PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lynneee
    lynneee Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    please can I rejoin the challenge? There are 5 of us (2 adults, 3 children) but I want to try and do a very strict £125 I have plenty of stuff in my freezers and cupboards so I really want to get it all used up and then start afresh in February :)

Happy New Year to everyone :beer:
    mortgage £800 overpayment 2022. £600/£2400 2023 🙂 savings £1853/£1800 😊
  • xmillyx
    xmillyx Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can I be put down for £100 please?

Am back at uni next Monday but have nothing in so will need to do a bigger shop next week. But I'm going home for a couple of weekends so hopefully it won't be too bad!
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    I had a spend of just over £25 yesterday on items for NYE, I'm pleased with that as it did a full buffet for the 4 of us plus guests.
    We are quite well stocked except for juice and coffee so I hope to have minimal spends until Sunday when I'll do a bigger shop after I have meal planned.

Happy frugal 2014 everyone x :A
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • ArthriticOldThing
    Options
    Well that's my big shop for month. Had T**co delivery yesterday - came in at £42.29 - struggled to find space to put it all. Should not need anything but poss fresh veg til month end.:eek:
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
  • tootoo
    tootoo Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thanks for adding me.
    NSD as not leaving the house!
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
  • PinkPop
    Options
    Please can I join.

I would like to put £250 for the month :)
  • rememberwhen
    Options
    Well, I've been through the cupboards and freezer and made a meal plan. In no particular order;

- steak and leftover salad stuff
    - bacon joint and veggies
    - toad in the hole
    - lasagne
    - veggie shepherds pie
    - beany casserole
    - fish pie
    - homemade minestrone soup
    - sausage meat pie
    - creamy tomato pasta bake
    - veggie curry
    - pasta and pesto
    - sausage casserole
    - an eat up the cheese, pickles and biscuits night!
    - risotto
    - potato curry
    - veggie leftover soup and bread
    - sausage, tomato cheesy pasta

Considering I normally slam the freezer shut insisting there is nothing in there I feel like eating I was amazed how many meals I could plan!

Will need to buy some extra veggies and milk etc plus lunch box things as we are all going to be having packed lunches from now on but should still save loads on the normal weekly bill :-)
    January grocery challenge 0/400
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Happy new year to you all. Can you put me down for £140 . I am not including the money for this Saturdays wee party for hubby's 50th but will include all other spends in the month.

Good luck!
    Every days a School day!
  • merzal
    merzal Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Hi!
    Could I join in please?
    I'm aiming for £40 for January and we'll see how we go from there! OH says I can't do it so I'm determined to prove him wrong!
    There's 2 adults, a puppy, four rabbits and lots of fish! I aim to buy the food for all of us and cleaning products / toiletries etc.
    The freezer and cupboards are absolutely bursting so should only need to buy milk, fruit and veg. I'm pretty sure we have enough shampoo / shower gel etc to last us the year as well as washing powder!
    We have a big supply of dry rabbit food in so will only need to buy fresh for them (usually whatever is reduced, managed to get 4 packs of cabbage last night 1p each!)
    We also have plenty of dog and fish food.
    I'm not expecting to be able to keep to this budget every month but would like to use as much stuff as we can in January. Won't need anything till the weekend! Think I will also join the using up what's in your freezer challenge to keep me motivated!
    [STRIKE]CC1: £354.35 / £354.35[/STRIKE]
    CC2: £390 / £1475.98
    Boiler: £1500 / £2500
    [STRIKE]Overdraft: £1000 / £1000[/STRIKE]
    Emergency Fund : £20
  • loobylou2
    loobylou2 Posts: 816 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2014 at 3:38PM
    Options
    Can I join the thread please and could you put me down for £320.00 That's for myself, OH, 3 children and 4 cats. I want to empty the cupboards/fridge and freezer this month if I can and avoid the shops like the plague. Spend today £5.09 on sugar as we'd run out, paper for OH, Marshmallows for DD1 who is baking a cake and a small miniature bottle of Prosecco for myself as it is New Years Day. I don't really want to have to buy anything apart from Milk and Bread until the 15th when I get paid if I can so we'll have to see how things go but I am really determined to get the grocery bill down this year. Have already decided to downshift as much as I humanly possibly can with the grocery shop and am giving up my addiction to Coca Cola so that's a small start I guess, need to persuade the cats to start eating cheaper cat food though!!!!!
    loobylou2.Proud to be dealing with my debts and aiming to sort out the mess in 2013!!!!:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure