Goals for 2014

Options

Comments

• Newyorkdreams
    Options
    Thanks Hon. My biggest achievement is paying my dad's loan off this month, I feel so much better knowing that his £8500 has now paid off in full. He might need to access that cash given his situation (he is still in hospital and likely to have to fund care). Imagine if he needed that money and I still owed him it. I couldn't bear that. Hope things going for you x
    2019 goal
    0/£15000
  • KT2802
    KT2802 Posts: 595 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Wow well done NYD! You are doing so well!!
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    weekly update 1. Get sugar control (I'm diabetic)
    babysteps but 2lb weight loss since LBM which should be a good indicator. gonna get retested start of august
    2. put savings in best place possible
    we now have £8k earning 1.3% more pa than our mortgage costs. Still hold £1k in current account and have £201 in cash
    3. Make mortgage annual overpayments equivalent to 4x monthly payment plus interest
    managed q1 & q24. Lose weight. Now at 14 stone 10lbs on 03 May. Need to start averaging a loss of 1lb a week.
    another 1lb down
    5. Declutter
    sent one old instruction manual to recycling
    6. Take garden in hand
    paid someone to change it from a hayfield!
    7. expand 'flylady' daily routines
    I wish:sad:
    8. Get rid of ugly clothes bought because they fit and not cos they were nice.
    concerted effort needed

9. Appreciate my home and make it nicer
    bought a really reduced price kitchen aid that looks lovely on the kitchen worktop :)
    10.be more disciplined in my job
    babysteps
    11. Be less wasteful
    hopefully
    12. Donate

13. eat out less, fewer takeaways (inc lunch)
    1st day back to work after hols, brought lunch
    14. Move, as in exercise, at least twice a week
    for the past week, shopping and visiting a zoo was my cardio.

A mixed bag to report but happily there's still some progress. am petrified by what I read on BBC re long term interest rate predictions
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • Newyorkdreams
    Newyorkdreams Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Well... I should have added a further goal for 2014.

I've just found out that I'm going to have a baby in 2015!

It's very early days but we are very happy!

Debt busting will have to take a back seat for a while! LOL

NYD xx
    2019 goal
    0/£15000
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Congratulations!
    Must use my stash up!
  • stewby
    stewby Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 4 July 2014 at 9:58PM
    Options
    First off... Congratulations NYD on your great news about the baby. A bit of good news after the horrible year you have had so far. I am so sorry to hear about your FIL and your dad.

1) clear debt by end 2014.
    Not looking very likely at the moment but I am a determined eejit so will keep trying.

2) budget better!!
    It is working at times. Life occassionally gets in the way a bit, that's all.

3) save £60 a month for a contingency fund.
    Erm... this is working, but only because it comes out of my main account and I have nothing to do with it.

4) take part in challenges to keep foccussed.
    Still taking part in challenges.

5) lose 72lbs in weight.
    Nope. Trying but getting nowhere miracle-y.

6) OH to get his dream flying job.
    :(

7) Plan a dream holiday to New York.
    Not happening. Too poor, however it is now added into our honeymoon plans.

8) get a nice picture of me and OH to go on display.
    Also not happening. Haven't lost any weight. Still hate the pictures of me. So not got a nice picture.

Anyways, a mix of yays and nays now that we are halfway through the year. Fingers crossed I can focus more and work harder for this second half.
    :)

How is everyone else getting on??
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
  • KT2802
    KT2802 Posts: 595 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    NYD congratulations!!!! That is fantastic news :) I'm so pleased for you xxx
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    NYD, wonderful news. Congrats to you both.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • in_need_of_direction
    in_need_of_direction Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 July 2014 at 3:18PM
    Options
    weekly update 1. Get sugar control (I'm diabetic)
    babysteps continue with another 1lb off most probably done to reducing sugar
    2. put savings in best place possible
    we now have £8k earning 1.3% more pa than our mortgage costs. Still hold £1k in current account and have £201 in cash
    3. Make mortgage annual overpayments equivalent to 4x monthly payment plus interest
    managed q1 & q2. £20.09 towards q3:(
    4. Lose weight. Now at 14 stone 10lbs on 03 May. Need to start averaging a loss of 1lb a week.
    another 1lb down. now at 14st 8 lb due to yoyoing. would love this to be 14 by year end
    5. Declutter
    cleared out a batch of old publications this morning plus kept on top of junk mail, etc
    6. Take garden in hand
    no more done
    7. expand 'flylady' daily routines
    I wish:sad:
    8. Get rid of ugly clothes bought because they fit and not cos they were nice.
    concerted effort needed

9. Appreciate my home and make it nicer
    see 5. also identified a small manageable area to be cleared today
    10.be more disciplined in my job
    babysteps
    11. Be less wasteful
    hopefully
    12. Donate
    have been gathering up stuff for a friend to do a carboot. have told her that if it can't be gone by Thursday, i'll need to charity shop. it's been 3 months! Also, cleared last tranche of surplus, unwanted toiletries to homeless charity.
    13. eat out less, fewer takeaways (inc lunch)
    one takeaway this week. no spends on snacks in work as have brought these in
    14. Move, as in exercise, at least twice a week
    Not good.

looks like the big target needs to be the exercise! hope everyone else is doing well
  • Newyorkdreams
    Newyorkdreams Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your warm wishes and congratulations! Just trying to take it easy for the next few months when things are a bit sensitive.xx

Weekly update below:

1. Pay Loans x 3 (£8342) - now £1421 - :) - paid £6921 so far in 2014 (83%). 2 loans gone, 1 loan to go.
    2.Pay & close x 4 CCs (£5764) - COMPLETE
    now £0- :) All 4 cards closed!!!! :T
    3. Read 6 books - First book complete (Philomena). Second book complete. (The human mind by Robert Winston). Started 3rd book - The brain that changes itself. Need to relax more so need to find a good fiction book which I don't tend to read. Any tips????
    4. Complete photo albums x4 - Album 1 complete :T. No further update this month
    5.Exercise at least twice a week for 45 mins - .Attempted to go to the gym last week but was wiped out with tiredness, need to get this back onto my list as a priority.
    6. Get to goal weight (10st 8lbs) - Lost 7.5lbs in total.
    7. Redecorate my bedroom - picked wallpaper for bedroom. Holiday in June won't be happenign due to father's illness so will be reinvesting money into doing up bedroom in July/August
    8. Say 'no' when I need to - in progress
    9. Pray more - wow - every waking moment
    10. stop wasting fruit and veg - IN PROGRESS
    11. Gut out spare room - rescheduled to April :rotfl: Started! . This will need to step up a gear in the next 6 months !
    12. Start AVC's- COMPLETE - AVCs started in this month's pay :)

NYD x
    2019 goal
    0/£15000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills