Petrol for 78.8p/litre

Options

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,115 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Now, I hope I'm not breaking the forum rules by posting this, but I've worked out a nice combination of vouchers and offers and so on that ended up in me filling my car for under 80p a litre.

It was people publicising this that killed off the NS&I loop hole a few weeks ago. Why don't you send your video link straight to Morrisons/3v and ask them if they can close the petrol discount loop hole too please?

Surely the petrol discount is worth more to you than the click-thrus from a few views of your youtube promo?
    I think....
  • attila_
    attila_ Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is great, very savy. Well done.
  • aleph_0
    aleph_0 Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Someone should also add a few disclaimers/warnings to this thread. In short, make sure you read the T&Cs rather than just follow the advice of people on the internet.

The T&Cs state you are only allowed to purchase £1,625 3v cards in any 12-month period without doing additional validation (by posting certified documents off). One should also be aware of the risk that a retailer/utility company suddenly stops accepting the cards.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 24 December 2013 at 6:00PM
    Options
    It has some "issues"..... But if nothing else it encourages people to THINK about how they can save money.

I think the biggest problem is that most people just accept things as they are, they want the easy life, but the easy life comes at a cost.......
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Of course it has issues - and I completely agree that it's always wise to read the Ts and Cs first, and not to implicitly trust random people on the net (myself included) without checking it out oneself.

However, I don't agree that I should have kept it to myself - because I'm not selfish like that.

But indeed, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Whether I've done something for the good of the community, or whether I've signalled the death knell of something that was supposed to stay under wraps for the "ultra-savvy few", who knows.

Merry Christmas, y'all. :beer:
  • zorber
    zorber Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    edited 24 December 2013 at 8:51PM
    Options
    Of course it has issues - and I completely agree that it's always wise to read the Ts and Cs first, and not to implicitly trust random people on the net (myself included) without checking it out oneself.

However, I don't agree that I should have kept it to myself - because I'm not selfish like that.

But indeed, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Whether I've done something for the good of the community, or whether I've signalled the death knell of something that was supposed to stay under wraps for the "ultra-savvy few", who knows.

Merry Christmas, y'all. :beer:

No you havent signaled the death knell. i cant give you credit for that.

No you shouldnt keep it to yourself. I am all for sharing.

But what annoys me most about the post is you've nicked someone else's idea and made a real poor attempt at knocking it out as your own idea.

You've failed to maximize the potential savings just in the small amount that you have purchased.

The fact you have publicly said you can purchase £10 3v cards. You cant! you can only get 3v vouchers in denominations of £10 from paypoint and that doesnt attract the fuel money off coupon.

If you need to spend £260 each month on gas and electricity you are being wasteful and not very energy savvy.

You do a poor attempt at imitating Martin Lewis in your video which is twice as long as it should be. But do a great attempt at being just like him in taking other peoples ideas and marketing them as your own.
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    !!!!!!........

Seriously, it's secrets that keep the rich, rich and the rest of us struggling for cash!

This stuff SHOULD be shared!!! Bunch of idiots.....
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    It was people publicising this that killed off the NS&I loop hole a few weeks ago. Why don't you send your video link straight to Morrisons/3v and ask them if they can close the petrol discount loop hole too please?

Surely the petrol discount is worth more to you than the click-thrus from a few views of your youtube promo?

As a Morrison's employee we are actually encouraged to encourag customers to do what he said.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »
    As a Morrison's employee we are actually encouraged to encourag customers to do what he said.

That's very interesting, they must be making a wad-load in commission on gift cards. And I'll bet 3V don't care what their cards are spent on, they still get their merchant fee :)
  • zorber
    zorber Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    edited 24 December 2013 at 10:48PM
    Options
    That's very interesting, they must be making a wad-load in commission on gift cards. And I'll bet 3V don't care what their cards are spent on, they still get their merchant fee :)

Seriously you dont know what you are talking about.

3v do not get a merchant fee on these cards, they are gift cards and do not attract a payable merchant fee.

3v's business model relys on people not being able to spend all the card in the transaction and then not having enough on the card to do another transaction hence after 9 months they can start removing the balance as in the terms and conditions or you have to pay the £1.75 fee to combine 2 cards.

Either these free visa gift cards will shortly disappear as 3v are loosing money on each one being activated beacuse they have to pay morrisons and tesco etc or they will stop them being redeemable at the locations currently used to spend in full. 3v did not bank on the many ways that have been found to use all the money on each card.

They switched the NS&I route off overnight and they could do it again to any company you have been using to pay them into.
    Just because they accept visa cards doesnt mean to say that they have to accept prepaid gift cards.

This method of trying to save a few pence on petrol could end up catching out users if it went sour and ending costing more than its worth.

When NS&I stopped some users were holding onto thousands of pounds of gift cards, which they have had to find uses for.

One user actualy paid to combine all their cards and get the cash back which probably cost them more than the fuel savings posted above.

Bewarned there are large savings to be had (well not any more) there are also huge risks if or when it goes tits up.

word of note, there are 2 types of 3v card a red card you need to pay a fee to activate and another one which is free to activate which is being discussed above.
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family