PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Taranaman
    Taranaman Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Put me down for£300.

Most of the month we will be three adults with one week of four adults.

Today had a little spend of £28. £272 to last to the end of the month.
    Only £10 a day, which feels like a tight budget, but I do have lots in the cupboard and freezer...
    January GC 299/300
    February GC 295/270
    March GC 92/243 then lost the plot and stopped recording for two months and went way over :eek:
    May GC 372/250 still looking for the plot
    June GC 118/250
  • fairydust30
    Options
    I'd like to join. Was thinking £300 for Jan for a big adult (eats a lot), myself (on diet), teenage boy and 7 yo DD. But I will take suggestions and advice.
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    NSD today - haven't gone out of the house as the weather here was not nice and has rained all day.
    Welcome and good luck to all the newbies joining us this month and those returning to the GC.

We had roast pork, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, sprouts and onion sauce tonight and some pork left over for later in the week. T'was lovely.

036_zpsd54f6ec3.jpg
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    I have not been doing to well the last few months either..but keep it up.

I am no batch or oamc expert but here's my twopenny worth. When you cook can you double or treble the ingredients so one cottage pie becomes two or three . If you do this with stuff the family eats I think it'ss well worth it and it is not much more time consuming over a matter of weeks you have instant cheap and healthy READY MEALS.also I have a link about component cooking its years old but a great read

But I don't know about what freezes and reheats ok, and don't want to be poisoning my family. I don't mind cooking fresh each day, most of the stuff I cook is fairly quick to whip up.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Chelski123 wrote: »
    Where did u get the diaries from? And which ones are they. ? Thanks

I bought an ordinary A4 sized on in my 99p shop. Anything big enough to write shopping spends in. Last year it was an A5 and that was perfect-I've gone for a bigger one so I can add menuplans as well on the same pages.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Make-it-3 wrote: »
    But I don't know about what freezes and reheats ok, and don't want to be poisoning my family. I don't mind cooking fresh each day, most of the stuff I cook is fairly quick to whip up.

Ok-well most stuff freezes and reheats ok. I think you are a worrier! Think of recooking it to piping hot rather than warming it up and you will be ok. Plan a couple of dishes then ask on here if you can freeze it and how to reheat as I know someone will help you! Just keep asking!
    ;)
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 January 2014 at 12:59AM
    Options
    Please may I join. Due to careful planning relating to school holidays and not wanting to take my son to packed supermarkets over Christmas, we're alright foodwise for now, so my January starts next week when he goes back to school. I've allowed £40 per week which is £160 for the month. I've never managed a whole years grocery challenge before, so I'm hoping 2014 will be the year....
  • minicooper272
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm in for January. Sticking with a budget of £80 for this month. I start a cookery class, so will need to buy some ingredients for that, and also need to do a big stock-up of the kitchen cupboard after being away for 2 weeks.

I'm trying to work my way through a mince recipe book at the moment. I know extra lean mince is better for keeping fat content down, but wondered if there is a good way to cook cheaper mince to cook off some of the fat?
  • closemead
    closemead Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2014 at 12:43AM
    Options
    Please can you put me down for £300 2 adults 5 children 10,8,6,5 and 3
    March G.C. £300 fail 🙄
    April G.C. £380
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Brand new year and Brand new challenge :j

First a BIG :hello: to all the newbies and returners. Hope you all have fun on here and I'm sure you'll all find the help and support great.

Please can I go down for £200 this month:) I had and emergency hysterectomy and wasn't the one spending and shopping, thats why I dissapeared!! Hopefully now I can manage to keep more of an eye on him! Thanks x

Hope you now feeling good and getting back to full health. I'm sure you'll soon get (him) organised :D
    Make-it-3 wrote: »

Just to start you off as it saves time and ££££££s
    I find almost anything in a gravy or sauce ie sliced roast, stews and chicken dishes ok. (Just defrost slowly and heat gently until piping hot.
    I steer clear of fish but I'm sure someone will advise.
    Also anything covered in mash, LO roast pots (cook from frozen -pop in deep fryer or reheat in fat for 30 mins) and anything pasta such as LO lasagne.
    I also freeze LO veg and ends of stews, casseroles etc and make 'freezer soup'.
    Good Luck :D
    Hi all,
    I know extra lean mince is better for keeping fat content down, but wondered if there is a good way to cook cheaper mince to cook off some of the fat?

Have you tried flash-frying over a high heat, keep turning and stirring and then as soon as browned tip into s sieve :)

A good start with an NSD for me.

I have actually managed to reduce both freezers by half and plan on defrosting them one at a time tomorrow :j :j

Hope you all have a terrific Thursday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories