PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Singlies - We Do It Our Way!

Options

Comments

• LavenderBees
    LavenderBees Posts: 1,718 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Oh a singles thread, can I join please?

I am single with a six year old so whilst it is nice I have someone to talk to (as long as its about moshi monsters :rotfl:) it can be difficult sometimes having to do everything yourself.

Regarding a will. I don't have one I suppose I really should, you have got me thinking about that now, I wouldn't know where to start :o

Absolutely, jump right in, very welcome :T. We all need moshi monsters in our lives :D
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I join? How do I subscribe? Do I have to press a button somewhere?

I've been single for three years, ever since my ever so charming ex left me in the middle of winter with a 2yr old, a 2month old, a dog and oh yeah, a broken neck (he didnt do that thought, managed to crash my car while pregnant).

I'm trying hard to be mortgage free before I'm 40, albeit that ill only own half my house as my brother owns the other half.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • LavenderBees
    Options
    On the original thread, Moneyistooshorttomention asked for advice on how to get through all her building work without going mad...I'm paraphrasing..

My first thought was "drink!" ;)

My second thought, but probably too late for Moneyistooshorttomention, was some advice my lovely dad gave me years and years ago. Start with your bedroom - make that as cosy and warm as possible, and then, when it all gets too much, you can close the door on the turmoil outside, tuck up safe and sound in a warm bed, and leave the world to sort itself out for a few hours.

Over the years, this has proven to be sound advice not just for practical problems like building work, but also for emotional problems, too. It's maybe why I'm so attached to my PJs...my comfort blanket :)
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    edited 13 January 2014 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Oh a singles thread, can I join please?

I am single with a six year old so whilst it is nice I have someone to talk to (as long as its about moshi monsters :rotfl:) it can be difficult sometimes having to do everything yourself.

Regarding a will. I don't have one I suppose I really should, you have got me thinking about that now, I wouldn't know where to start :o

I am a single mum too. The first place to start is to decide what will happen to your six year old. Have you got life insurance in place so that whoever has responsibility for your six year old also has the where with all to look after him/her? It is not fair to land someone else with the responsibility of not only looking after your kid, but to also land them with the financial burden too (unless of course it is the child's father, who has a duty to support the child anyway).

LB - you can ask the solicitor to act as your executor. If you prefer to name someone else, the solicitor will ask for a back up person, just in case the first person refuses to be your executor, or passes before you do. Likewise, with any pets, you should name a back up person just in case the first person you have named does not wish to look after your pets.

Solicitors are very helpful when preparing a will - they will ask about all sorts of provisions that you may not have thought about.

More info on wills here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/free-cheap-wills
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    Here you all are! :D

I think the living will, will be very fluid to start off with depending on age and health and can't be seen as permanent, but something you will have in place if you had an accident or were otherwise suddenly unable to let people know what you wanted. So perhaps decide on worst case scenario at this stage and then discuss with your doctor who will know procedures, hopefully.
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 13 January 2014 at 9:24PM
    Options
    What happens if the solicitor dies before you?...I assume it's just passed onto someone else in the firm. what happens if the firm shuts down?

I am going to make copies and give out.

I have two friends as executors, they are also the ones to get my dosh, this way I know they will do it right....lol.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • LavenderBees
    edited 13 January 2014 at 9:23PM
    Options
    Can I join? How do I subscribe? Do I have to press a button somewhere?

I've been single for three years, ever since my ever so charming ex left me in the middle of winter with a 2yr old, a 2month old, a dog and oh yeah, a broken neck (he didnt do that thought, managed to crash my car while pregnant).

I'm trying hard to be mortgage free before I'm 40, albeit that ill only own half my house as my brother owns the other half.

Hey, no ONLY about it, half a mortgage free house is fab to aim for. Security is well worth aiming for. I became mortgage free almost 3 months ago, and I'm not sure it's actually sunk in yet..maybe best it doesn't so I keep going on my frugal plans to [STRIKE]world wide domination...[/STRIKE]...retiring as early as possible. Tomorrow wouldn't be too early!!

ETA - if you go to Thread Tools at the almost top almost right of the thread, the drop down list gives you the ability to subscribe.
  • LavenderBees
    Options
    calicocat wrote: »
    What happens if the solicitor dies before you?...I assume it's just passed onto someone else in the firm. what happens if the firm shuts down?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:rotfl:
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2014 at 9:31PM
    Options
    Look what I found, http://www.lawdepot.co.uk/contracts/living-will-uk/?loc=GB&pid=googleppc-health_uk-ft_living_will_b3ft-s-ggkey_living%20wills&s_kwcid=living%20wills|6195804263&gclid=CNfh1cH9-7sCFRLMtAoddzYAqw

The USA have a registry for living wills. But the above is an example form for the UK.

edit, and this http://www.compassionindying.org.uk/?gclid=CILJ58D--7sCFe_MtAodzSoAkA

edit again, this link seems very good, it also mentions that medic alert are working with them so you can have a notice of your advanced statement (living will) on record.
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    calicocat wrote: »

I am going to make copies and give out.

I have two friends as executors, they are also the ones to get my dosh, this way I know they will do it right....lol.

It is the law firm that is nominated rather than an individual solicitor. The law society will invite you to make alternative arrangements should the law firm shut down.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family