectacles, which I never wore unless I was forced to by a teacher.

Aqua Manda has apparently been "lovingly re-created" and is currently available online but the reviews don't seem favourable and mostly say that it's not the same fragrance of the 70s.

The high street clothes shops I remember were Richards shops and Chelsea Girl which I think is now River Island.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure