Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hachette wrote: »
    So I am still no wiser what to do.
    Why not ask the author of the report what you should do?

Put quite simply, you do not know what qualifications anyone on this forum has. So just asking for people's opinions on what you should do is not the way to an informed decision.
  • hachette
    hachette Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Why not ask the author of the report what you should do?

Put quite simply, you do not know what qualifications anyone on this forum has. So just asking for people's opinions on what you should do is not the way to an informed decision.

This is true, but I cannot go back to the forensic vet as he has done what I have paid him to do (the reoprt) he is not a lawyer. I asked this on the forum with a thought few heads better then one. Well what a heck on Moday I will e-mail the insurers my reoprt. What will be will be.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect what'll happen is that the insurers will look at the report, look at the cost of defending the claim, make you a lowball offer, you'll threaten to pursue the claim, they'll agree something closer to but not actually what you wanted, you'll accept, and that'll be that.

Just question, if the practice has been sold, are you going to get the result of punishing the people who you hold to blame, or does it just become a case of money from somewhere, in which case do you even still want it?
  • Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 December 2013 at 9:58AM
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    I suspect what'll happen is that the insurers will look at the report, look at the cost of defending the claim, make you a lowball offer, you'll threaten to pursue the claim, they'll agree something closer to but not actually what you wanted, you'll accept, and that'll be that.

Just question, if the practice has been sold, are you going to get the result of punishing the people who you hold to blame, or does it just become a case of money from somewhere, in which case do you even still want it?

This is actually a good point re the practice being sold, it could well now be that the only people who are actually punished re this apart from you are the previous owners insurance co. The policy will have been paid at the time and may no longer be in force, the insurance co will be the ones who pay out and can't make the previous owners apologise.

I think all could achieve now is financial recompense from the insurance co, which the owners have already paid the policy for and so won't give a damn.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,703 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oli.s wrote: »

I think all could achieve now is financial recompense from the insurance co, which the owners have already paid the policy for and so won't give a damn.

I tend to agree that this may be the best you'll get - refund of the vet's bill for your dog's unsuccessful treatment plus the cost of the forensic vet's report.

The old practice's insurers may challenge the forensic vet's report, so you may have to wait. But until they get a copy of that report, they won't be prioritising this matter.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • hachette
    Options
    I tend to agree that this may be the best you'll get - refund of the vet's bill for your dog's unsuccessful treatment plus the cost of the forensic vet's report.

The old practice's insurers may challenge the forensic vet's report, so you may have to wait. But until they get a copy of that report, they won't be prioritising this matter.

When the practice was sold there must have been a question raised by the buyers if there are any unsolved litigations. I have made the owner aware of my intentions and I am sure he would have to admit to a possibility of a court case against the practice. I am going to let the insurers have a report tomorrow and see what happens.
  • hachette
    Options
    Oli.s wrote: »
    This is actually a good point re the practice being sold, it could well now be that the only people who are actually punished re this apart from you are the previous owners insurance co. The policy will have been paid at the time and may no longer be in force, the insurance co will be the ones who pay out and can't make the previous owners apologise.

When I made a complaint to RCVS I believed that the vet will be made accountable for her actions This illusion was quickly shattered. The fact is the negligent vets are not accountable to anyone not even RCVS. DEFRA has no powers to oversee the carrying out of functions by RCVS so RCVS is also not accountable to anyone.RCVS has no power to punish negilgent vets.What a state of affairs. I think this must be the most protected profession in UK. Sadly financial recompense( if I ever get it) is the only acknowledgement I can hope for to prove that wrong doing has occurred but what I would rather like to happen is to see the vet being suspended and made to go through further training before they can be allowed to practice again. My claim is not a big one however I have included all my financial loss due to Maxie's death. Post mortem report, creamation, solicitor's advice (useless as it was) the forensic report plus small compensation for the shock and distress I have suffered. I know in UK this is not usually awarded in such cases, so it will be very interesting how the insurers are going to deal with this. I am not going to back out as I feel if I go to court this may attract some media therefore people will see how difficult it is for a pet owners to stand up to negligent vets.
  • hachette
    Options
    Can anyone translate in simple terms this statement taken from the letter I have received from them:

DEFRA has the legislative responsibility for the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966.
  • hawk30
    hawk30 Posts: 416 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2013 at 8:55PM
    Options
    It means DEFRA (well, its predecessor) drafted the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 (VCA) before it was laid before Parliament for approval. So basically, DEFRA wrote it. It also means that any amendments or new laws related to the VCA will be written by DEFRA. I don't see that it affects you in any way.
  • hachette
    edited 4 December 2013 at 12:14AM
    Options
    hawk30 wrote: »
    It means DEFRA (well, its predecessor) drafted the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 (VCA) before it was laid before Parliament for approval. So basically, DEFRA wrote it. It also means that any amendments or new laws related to the VCA will be written by DEFRA. I don't see that it affects you in any way.
    I know it does not affect my case. I have my reasons for asking and I am so grateful for you to make this this clear for me. Thank you .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure