Forensic Vet Report

Options

Comments

• hachette
    hachette Posts: 591 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2013 at 8:18PM
    Options
    Beachview wrote: »
    Yes I thought it was him too when I read this thread this evening, though I only ever read bits of the other thread so don't know if he was mentioned there. I have had dealings with him too something a vet did to my dog. After speaking to solicitors I was advised the small claims court was the route to go.

So maybe I got his name from your thread? Did you go to small claims court? If you did how did it go? What happened to your dog?
  • Beachview_2
    Options
    hachette wrote: »
    So maybe I got his name from your thread? Did you go to small claims court? If you did how did it go? What happened to your dog?

No you didn't get his name from my thread. I asked on the Northern Ireland section if anyone could recommend a solicitor who would deal with negligent vets and someone recommended him. It seems there isn't much in legislation for negligent treatment by vets. The law views animals/pets more as possessions, such as if you had a car damaged, and the only money you are likely to get is the cost of treatment. There is no compensation for mistreatment of animals, unlike if the same sort of medical negligence happened to a human.

I haven't been to the small claims court yet, but it is listed for hearing and I am waiting for the date, which will be some time next year. The court office has sent me a letter which tells me I have to wait until a certain date to give the vets a chance to refund me. I will fall over in shock if they do.

I will send you a PM about my dog, as I don't want to put it on a public forum.

All the best :)
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I haven't been to the small claims court yet, but it is listed for hearing and I am waiting for the date, which will be some time next year. The court office has sent me a letter which tells me I have to wait until a certain date to give the vets a chance to refund me. I will fall over in shock if they do.

If the forensic vet's report in your case was fairly conclusive, why don't you expect your vets to accept this and refund rather than go to court.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Beachview_2
    Options
    If the forensic vet's report in your case was fairly conclusive, why don't you expect your vets to accept this and refund rather than go to court.

I've got a very low opinion of them.

Anyway I couldn't wait for a full report as I would then be out of time for going to court. From the date of knowledge I am only allowed a year. When I first found out the true cause of my dog's injuries, it was years later (early this year), when I had moved vets. In law I am only allowed one year from the date of knowledge, so I had to have it lodged with court by the end of this year really.

It took so long to find out what to do about this, and I had a lot of other stuff going on so a lot of my one year limit had been used up. Even for a preliminary report, it takes months. Even longer for a full report but by the time all the reports are ready, it would have been out of time for court.
  • hachette
    edited 30 November 2013 at 2:20AM
    Options
    No you didn't get his name from my thread. I asked on the Northern Ireland section if anyone could recommend a solicitor who would deal with negligent vets and someone recommended him. It seems there isn't much in legislation for negligent treatment by vets. The law views animals/pets more as possessions, such as if you had a car damaged, and the only money you are likely to get is the cost of treatment. There is no compensation for mistreatment of animals, unlike if the same sort of medical negligence happened to a human.

I will send you a PM about my dog, as I don't want to put it on a public forum.

All the best :)

Yes I found this out when my dog died because of the vet's negligence hence the letter to the Prime Ministe ( in my locked thread.) Animal=chatell. I don't know what I thought I could achive by this letter but I suppose the shock of finding out how animals are seen in the eyes of the law drove me to it. Well I achived nothing. I am sure that 90% ( if not more) of pet owners are not aware that their pets are things.
    I am so happy you have posted on my thread as we are both going through the same experience. Thank you.
  • hachette
    Options
    You may not have mentioned a name but he is highly identifiable from the information you've enclosed. Do you have his permission to publicly post details of his report?

My forensic vet does not work for MI5 (Sorry). He is what he is, a forensic vet plus more. What he has done for me is "the report on the facts provided in the death of my dog " that is his job, so stop make a meal out of it. I am sure he would be happy with the publicity.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My forensic vet does not work for MI5 (Sorry). He is what he is, a forensic vet plus more. What he has done for me is "the report on the facts provided in the death of my dog " that is his job, so stop make a meal out of it. I am sure he would be happy with the publicity.
    Fab reply Hachette , made me laugh.
  • hachette
    Options
    I am back again because as you know I need to decide soon if I should let my ex-vet's insurers have the report. I got advice from Hollydays:" I wouldn't do anything you can't un-do." I felt it was very good advice and I have not passed on the report to them yet.

WestonDave said:" No real harm in letting them have the report."
    Again, this could work too, if the insurers could see what they are up against maybe (or not) they would opt for settling out of court .

So I am still no wiser what to do. What do you think if I ask them to send me their or their experts conclusions on the statements/evidence they got from my vets and then we could exchange our reports?

It makes me sad that my case has now become financial issue but sadly getting money back for my dog's awful treatment plus other finacial loss I have suffered due to his death is the only way I can get them to admit to the wrongdoing that had occurred.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It makes me sad that my case has now become financial issue but sadly getting money back for my dog's awful treatment plus other finacial loss I have suffered due to his death is the only way I can get them to admit to the wrongdoing that had occurred.

I didn't read the whole of the original thread so you may have answered this before, but what do you want to happen? Have you decided what the best outcome for you would be from this point?

So if you want a refund of your vets costs, plus the cost of getting the forensic report done, you're probably best to send it to the vets in question with a covering letter saying so. They may pass it onto their insurers, but you're still then dealing with the vets directly.
  • hachette
    Options
    I didn't read the whole of the original thread so you may have answered this before, but what do you want to happen? Have you decided what the best outcome for you would be from this point?

So if you want a refund of your vets costs, plus the cost of getting the forensic report done, you're probably best to send it to the vets in question with a covering letter saying so. They may pass it onto their insurers, but you're still then dealing with the vets directly.

Thank you for your post. If only it was all as simple as that. Without reading previous posts it is impossible to know what this is about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure