Disappointing/weird/inappropriate christmas gifts

Options

Comments

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    a box containing a cheap glass paperweight in the shape of a diamond which I know costs £2.99 in town and no bluddy idea what to do with a paperweight!

You could have your own version of the Crystal Maze at home!
  • LisaLou1982
    LisaLou1982 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Just thought to add with alcohol being mentioned -

Every single year my mum gets given a bottle of rose blossom hill wine from a member of our family. She hates blossom hill wine. Everyone in the family is well aware of it, she has even said in the past that she would rather they had it as she wouldnt drink it, yet they insist on buying it! lol

I cant understand why they would want to waste their money?!
    £2 Savers Club #156! :)
    Looking for holiday ideas for 2016. Currently, Isle of Skye in March, Riga in May, Crete in June and Lake District in October. August cruise cancelled, but Baby due September 2016! :j
  • fin7
    fin7 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Perhaps they thought the reason you don't eat boiled eggs is a lack of egg cups!

Lol!

I know it's the thought that counts, but egg cups? One year I got a bottle of Bella, lol!
  • bigmomma051204
    Options
    ohhh... My MIL got me the doozy of all naff and awful presents this year LOL!

Now i don't want to sound like a snob BUT my decor in my house is calm, neutral colours (eathy tones and all that LOL) and my living room is white with pale sage green accents - i like country style/shabby chic and vintage.

So what possessed her to think that something similar to the monstrosity in the link below would be nice in my living room, don't know!!! The actual one is twice the size (would fill a fireplace) and is neon pink with tall black spikey bits - and yes, it has flashing lights. (Sorry if this offends anyone who has one, lol!)

I wouldn't mind so much but she asked my hubby what i would like - and i suggested a Lush gift set. So i went over expecting my lovely smellies and got that. And then hubby, when we got home, was like "u dont like it, do you" and then i felt so bad and now i have it on display. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/e-flowers21-Artificial-Silk-Poppy-Flower-Arrangements-in-Modern-Vase-WITH-LIGHT-/171188115946?pt=UK_Home_HomeDecor_Miscellaneous&var=470312296305&hash=item27db9b59ea
    Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?
  • LisaLou1982
    Options

Now i don't want to sound like a snob BUT my decor in my house is calm, neutral colours (eathy tones and all that LOL) and my living room is white with pale sage green accents - i like country style/shabby chic and vintage.

So what possessed her to think that something similar to the monstrosity in the link below would be nice in my living room, don't know!!! The actual one is twice the size (would fill a fireplace) and is neon pink with tall black spikey bits - and yes, it has flashing lights. (Sorry if this offends anyone who has one, lol!)

I wouldn't mind so much but she asked my hubby what i would like - and i suggested a Lush gift set. So i went over expecting my lovely smellies and got that. And then hubby, when we got home, was like "u dont like it, do you" and then i felt so bad and now i have it on display. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/e-flowers21-Artificial-Silk-Poppy-Flower-Arrangements-in-Modern-Vase-WITH-LIGHT-/171188115946?pt=UK_Home_HomeDecor_Miscellaneous&var=470312296305&hash=item27db9b59ea

OMG that is the UGLIEST thing i have ever seen!! Im with you in that i also have a nice calm neutral house with the cushions being in accent colours - certainly nothing like that would be on display at my house! Take it off display....you know you want to!

Or give it her back for her birthday!
    £2 Savers Club #156! :)
    Looking for holiday ideas for 2016. Currently, Isle of Skye in March, Riga in May, Crete in June and Lake District in October. August cruise cancelled, but Baby due September 2016! :j
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    My children (both aged under ten) were given a huge tub of Celebrations. *EACH* :mad:. Even one between them would have been an embarrassment of chocolate but one each? Aaargh.

I'm torn between forcing it all down them as quickly as possible, and making them eat it in very small doses. (I ate far too much chocolate as a child and suffer badly with my teeth now, and I am determined that history will not be repeated.)
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options

I think thats ok, not as garish as I thought it would be from the description, but having said that, Id rather have had stuff from Lush. (I got stuff from Lush, sorry you didnt get what you had hoped for).
  • bigmomma051204
    bigmomma051204 Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2013 at 10:08PM
    Options
    paulineb wrote: »
    I think thats ok, not as garish as I thought it would be from the description, but having said that, Id rather have had stuff from Lush. (I got stuff from Lush, sorry you didnt get what you had hoped for).

Thats just bragging :p

Oh and honestly - its 10 times worse than that one. There is FAR more " black foliage and spikey-ness" and without the flashing neon lights, its hard to get the "full effect".
    Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?
  • bigmomma051204
    bigmomma051204 Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2013 at 10:14PM
    Options
    OMG that is the UGLIEST thing i have ever seen!! Im with you in that i also have a nice calm neutral house with the cushions being in accent colours - certainly nothing like that would be on display at my house! Take it off display....you know you want to!

Or give it her back for her birthday!

Thank God someone agrees! I will hide it away after chrimbo season - i figure perhaps i can just tell hubby (if he notices it has gone) that i wanted to keep it "just for christmas as its so twinkly and pretty"......... :eek::eek:

And I can't give it back to her - she "loved it so much", she bought herself one. "A bigger one which is red, silver and black." *shudder*
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Just before Christmas, my eldest (17) asked if I could get him a new HDMI lead for his xbox. So I bought one and wrapped it up and put it under the tree. He thought it was hilarious when he opened it :rotfl:
    Here I go again on my own....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport