TicketySplit feedback - official discussion

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    diamond57 wrote: »
    Looking at split season tickets, weekly ones, I was wondering how it works when not continuous. Do you know if you can get them posted to you, or collected at a station not on that part of the journey?

Any season ticket can be bought from any ticket office.

What do you mean by 'not continuous'?
    Obviously you must have tickets to cover the whole of your journey, but it is unclear, when using two season tickets, whether your train must stop at the point where you change from one ticket to another.
    The rules on this changed on 1st October this year. See condition 14 et al in The National Rail Conditions of Travel.
  • diamond57
    diamond57 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. By not continuous I meant that there will be a gap between the tickets, buying them every other week. The station that I will be travelling from is unmanned, so I will have to travel a bit further the night /day before each one to buy it then it seems, but that is no headache.
  • AnorakNerd
    AnorakNerd Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Tried to book an advance train ticket from Leeds to Brough. (For those who don't know, Brough is on the way to Hull.)

An advance ticket on the day and time I want to travel is £13.

I decide however that I might go "all the way" and buy a ticket to Hull. The same train will now cost me only £12.50. And I can get off one stop earlier.

I tried the same using MSE's Tickety Snip. The same thing happens, except that the mid-way stage shows the 2nd class prices in error.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When are you travelling?
  • AnorakNerd
    AnorakNerd Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    3 May 2017
  • russellelly
    Options
    AnorakNerd wrote: »
    Tried to book an advance train ticket from Leeds to Brough. (For those who don't know, Brough is on the way to Hull.)

An advance ticket on the day and time I want to travel is £13.

I decide however that I might go "all the way" and buy a ticket to Hull. The same train will now cost me only £12.50. And I can get off one stop earlier.

I tried the same using MSE's Tickety Snip. The same thing happens, except that the mid-way stage shows the 2nd class prices in error.

In theory you can't get off a stop earlier - it's against the T&Cs of an Advance ticket. If there are barriers then they may well not accept your ticket. I'm not sure what would happen in practice, of course.

On the topic of the tool, Virgin (West Coast) have trains on sale into July and August, but TicketSplit won't let me select a date past mid-June :(
  • Exile_geordie
    Exile_geordie Posts: 5,094 Forumite
    Options
    Try trainsplit.com - it seems to be much much better than teh MSE tool.
    Dont rock the boat
    Dont rock the boat ,baby
  • cdsmith15
    Options
    Just tried it. Failed.

Ayr to Montrose £48.60 single.
    Ayr to Perth £14.30 then Perth to Montrose £13.40= £27.70.
    Not picked up by the ticket split. Also booked it on CrossCountry Trains app, no booking fee.
  • doleawg
    doleawg Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Meant as constructive feedback. I trusted martin, I love splitting train tickets, it is genius but the new tool is sponsored and that makes me distrust it, anti the ethos of moneysaving expert.

I ahve tested the new one a few times and it has failed too often for me to bother now. I still have the old one bookmarked and it works great.

You need to go back to the old one and work on that.
  • bartonhillbum
    Options
    I have just tried to book a ticket from Bristol Lawrence Hill to Grantham for Sep 22nd returning on the 24th Sep The Return fare on National rail is £76.35 On the MSE/Trainline site the single fare is £51.35 PLUS £O.70 + £1.50 SO HOW MUCH FOR A RETURN ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure