We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing digs and coming out of my cave... for a wee while atleast :)

Options

Comments

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know Beanie :(

But they have came and picked it up, so we have £320 in our hand, just need to talk to people in the know now and find out when my hero is next speaking ..... Sigh ..... I know where I would rather be tbh
  • elantan
    Options
    So we have £320 to decide what to do with, If I put it towards the mortgage I would get whole £23 saved in interest over the remaining term of the mortgage, so I am thinking not to put it all towards the mortgage, but the whole ohhh we would owe less money is pulling me towards that idea :)

If i put it into my pension it would go up to £400 to invest and I cant really predict how much it could eventually become.

Or i could put it towards a holiday, we havnt got anything planned for the next three years as i will be studying and only have 7 weeks off, those 7 weeks are at expensive times to go away ( Xmas, Easter, Summer holidays etc) so we have agreed not to go away till I am through my course, we could however go wee weekends away, or camping etc ... but we will need money for that, the £320 would be a good start towards saving for a few breaks.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 5,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nice position to be in, totally get the dilemma :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Holiday! some folk could manage three years but it's a big part of what you enjoy so don't make yourself miserable - maybe a weekend away or put it toward a cash neutral holiday next year? Could be a wee project...
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current May 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £3300/7000

Mortgage balance: £50112

Make £100 extra a month: June £218. Boiler £376/2000

47 pay days until freedom!
  • elantan
    Options
    Thats kinda what we decided Skinty, we do enjoy our holidays and havnt been away for over a year now and feel scunnered ... I think partly because we have not been away and have nothing to look forward to. Have paid the £20 off of the mortgage, and the rest will be for a holiday.

The idea of a cost neutral holiday is appealing, we did Poland, York and Bath very cheaply so it might be a wee challenge for Mr El and myself, great idea :)

Now what else can i sell lol ... obviously not through ebay as i'm still having issues with that, think we are up to £4-5000 now, i'm still getting daily emails about it all and have had to reply to a fair few, but its still ongoing :(
  • elantan
    Options
    Went to speakers club tonight, didn't have to do my talk as there was a change of schedule, we trialed a new thing, 5 people on a balloon and we could only save one, I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my face, it was so much fun.

Next week its my speech :)
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was planning going to America in either May or September. It now seems I will be going in December which has thrown the whole thing in the air. Should I just go for 20th December and follow up with a trip to Cuba (one of the places on my list).
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm glad you had fun instead of doing your speech :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    Went to speakers club tonight, didn't have to do my talk as there was a change of schedule, we trialed a new thing, 5 people on a balloon and we could only save one, I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my face, it was so much fun.

Next week its my speech :)

We used to do something like that at school except it was a raft - folk did it as characters sometimes like Rik from the Young ones:D

I think you need to get this speech done!:p
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current May 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £3300/7000

Mortgage balance: £50112

Make £100 extra a month: June £218. Boiler £376/2000

47 pay days until freedom!
  • elantan
    Options
    I do need to get this speech done, was all geared up for it as well :)

Butti where abouts in USA are you going ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport