BT infinity question

Options
Strange question on BT forum - even more confusing answer

Do I need a BT phone landline to get BT Infinity?

You'll need a BT line or another similar, non-cable line, before we can install BT Infinity.

It’s no problem if you don't have a phone line right now: we can arrange this for you as part of your BT Infinity order

I had assumed that BT infinity would only be installed on a BT line - but obviously I was wrong
Has anyone any experience of getting infinity on (for example) a TalkTalk line ?

Comments

• Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    When it says BT line it means a line using BT phone equipment at the exchange. Some providers such as Talk Talk and Sky as well as others use both their own equipment and BT owned stuff as well.

If they use the BT owned equipment the Infinity service will still work, but if they use their own phone equipment, then it wont.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To get Infinity, you must take BT line rental. There's no reason why that can't be installed on a line that's currently LLU'd though.
    The line will simply be switched back to the BT network and then enabled for FTTC.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I went from 02 BB (ADSL) / BT phone to PlusNet Fibre and it all went smoothly. Except my router never arrived before the fitting day (had several parcels go missing lately though).

When i phoned to say it had not arrived it came the next day.

I had a HomeHub 3 anyway. So I just used my login details with that.

Fibre fitted exactly 2 weeks after my inital call enquiring and the phone swapped about 2 weeks after that.

Over 10 times faster for me. 350mb a minute approx.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you report a fault, imagine BT and the other company passing the buck. So, even if they allowed it, I wouldn't. I just have BT Infinity on a BT line.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    If you report a fault, imagine BT and the other company passing the buck. So, even if they allowed it, I wouldn't. I just have BT Infinity on a BT line.

BT Internet problem on a BT line >> BT look at the BT Open Reach booking list and offer appointments .

Plus Net Internet problem PN look at the BT OR booking list and offer appointments .

Competence of the BT OR guys varies as many work for sub contractors .

From experience the critical point for users is the CS response via the user forums .
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tiscali, which is now taken over by TalkTalk, used to batch exchange visits to save money, so it was pointless my calling every day. The Indian call centre fired off e-mails when I called, but they just sat in a queue somewhere, until some manager decided it was worth paying BT for an exchange visit, to fix several problems in one go. Three weeks was the longest outage I had.

Once an engineer actually called me to confirm the broadband was back up, and let slip that my configuration was lost because it wasn't backed up, so when they re-booted or upgraded, the restored database didn't have me in it. This kind of thing could be fixed just like that: it's simply the non-BT ISP doesn't want to pay for it.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    Tiscali, which is now taken over by TalkTalk, used to batch exchange visits to save money, so it was pointless my calling every day. The Indian call centre fired off e-mails when I called, but they just sat in a queue somewhere, until some manager decided it was worth paying BT for an exchange visit, to fix several problems in one go. Three weeks was the longest outage I had.

Once an engineer actually called me to confirm the broadband was back up, and let slip that my configuration was lost because it wasn't backed up, so when they re-booted or upgraded, the restored database didn't have me in it. This kind of thing could be fixed just like that: it's simply the non-BT ISP doesn't want to pay for it.

Seems like someone has given you had information at some stage.

When you book a broadband based engineer to repair a broadband fault, it has to be a BT Openreach engineer for everything as they own the network. The only thing that isn't managed by Openreach is the broadband equipment in the exchange. It either belongs to the ISP, or BT Wholesale. Different engineers work on these for equipment faults that affect lots of people, but that's rare.

When you book an engineer you can only book 1 engineer per customer so you couldn't bulk book an engineer to get better value for money. It's not possible the way that engineers are booked due to system and regulation constraints.

If you are with BT for broadband and you have an equipment fault at the exchange.
    BT retail raise it to BT wholesale who then raise it to BT Openreach.
    3 separate companies so the services they offer don't create a bias for each other over other ISP's
    All your base are belong to us.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Stop calling it them BT Openreach. It's just Openreach.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    Seems like someone has given you had information at some stage.

That's the internet for you, I can only go by what other people tell me. Even with the unbiased structure that you describe, somebody was batching jobs in the hierarchy. I can't believe an outage took three weeks to queue if it was a first come first served system.

Tiscali was in financial trouble, though, so it's possible they simply didn't have the budget to pay for an exchange visit right away. Tiscali Max (Up to 8Mbps, actually got 5Mbps) was a very good deal for years. I was wondering how they made money, and as it turned out, they didn't.
  • lee111s wrote: »
    Stop calling it them BT Openreach. It's just Openreach.

Its more accurate to call them "Openreach. A BT Group Business", which is what they call themselves on their vans and website; a rather long winded way of saying "BT Openreach".
    :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport