We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It was the first time I'd ever been there, Maman. The train journey from Plymouth to Calstock/Gunnislake is one of the most beautiful in the country so the run up the Tamar and was part of the fun. Do you know, I've lived in this area for 25 years and I've never been to Morwellham ? I need to get out more.
    sukeyboo wrote: »
    I have been tempted to try BB Honey Bear as I definitely struggle with sugary soft drinks but I am more of a cider or wine drinker and not so keen on lager - don't mind it occasionally on a hot Summer's day or with a curry but not my drink of choice. Might give it a go when I am out next and struggling to find something non-alcoholic to try ;)

Sukey I didn't like lager before I gave up, I was a red wine drinker or G&T, Plymouth for preference. The reason I like BB is that it's got a slightly sour flavour which is what I craved after I stopped and it's just, just, on the right side of sourness. It absolutely must be served chilled, it's vile warm. Most AF beers are two sweet for me, and as for AF wines *bleargh* ....
    2/18 for last night please. Not going so well :eek:

Hang on in there FPW. There's enough month left for you to catch up and we're all cheering you on.

8/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • Honey_Bear
    Options
    Hmmm. It seems everyone but me's at a party.

9/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    7/23 AFDs today
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    7/23 please

HB Im sorry. I would have been with you but I had a date. He's nice but I am hungover today. Hoping we can do things that are low alcohol if we go out again. But yesterday I think we were both a bit nervous.
    I know I'm saying all the wrong things on the giving up/cutting down board. But I think it is a strong person that can do a date AF. I would love to be that person. But yesterday I was not.
    I am however inspired by your advice and support and plan to attend a work party later this month AF. Which I think is a good starting point- oh and I believe there will be a free bar so I'm giving myself points for resisting that! Thank you again.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    6/18 for me please Shaggy.
    I won't be doing the SNC this week as I'm on holiday and out for dinner a few times so will probably have a glass or two.

I was at a BBQ today and didn't drink despite wine flowing around me. It did help that I was driving so I knew it wasn't an option, didn't even feel deprived or tempted to be honest.

I had two glasses on Saturday night, I shared a bottle with a friend. Went home perfectly fine and woke up no problem. 2 glasses is my sensible limit, once I get to three, then the fourth just seems to flow into my glass, it isnt worth the fridge space.

Will try to keep plugging away with the AF days this week though, I definitely don't want to be drinking every day. 3 days of the week is enough otherwise I really start to feel unwell and my body feels rubbish.

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine today and didn't get burnt.

PSL, glad you enjoyed your date, hope there was a mutual enough spark for a second one. Maybe you could suggest something that doesn't involve drinking, so you can get to know each other on a sober basis. People are very different then.
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • smiley_77
    smiley_77 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    8/28for me please Shaggy.
    Do I really need it? Probably not.:A
  • Honey_Bear
    Options
    HB Im sorry. I would have been with you but I had a date. He's nice but I am hungover today. Hoping we can do things that are low alcohol if we go out again. But yesterday I think we were both a bit nervous.
    I know I'm saying all the wrong things on the giving up/cutting down board. But I think it is a strong person that can do a date AF. I would love to be that person. But yesterday I was not.
    I am however inspired by your advice and support and plan to attend a work party later this month AF. Which I think is a good starting point- oh and I believe there will be a free bar so I'm giving myself points for resisting that! Thank you again.

You're saying all of the right things on this thread, PSL. You're wrestling with how to keep the booze under control and it's very, very difficult. If you pretended you were coping easily the discussion wouldn't be honest and we'd all be wasting our time cheering each other on when actually people just needed a (((hug))) and to be reassured that we all slip up sometimes in one way or another, but it's really not the end of the world.

How lovely that you had a date! I rather like the sound of the chap if he was nervous as well - people who are very self-confident scare me a bit. I hope the second date goes well, and the simplest way of keeping it low alcohol is to go to the cinema, unless you frequent one that sells booze as our local Arts Centre does, but I forgive them because they've finally started stocking Be*ks Bl*e. (I now phone ahead and ask when I go to new places. Sometimes they let me bring some if they don't stock and AF beer. Very surprising but lovely of them.)

Are you going anywhere Cuppa Tea, or having a staycation? Either way I hope you enjoy your week off.

10/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,738 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all, 6/21 for me today please. I'm out with friends on Thursday but apart from that I plan to go straight through to Friday week no drinking.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good to hear your date went well PSL :T - don't blame you for having some 'dutch courage' - I would be doing the same in that situation ;)

Had an RSPCA homing check on Saturday for re-homing a new cat and we got the go-ahead so hopefully we will be collecting the little fellow on Wednesday. The house seems so empty since we lost our little poppet and, even though we both said we would have a break before taking another one on, we succumbed after seeing all the poor mites that are looking for new homes.

Declaring early for tonight on 5/12 please Shaggy
  • fakeplastictwee
    Options
    PSL you're not saying the wrong things at all. It's really important to be honest when it comes to this subject and there's no point deceiving us or yourself about it. It's also good to hear about how people struggle as well as their successes, I'm not doing too well with it myself at the minute so it helps to connect with other people who feel the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport