Parking fine while picking up children

Options

Comments

• Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    I live in a largeish village with a primary school, and most of the children live in the village - not more than half a mile from the school.
    However, at around 2.30 - 3.00 the great car stampede starts, with all the "yummy mummys" headed off down to park as close to the school as possible.
    This results in illegal parking all over the place - pavement parking, parking across people's drives, double yellow lines.
    We used to walk to school (about two miles) right from infants school - what is wrong with folks nowadays?

I'm in London and there's a school further down my road. All the kids are local obviously and it's a secondary school. so we're not even talking young kids there.

Many do walk/ take the bus, there's still a silly amount of parents who feel that they absolutely must come with the car to pick their kids up from right outside the gate. Although the school has an entrance on the main road, for some reason they thought that having the pupils use the entrance on a small residential road would be a good idea.

Between the parents parking randomly everywhere, and the kids running all over the place (and they absolutely do not look before stepping off the pavement), frankly I avoid driving down my own road near out time as it's a complete nightmare.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I live on a road with two schools a 1/4 mile apart!

The primary school isn't too big a problem - most of the parents seem to arrive on foot towing their kid on a scooter (in my day you had to use your feet :D).

The secondary school is actually at a junction - does this stop the stupider parents from trying to stop directly outside? No - they just stop in the middle of the road and bellow at the kids to run and jump in.

Even more annoying is the fact that the school was rebuilt a few years back and the designers thought that if they built it without any parking spaces or even a drop-off zone (there is space for one) then everyone would magically turn green and cycle. Yeah - right:p

And as part of the rebuilding, it has to be open in the evenings for community activities - so the school run happens again at 6pm inbound and 9pm outbound for the cubs&brownies, sports clubs and adult education classes.

I actually have an unofficial game with one of the teachers - if she arrives as I leave for work - she has "my" space and I get it back at hometime.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Even more annoying is the fact that the school was rebuilt a few years back and the designers thought that if they built it without any parking spaces or even a drop-off zone (there is space for one) then everyone would magically turn green and cycle. Yeah - right:p

That was probably enforced by the planners, not the architects. Our local planning department had a hair brained scheme to force people on to their bikes by restricting parking places for new build houses.

The result... at evenings and weekends, the roads are choked with parked cars.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    That sounds like a Brighton plan.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can we get a picture of the parking before getting all judgemental.

If you don't know where to upload the picture you can use this site.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lum wrote: »

Erm.... Bit late for that don't you think?
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

As the OP said they left their car for 9 mins including dropping a child off, I suspect it must have been near to the school. I could be wrong but how many areas near schools do you know at school time that are clear of traffic, where leaving a car on a yellow line would not cause obstruction.
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did either of you actually click on or hover over the link I gave, to see where it went before you hit the reply button?
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I am all for parking tickets for lazy people with no consideration for the safety of their children or anyone else's or the mayhem they cause with their antics.

The school near us is maximum 200 yards off the main road every morning (and afternoon) almost every parent drives up the narrow road (usually as fast as they can) and causes obstructions, they park across our access road, or even in the end of the access road totally oblivious to the inconvenience they cause. If they all used a bit of common sense they could park on the main road and drop the older kids off at the crossing patrol and they could safely walk the short road with the smaller one's without risking being hit by someone doing a 28 point turn or driving like Schumaker (sp) back home 300 yards away..
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Did either of you actually click on or hover over the link I gave, to see where it went before you hit the reply button?

oh :rotfl: I just assumed it was a site advising how to upload pictures from google maps or something :rotfl:

(sorry)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport