Should Scotland be an independent country?

Options

Comments

• baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2014 at 6:23AM
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    If Scotland wants independence and wants to be a member of the EU, they would have to join the Euro.

No- Sweden are in the EU and not in the Euro, besides Scotland can't join as we don't have our own currency

Secondly, why would the UK hand over a slice of the Bank of England? How many banks does Scotland want, in name they have Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland, why not just nationalise them ?
    All UK assets are divided on a per capita basis- so British Embassies will be 8.4% owned by Scotland
    The same applies to the Bank of England.
    Things landlocked- such as the gas in Morecombe bay will belong to the rest of the UK. Oil in Scottish territorial waters will belong to Scotland

When it comes to the Queen, she descends from a daughter of James I, the Scots chucked the Stuarts out and it looks like the male line ended in 1807.

There is an alternative line via James I's son Charles I and his daughter Henrietta Stuart which ends up with Franz, Duke of Bavaria born 1933. His heir is his brother Prince Max, Duke of Bavaria. As neither of them has sons the title will pass to Prince Luitpold of Bavaria (born 1951) CEO of the Kaltenberg brewery.

Unless their succession laws are changed, Prince Luitpold's heir will be Prince Ludwig of Bavaria born 1982.

So Prince George of Cambridge or Prince Ludwig of Bavaria could be King of Scotland.
    The vote is to end the Union of Parliaments (1707), not the Union of Crowns (1603)

If the Scots vote for independence then I hope that will mean the end of Scottish MPs in the House of Commons.
    Yes that will happen

The polls are always asked of the Scots but not of the English, Welsh and N Irish. Wonder whether we'd say here have yer banks back, take yer whisky and running out oil and gas and bog off because really, I have to wonder who else besides the Scots actually cares.

Information on independence

www.wingsoverscotland.com
    baldly going on...
  • Barontorc
    Options
    Hi Baldy',

If you seriously like living in Scotland and want to remain here, there is absolutely no reason for you to prefer the 'devil you know' and as I see you are well in touch with the main blogs that go into everything to do with independence, I'm puzzled with your opinion as it stands.

The NO side is offering nothing but the Status Quo, but that now comes with 'bells-on' and it will be SQ minus that is heading Scotland's way if YES fails and everything you enjoy about Scottish life will disintegrate before your very eyes over the next few years, forever.

It's no secret that the UK debt problem is totally irretrievable. We are borrowing to pay back the interest, not the capital. The GDP value of the UK is less than the finance costs of the national debt, which is standing as I write at over £13,000 million and growing by over £5100 every second. Osborne is clueless what to do and seemingly witless announces today he is looking for £28bn savings from the welfare budgets over the next 4 years just to cover this roaring debt storm. That'll mean crushing austerity the likes you have not yet seen in Scotland with all the social collapse that comes with it.

We don't deserve this my friend - we are paying more than our share into Westminster's coffers and getting pocket money back, which is to be cut even more, even the stabilizer of the Barnett formula is under threat.

So, I say to you again, if you are a true friend of Scotland and its people, do not vote NO by not voting - vote YES for life and the kind of growth rUk will never have a chance of establishing. :beer:
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    Barontorc wrote: »
    Hi Baldy',
    vote YES :

Granny sucking eggs?

I already know how I will vote and it won't be NO
    baldly going on...
  • Barontorc
    Options
    Sorry to put this to you Baldy - I misread the posting it should have gone to rich987652.

Right with you! But lots to do. Prof John Curtis up to his old psephology antics on NNS again conflating No and Don't Know figures - when are we gonna get an honest deal from this guy?

ATB :beer:
  • sundevil_rachael
    Options
    It is too late for me to offer an argument as to why I am in the 'Yes' camp tonight, but following a similar debate on another forum earlier, I think the 'no' camp are seriously underestimating our numbers! I want to hear arguments as to why not?

The question is should Scotland be Independent. Full stop. Not will we be better off, poorer, have the euro, be in the EU, build a 6 foot border wall. Take away all that debate and ask yourself that core question. The rest will all get thrashed out in the wash as they say :beer:

Night all
  • Barontorc
    Options
    Hi Rich,

I posted this by mistake to another poster but its meant for you:-

If you seriously like living in Scotland and want to remain here, there is absolutely no reason for you to prefer the 'devil you know' and as I see you are well in touch with the main blogs that go into everything to do with independence, I'm puzzled with your opinion as it stands.

The NO side is offering nothing but the Status Quo, but that now comes with 'bells-on' and it will be SQ minus that is heading Scotland's way if YES fails and everything you enjoy about Scottish life will disintegrate before your very eyes over the next few years, forever.

It's no secret that the UK debt problem is totally irretrievable. We are borrowing to pay back the interest, not the capital. The GDP value of the UK is less than the finance costs of the national debt, which is standing as I write at over £13,000 billion and growing by over £5100 every second. Osborne is clueless what to do and seemingly witless announces today he is looking for £28bn savings from the welfare budgets over the next 4 years just to cover this roaring debt storm. That'll mean crushing austerity the likes you have not yet seen in Scotland with all the social collapse that comes with it.

We don't deserve this my friend - we are paying more than our share into Westminster's coffers and getting pocket money back, which is to be cut even more, even the stabilizer of the Barnett formula is under threat.

So, I say to you again, if you are a true friend of Scotland and its people, do not vote NO by not voting - vote YES for life and the kind of growth rUk will never have a chance of establishing.
  • DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    Options
    It's not independence though is it....Salmond wants to join the EU so there goes 'self-determination'....the Union is not perfect, but, together we have done many incredible things for a small island, more recently when we stood alone, for a time, against the fascist German war-machine.....the same Germans Salmond wants to jump into bed with....
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    DaveTheMus wrote: »
    It's not independence though is it....Salmond wants to join the EU so there goes 'self-determination'....the Union is not perfect, but, together we have done many incredible things for a small island, more recently when we stood alone, for a time, against the fascist German war-machine.....the same Germans Salmond wants to jump into bed with....

Together we have done many incredible things?
    Trident weapons miles from Glasgow
    Increased poverty
    Food banks
    Austerity (instead of trying policies that grow the economy, such as not doing quantitative easing to £300 billion and building houses ans infrastructure)
    ATOS assessments
    A benefits system where one size does not fit all- bedroom tax
    MP- duck pond expenses etc
    Going back to WWII etc- Canada and other Commonwealth countries came to UK aid- we would still be in the Commonwealth. Scotland can then decide to take our troops to war if it wanted, which brings me to my next 2 points
    Afghanistan
    Iraq

Remember Scotland would be in control- when we are independent we can decide to do things our way.
    We can decide to stay or leave the EU - it will be up to the Scottish Parliament (will of the people and all that), not Westminster - which has the SE of England and London as it's priorities to the expense of the remainder of the UK

As far as the EU goes- we have no say over the EU at present, with the exception of begging the UK to put our point across, remember this is the same UK that saw Scottish fishing interests as 'expendable' to further other UK interests

This is the same UK that
    Made dead peoples votes count - to turn a 51.8% YES vote in a referendum (1979) to a NO, 40% Rule
    Hid a report that showed the true value of Scotland's oil in the 1970's, and continues to underestimate today McCrone Report and HERE
    A former UK chancellor admits to hiding Scotland's resources and admits Westminster is 'scared stiff' of losing Scotland and the income from oil

So, Dave - Much as I respect your view I completely disagree with your opinion, but still support your right to have it and voice it

My closing link
    If you have time have a look at this youtube video, it blows the myth about Scotland not being able to afford independence

Please excuse the naff intro graphics, the video is definitely worth a watch :)
    baldly going on...
  • DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    Options
    ^^^^^^

The afghan war was a NATO conflict and last I checked, Salmond wanted to remain in NATO..........regarding Iraq, it was the politicians that took Britain to war, yes, even the ones with their constituencies in Scotland......an 'independent' Scotland could still be railroaded into a conflict the people don't want.........regarding your other points.......I think it's selfish of the people of Scotland to abandon the working-class of England, N.Ireland and Wales, just as selfish as some of the things you highlighted in your post.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DaveTheMus wrote: »
    ^^^^^^

The afghan war was a NATO conflict and last I checked, Salmond wanted to remain in NATO..........regarding Iraq, it was the politicians that took Britain to war, yes, even the ones with their constituencies in Scotland......an 'independent' Scotland could still be railroaded into a conflict the people don't want.........regarding your other points.......I think it's selfish of the people of Scotland to abandon the working-class of England, N.Ireland and Wales, just as selfish as some of the things you highlighted in your post.

Please enlighten me. I couldn't see what was selfish in that post.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure