13»

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    TalkTalk charge on £12.50 per month unlimited + line rental
    for essentially the same thing as BT @ £23 per month !!

Hence the £100 Sainsburys voucher, and £16 a month for three months (=£21 off). £121 / 12 = £10 off per month.

I went for the 40GB limit deal, so it's like £100/12= £8.33 off a month, which is £15-£8.33=£6.67 a month + line rental.
    I pay by Line Rental Saver £141/12=£11.75, of course.

As it turns out, the BT usage monitor isn't working for "a small number of users", so they will not charge me if I do go over 40GB. When I was on 10GB limit with ADSL, I very rarely got near it. It's typically when I do a major PC re-install, that I need to have more.

The thing to watch out for is the SkyDrive, CloudDrive malarkey. They backup to the web drive without you knowing, which uses up the quota.
  • unironed
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    On the BT website right now:

BT Infinity 1, 40GB limit £15 a month + line rental, £30 Activation, £6.95 postage for HomeHub 5, £100 Sainsbury voucher (10 days promo).

For Unlimited, £23 a month + line rental, but first three months £16 each. The rest the same, except maybe BT Netprotect Plus.

You are complaining that they don't show you a deal that costs more.

Thanks Pincher but my complaint was that BT weren't advertising the option to commission BT Infinity on a line that wasn't also provided by BT.

I now have confirmation from their Customer Services team that this is indeed possible..

"You do need to have a working telephone line to have BT Broadband / Infinity, however, you do not need a BT line."

..and (after some persuasion) they've credited me the £150 my previous line rental provider (Unicom) charged me for termination of the service. Quite happy with that!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Right - similarly, I assume that there will be no restriction on the Fibre ISP that I could use on my TalkTalk phone line (should I ever be upgraded to Fibre) ?
  • unironed
    Options
    Yup, you'll be able to put BT Infinity on your TalkTalk line as and when BT upgrade your local area to support fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTC).
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    unironed wrote: »
    Yup, you'll be able to put BT Infinity on your TalkTalk line as and when BT upgrade your local area to support fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTC).

Thanks - at the moment, they tell me ""financial restraints" prevent them from upgrading my cabinet - despite half of my road having been upgraded last year !!
    We live in a moderately large town - in the middle of a whole load of "already upgraded" roads - I have been on to my local council, my MP, BT, etc etc - with no result ....
  • unironed
    Options
    Think you need to find out, from BT's perspective, what the 'Financial Restraints' actually are.

Do they believe that take-up of Infinity in your road is going to be lower than elsewhere in your area? Or is the cabinet especially expensive to upgrade?

Very frustrating to see your neighbours get fibre whilst you're left out. You've probably seen this before, but...

From superfast-openreach dot co dot uk slash faq

How do you decide which exchange areas get superfast fibre broadband?
    Working closely with our customers, we consider various factors. They include;

how many people live in the area
    likely demand for superfast fibre broadband
    the layout of our existing network
    the cost of deployment and the potential return on our investment
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    unironed wrote: »
    ..and (after some persuasion) they've credited me the £150 my previous line rental provider (Unicom) charged me for termination of the service. Quite happy with that!

Unicom seems to a business oriented company, so you probably signed a long contract, like three years, and can't get out of it. Interesting scenario.

For domestic customers, it's simpler to just wait for they are out of contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure