Should Scotland be an independent country?

Options

Comments

• John_Pierpoint
    Options
    (notwithstanding the potential role for 'negative' taxes)

I think that is a superb circumlocution to avoid saying "subsidy" ?

Do I see the ideas of Henry George being dusted off?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_George
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    anniey wrote: »
    I'm still a bit mystified why MSE should include a 'red alert' to say that some Scottish 'yes' votes may not be a true reflection of MSE users,

It explains it fully in the text.

They've detected voting irregularities consistent with an external campaign to skew the results.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Miski wrote: »
    Don't mind as long as rUK get the majority of assets that are split.

And no currency union.
    LisaW123 wrote: »
    I don't think an independent Scotland will have the option of keeping Sterling as it's currency. If an independent Scotland wants to retain membership of the EU, it will have to apply as a secession state and part of this will involve taking the Euro as currency.

Well according to the most recent poll the British public (across all parties) seem to think Scotland should share Sterling, and passportless travel aroud the British Isles
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/independent-scotland-should-keep-pound-ruk-poll-1-3249717
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    If Scotland wants independence and wants to be a member of the EU, they would have to join the Euro.

Secondly, why would the UK hand over a slice of the Bank of England? How many banks does Scotland want, in name they have Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland, why not just nationalise them ?

When it comes to the Queen, she descends from a daughter of James I, the Scots chucked the Stuarts out and it looks like the male line ended in 1807.

There is an alternative line via James I's son Charles I and his daughter Henrietta Stuart which ends up with Franz, Duke of Bavaria born 1933. His heir is his brother Prince Max, Duke of Bavaria. As neither of them has sons the title will pass to Prince Luitpold of Bavaria (born 1951) CEO of the Kaltenberg brewery.

Unless their succession laws are changed, Prince Luitpold's heir will be Prince Ludwig of Bavaria born 1982.

So Prince George of Cambridge or Prince Ludwig of Bavaria could be King of Scotland.

If the Scots vote for independence then I hope that will mean the end of Scottish MPs in the House of Commons.

The polls are always asked of the Scots but not of the English, Welsh and N Irish. Wonder whether we'd say here have yer banks back, take yer whisky and running out oil and gas and bog off because really, I have to wonder who else besides the Scots actually cares.
  • gm_xone
    gm_xone Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    If Scotland wants independence and wants to be a member of the EU, they would have to join the Euro.

That's incorrect. And has already been answered.

Secondly, why would the UK hand over a slice of the Bank of England?

The Bank of England is the central bank of the whole of the United Kingdom.

If the Scots vote for independence then I hope that will mean the end of Scottish MPs in the House of Commons.

Obviously it would. Why would an independent Scotland, or indeed any independent country anywhere, hold elections to Westminster - the parliament of the (r)UK?

... I have to wonder who else besides the Scots actually cares.

Seeing as you've taken the time to post. You?
  • nhampson
    nhampson Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, its a horrible place. This is proved by all the scots I know telling me how great it is after moving to and living in England. :rotfl:
    Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.
  • gm_xone
    gm_xone Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    nhampson wrote: »
    Yes, its a horrible place. This is proved by all the scots I know telling me how great it is after moving to and living in England. :rotfl:

And what does it mean to you when there's around 500,000 English, Northern Irish and Welsh people currently resident in Scotland?

In any case, independence for Scotland has nothing whatsoever to do with disliking anyone or any country within the UK (or elsewhere). Self-determination is what independence is actually about.
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Options
    The few votes that the yes scottish voters won by shows how deprecate the yes team are, having to beg people to go on a online poll to try and drum up support. If the no voters had been as worried they could have rallied the troops. The higher amount of people voting no on proper polls has worried the yes camp and they are trying to get people on here to away opinion
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    Well according to the most recent poll the British public (across all parties) seem to think Scotland should share Sterling, and passportless travel aroud the British Isles
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/independent-scotland-should-keep-pound-ruk-poll-1-3249717

Well that's the worst poll ever, a few oeopke asked loaded questions. Are the full findings of the poll out. Is there a recent poll which wasn't commissioned by the main party. Did they ask the question should scotland keep sterling. The question they have released the answer to was should scotland and the reset of the uk keep tr sterling. For a proper answer to be given the question needs to be on just scotland.
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    rich987652 wrote: »
    I'm English and have lived in Scotland for 2 years and am therefore eligible to vote next year.

I love Scotland and think its a great place to live, but I have no plans to vote next year. I'm going to leave the decision to the Scots who are more passionate than me about the vote.

However, I am hoping for a 'no' vote. Why is that? It is called my own ignorance, as I don't really know what it will mean for me. I know what the current setup means for me, but I don't know the impact of a 'yes' vote.

Could my house lose value? Will I pay more tax? These and many other questions are hard to determine as most of the information published are filled with political bias from both sides. I could do some research myself but I'm not inclined to do so.

My hope for a no is based on nothing other than 'the devil you know' if you excuse the phrase.

However, I will say 2 things:

The people here are actually friendlier than many I've experienced in England and with 1 exception, I have been welcomed in this country with open arms.

I totally agree this is not an anti-England vote, but instead a pro-Scotland vote. However, I know many patriotic Scots who intend to vote no due to doubts as to whether it would be best for them.

I also accept that the circles I operate in do not represent an accurate cross-section of the population and therefore is not something that necessarily represents the likely outcome

I was on the fence until a few years ago.

What changed my mind. Lots

The main things were Trident, and more information

http://wingsoverscotland.com/

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/

http://www.businessforscotland.com/

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/

Years ago the information was not there and people had to believe what they read on the mainstream media. With the advent of the internet and social media things are out in the open
    Mind you the waffle is also in the open, but that's only fair
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family