PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lushlifesaver
    Options
    george wrote: »
    Right - having been through the post Xmas month of pain, new start for 2014 starts now (2nd pay of the year is due next week).

Month runs from 25th to 25th so from 25/2 I'd like to aim for £400, with the aim of reducing this over the course of the next 12 months significantly. I'm realistic and know we wont be able to drop significantly in the first month, so lets see where get to in the next few months! Feeding myself, wife and 2 girls (8 & 5)

Tend to buy online shopping as I always find it more effective as I can easily check the cupboards. I have the asda grocery saver (£15 for 3 months) unlimited deliveries so should I declare £5 every month in my totals?

Some include delivery savers/cost of each delivery and some don't its entirely up to you. Personally I would as its something directly linked to getting the groceries in to the house
    tattycath wrote: »
    Not been tracking my spends for ages! :o
    DD1 is now on a health kick, so we eat mainly chicken fillets (coz she doesn't like bones-neither do her sisters) and lots of fresh veg and fruit.
    I think it's costing a fortune. It would be so much cheaper to buy a whole chicken than boneless chicken breasts all the time!
    Right, rant over.
    £400 for me for march.
    Open to suggestions with the chicken and no bones etc. TIA.

We buy our chicken breasts in bulk from Makro, I know some get a great deal from their local butcher on bulk buys just by asking if they can have one. That said I'd tell them to like it or lump it...I'm so mean!
    I do agree that breasts/fillets can be expensive though. Perhaps it is worth seeing if a local butcher can do you a bulk deal (do you have freezer space available if so?) To give you an idea of prices we pay £19.99 for 5kg of breasts from makro, bf's mum pays £23-25 for a similar weight from a local stockist. The Makro ones are huge though, we use one between the two of us with about 26 in each tray.

Planning to make a list of what we will need over the month over the course of today/tonight. Will include bf's cereal/breakfast bars and lunches (he has the same every day) and then work out meals. Figure I need to roughly plan ideas which I can flex around what we are up to. Also want to make some double portions up for the freezer for those first few weeks post birth.

Think I have settled on a fortnightly shop for cupboard fillers/essentials supplemented with a market trip for fresh fruit and veggies.

Need to reorganise the freezer already too and make a list of what's in there, will then write it up and post it up in the kitchen to mark things off as they are used.
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • superrhinos
    Options
    Thanks for setting up the new post. My budget for February will be £140 which is for me and my 3 year old DS. We also have a visitor staying with us for two weeks this month. I think I will be mainly providing a bed to sleep in and hot showers but there may be the old meal / snack as well.

My month started on the 14th when I got paid and I will update my spends to date once at home this evening.
    GC: Feb (16th Jan - 15th Feb) £46.25 / £50 :)
    Mar (16th Feb - 15th Mar) £61.96 / £70
  • dylan2011
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! I haven't posted in ages, but I need to get back on track, I haven't completely lost my way but it hasn't been a very good few months and money wise at the moment we need to get back to budgets. So, for March can I please set a budget at £200. Thats for 2 adults, a 2 1/2 yr old and a very, very hungry 9 month old. Where has the time gone? Cant believe he's that old allready. Hope you have all been keeping well, off for a read and catch up. xx
    Mum of 2 monkey. 4 yrs and 2 yrs :j
    Starting again...
    July GC £65/£200
  • agreenmess
    Options
    Hello,

Clocking in for this month as Saturday is my first shopping of this "month". £200 for me :)Got to put all the pet food and pet medication in this too!
    Nessy x
    House Deposit - £0 /£20,000
    Weight Loss - .5lbs
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 February 2014 at 1:44PM
    Options
    We shouldn't need any toiletries really - will need to get Lynx sprays for bf and he may need hair gel. other than that should just be toothpaste - Not sure whether to stash it away and roll any surplus over to next month OR spend it and stock up pre baby. What do some of you lovely people do?

You asked what others do...
    I allocated a 13th month for my stores within my annual budget as a logical amount of money and then when store cupboard, grocery, toilet or cleaning products are on offer, I use that money to stock up and stash. I haven't paid full price for any toiletries for the last 2 years but I admit I am getting twitchy about shower gel. It was my way of staying with my favourite brands while still economising.

Good luck
    SL
    (still reading, but an infrequent poster in my 3rd year of GC)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • misermello
    Options
    Can you put me down for £150.

This is for two adults,

Thank you :)
  • twigpig
    twigpig Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    p-pincher and tattycath - I'm in the same boat. I've fone the challenger years ago and last month spend a shocking £450!

Thanks for all the welcome on the Feb thread, so count me in.

Budget £250 for hubby, myself, 2 year old and very soon newborn.
    Includes all toiletries, eating out, cleaning products, nappies, birthdays and groceries. Basically anything but petrol......

Good luck everyone.
    TTC #3..........
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My challenge for March is to stay the same or a bit less than I spent last year.
    Slimming World at target
  • sky_bloo
    Options
    Can I be put down for £200 thats for me and the OH and herbs for the rabbits. Not including petrol and rare meals out. First month doing the challenge. :j
    House deposit 15/15k hurrah!

Currently awaiting mortgage decision
  • icontinuetodream
    Options
    Can you put me down for £15pw please?

This is for 3 adults Sat, Sun, Mon - 6 adults on Tues & Weds and 4 on Fri....includes toiletries, cleaning products & food (dog food is a different , which is a good job as her food costs £20pw!!:rotfl:)

This is the last month it will be this low as the cupboards and freezers are starting to see daylight....I will get my freezers emptied and defrosted at the end of this month!! ;)

Thanks for the new thread!!:D
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills