Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KC, do you not have a timer for your boiler/heating?

We heated our old flat for one winter without turning it off and ended up with a £700 gas bill :eek:

It was a cheap job to have a basic digital timer fitted, £50-70 from memory.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheery - I'm very optimistic on my lists, like you :D but it hasn't gone too badly so far :beer:

edinburgher - :hello: are you psychic? Did you know someone was asking after you? :rotfl:

I confess, there *is* a timer - I don't use it, because I only switch the heating on when I really need it, especially at this time of year. It's just that I was too tired to pay attention last night, which happens every now and then. I do pretty well - last year, gas and elec combined came to about £500
    :money::money::money:

- finish shredding and get it in the bin.
    doing it - shredder is a tiny cross cut one, so it has to rest quite a lot!

- sweep up quickly, in the hope that the builders will pop over.
    doing it - done most of downstairs, just need to do a more basic sweep upstairs.

- ring builders! Do they still want the work, is there a problem?
    rang them - just an answerphone once again. The main bod is very elderly, and always seems very ill, I suspect Bad Things have happened. But lets just hope that they don't like my house ...

- email lovely Norfolk rellie.
    done

- ring doc about flu jabs
    done. Their clinics have been and gone, and my NHS diagnosis of chronic fatigue doesn't make me eligible for freebies, so I'm tracking across town to another GP practice, since they can do it tomorrow.

- write a blog
    I had two bits half written, combined them, should be good to go by the end of the day :)

That's it for now, I broke for an early lunch, we'll see what happens later.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps alcoholic is more acurate? Suffolk Lass sent me details of a wine offer and I thought I'd better check in :)

Your energy spends are very good, we're only slightly lower than you and have solar panels/year old boiler/thick carpets etc.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good stuff! Alcofrolic is fun :)

Ta on the energy spend - a loft hatch that fits properly will help (part of the works on order with the absent builder) - and though I have no underfloor insulation that I know of, there's vinyl or ceramic tiles across the whole lower floor, so the drafts from the (big) air bricks and the (big) gaps in the floorboards don't come through :)

I've just been getting my PAC code ... aside from how difficult it is to understand a very fast Welsh accent when I'm just following a list by rote :o:o:o and not quite understanding the process as a whole, they're really playing up. Trying to get away with £9 for 500MB :eek:

They don't deserve me :rotfl: they almost matched the deal I told them I have, the Three deal that Martin bargained for, but I hadn't mentioned the £60 Amazon voucher, so they can go hide in a hole somewhere :D None of them are trustworthy, of course, but I reckon I'm in need of a change.

Not doing too badly on this list :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,627 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I had an adminy type day yesterday.
    I have no idea where it all comes from :eek:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    Options
    I had my flu jab for 8 quid at the chemist.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've been with Three for 5 years now and think they're pretty good value. Their call centres are in India (or some such place) which is the downside - the people are lovely, but hard to understand and married to their scripts! Use the shops wherever possible!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• michelle09
    Options
    You should have one of my free flu jabs. I end up telling work (emergency services so free) that I get it at the GP (asthmatic) and vice versa so they stop bothering me!

Hopefully we can get the gas/electric that low. It was £570 last year with the two lodgers, so now that Mr 'apparently less than 2 one hour showers a day is unhygenic' has left, we should have a much happier gas bill.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,777 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Envious of all your gas/electric bills - ours is about £1100 a year for both :eek: partly an ancient inefficient boiler - but most likely our irregular hours - I tend to get up quite early, and Mr Cheery stay up very late, so when I was working at home a lot we'd sometimes end up with the heating on from 7am to about 3am :eek: I don't work at home much any more fortunately so it's calmed down a bit!
  • beanielou
    Options
    I am about £1100 but I loathe being cold & my muscles seize up.Bah.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure