Should Scotland be an independent country?

Options

Comments

• Miski
    Miski Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options
    Don't mind as long as rUK get the majority of assets that are split.

And no currency union.
  • gm_xone
    gm_xone Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Miski wrote: »
    Don't mind as long as rUK get the majority of assets that are split.

And no currency union.

Oh, there's no doubt the rUK will have the majority of the assets. The rUK will have the majority of the liabilities too, of course.

If, as is quite possible, both liabilities and assets are apportioned on a population-share basis, then Scotland would inherit approximately 8.4% of each.

There'll be many negotiations to be done (some may even have taken place already) between the respective governments. Most of those could probably be completed in a fairly short timescale - some others could potentially take longer. Protracted, and purposely prolonging negotiations clearly wouldn't be in either "side's" interests, though.

If the rUK government conclude a shared Sterling zone is in their best interests - and despite various "noises" being made, the current UK government has not ruled out this possibility - then that's likely what will happen.
  • Leanne1812
    Leanne1812 Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For anyone who likes facts & figures this is brilliant. Non political business for Scotland representatives.

Please share.

There are 4 videos to watch, number 2 gets down to the nitty gritty.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eCWZemVMKJY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeCWZemVMKJY
  • anniey
    anniey Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mmmm, I usually have a peek at these MSE polls but this is the first time I've commented on one.

I'm still a bit mystified why MSE should include a 'red alert' to say that some Scottish 'yes' votes may not be a true reflection of MSE users, or is this another manifestation of 'project fear'?!:eek:

(I'm a 'Yes' from Scotland BTW, for the chance of a more fair, democratic, accountable, locally governed country)
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Options
    Leanne1812 wrote: »
    For anyone who likes facts & figures this is brilliant. Non political business for Scotland representatives.

Please share.

There are 4 videos to watch, number 2 gets down to the nitty gritty.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eCWZemVMKJY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeCWZemVMKJY

So no facts hen where was the data from
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • Leanne1812
    Leanne1812 Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sharnad wrote: »
    So no facts hen where was the data from

If you paid attention you would know this....

Official GERS reports.
  • frank777
    frank777 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    :)''Had previously put this on to another thread related to Bank of Scotland maybe this site would be better''

Just a thought, if everybody uses the Balfron (804531) Branch we could well make this Village Branch top of the Scottish League and flag the Branch for an award by BoS Head Office, I guess that would be People Power. They might even think that it's an English takeover bid for the village Bank!
    Have the MPs discussed how the Scottish Independence Referendum Vote will effect the English savers, what if the New Scottish Government choose to reject the GB Pound in favour of their own currency, will the exchange rate be the same! Any uncertainty could cause a panic, and if all the English savers closed their accounts the BoS may need to be bailed out by England? - unless the New Scottish Government apply for membership to the EU.

PS: Balfron, is a village in the Stirling council area of Scotland, Balfron is blessed with police station, Ambulance Station and a Fire Station. They have a library, post office and a bank.There was a time when Balfron issued its own currency - http://balfron.ning.com/

Harsh words and poor reasoning never settle anything
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    frank777 wrote: »
    Have the MPs discussed how the Scottish Independence Referendum Vote will effect the English savers, what if the New Scottish Government choose to reject the GB Pound in favour of their own currency, will the exchange rate be the same! Any uncertainty could cause a panic, and if all the English savers closed their accounts the BoS may need to be bailed out by England? - unless the New Scottish Government apply for membership to the EU.

How does it affect other banks that operate all over the world? How do THEY deal with all the different currencies, interest rates etc etc.

It's been done, and continues to be done on a daily basis.I cant see it would be a problem.
  • LisaW123
    LisaW123 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think an independent Scotland will have the option of keeping Sterling as it's currency. If an independent Scotland wants to retain membership of the EU, it will have to apply as a secession state and part of this will involve taking the Euro as currency.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    LisaW123 wrote: »
    I don't think an independent Scotland will have the option of keeping Sterling as it's currency. If an independent Scotland wants to retain membership of the EU, it will have to apply as a secession state and part of this will involve taking the Euro as currency.

I think the BoE would WANT an Independent Scotland to use Sterling.
    I'm sure if we adopt it, they would make money out of us using it.

As far as Europe goes, they wont have to apply and they wont have to adopt the Euro. (that might be a load of cobblers, just because I say it on an internet forum, or its mentioned by a biased Spaniard, doesnt make it true).

I was under the impression David Cameron could ask the question as the Prime minister of the UK but for some reason doesnt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure