Disappointing/weird/inappropriate christmas gifts

Options
LisaLou1982
LisaLou1982 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
Chutzpah Haggler
As the title suggests: How many of us got gifts that when they were opened this year, we just thought - WHY?!

This is meant to be light hearted before anyone gets on the band wagon!

I was quite lucky this year and didnt get anything too random, although my OH got a few that were just bizarre and had no thought put into whether he would like them at all! lol

added to say: Isnt it just even more infurating when someone has asked what it is you would like as a present, and you have either told them exactly what you would like, or given them a few hints and they have completely ignored what you have said?!
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
£2 Savers Club #156! :)
Looking for holiday ideas for 2016. Currently, Isle of Skye in March, Riga in May, Crete in June and Lake District in October. August cruise cancelled, but Baby due September 2016! :j

Comments

• paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    None. Not a single one. Mind you I only have two people in my life who give me gifts, hence reducing the likelihood that I'll get tat.
  • ellay864
    ellay864 Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My stepson does random well but I love it...he buys things that I would never justfy buying for myself but like having. Last year he got me a Liverpool FC gnome, this year I have a plush 'talking' Adipose (little alien from Doctor Who a few seasons back). Totally random but totally love it :)
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    my old mum came in with this huge gift bag for me - and inside was a very small Yankee candle which she insisted was 'night scented stock' and went on for ages about how dad used to grow it - and it wasn't - it was 'night jasmine' which I know dad couldn't get to flower! and a box containing a cheap glass paperweight in the shape of a diamond which I know costs £2.99 in town. and an envelope containing money. I now have received 16 Yankee candles this Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! I do like candles - but this is a 'record' for this year! and no bluddy idea what to do with a paperweight. The money was good though - it went towards a Kenwood food processor!
  • fin7
    fin7 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter and myself each received betterware double egg cups! Can't fathom out why cause the giver knows we don't eat boiled eggs?

Fin
  • LisaLou1982
    LisaLou1982 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 29 December 2013 at 9:58PM
    Options
    LOL those have made me smile..

MY OH received a book written by someone he really doesnt like at all - and was given it by someone who knows that!

Also, was given a dvd documentary box set about something which he is not the slightest bit interested in, by a very close family member, on the assumption that as he likes documentaries (well he did when he was 5 or 6!) then he should like any form of documentary!
    £2 Savers Club #156! :)
    Looking for holiday ideas for 2016. Currently, Isle of Skye in March, Riga in May, Crete in June and Lake District in October. August cruise cancelled, but Baby due September 2016! :j
  • Frugalbride
    Options
    I was given a booze gift set by my cousin - I'm 4 months pregnant, she's aware of this and is a nurse! I will enjoy it eventually though.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Nothing random or bizarre here am I missing out?
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fin7 wrote: »
    My daughter and myself each received betterware double egg cups! Can't fathom out why cause the giver knows we don't eat boiled eggs?

Fin

Perhaps they thought the reason you don't eat boiled eggs is a lack of egg cups!
  • missindecisive
    Options
    I got a overly large purse which won't fit into my pocket (tend to avoid bags) and doesn't have enough compartments .
    A book which I will NEVER read
    Several bottles of wine from mother and mother in-law and baileys from sister...when are they going to realise I barely touch a drop of alchohol......sigh ah well there's the church tombola.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    My OH broke the habit of 36 years of marriage and got me something I really wanted this Christmas - a Hairdryer!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!
    his past list of Faux Pas includes
    Perfume - I don't wear much perfume and prefer to choose my own as I hate certain ones - all of which he has bought me in past years after my telling him I cant stand them!
    An Electric Knife - he nearly got emasculated - in revenge I bought him a screwdriver set the next year and he was thrilled (figure that out). that was 25 years ago now - and it lives in my kitchen cupboard and is still working perfectly and in weekly use. so in hindsight it wasn't such a bad pressie!
    despite knowing I only wear real gold and gems - he has bought me costume jewellery and even worse, Two years running bought me fake pearl necklaces. I had to have a word with DD to have a word with him.............must have worked!

Last Year mum bought me a new purse - except it was rather large, had a zipped compartment in middle, but no slots for credit cards and nowhere to put banknotes.............??????????? I gave it to the grandkids to play 'shops' but even they said it was useless!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure