Aldi

Options

Comments

• ecraig
    ecraig Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You probably sound like a bit of a c**k to most people reading this. If you are credit worthy to have a credit card, you would expect to have a bank account with an associated debit card. In the event of you not being either, you'd have no choice but to live via cash only.

I have an American Express card but not everyone accepts this card. I am not polarised to believe that this is the only payment in existence and therefore I have other credit, debit and cash methods available.

Wake up and live in the real life.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    I'd be more embarassed to be seen buying groceries with a creditcard than I would be having it refused at Aldi mind you. I've always felt only the fec kless use creditcards for groceries.
    I tend to bank £50 a year in cash backs by using credit cards.

I never pay any interest.

So what you feel is wrong.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 1 November 2013 at 11:10PM
    Options
    Moto2 wrote: »
    So it would be OK to stop the good people of Berwick upon Tweed from being able to use a credit card so that you wouldn't then feel discriminated against?

Are you 15 yrs old?

They have separate policies for the stores that are run from their Scottish HQ, not which side of the border any particular store happens to be.
    The Berwick store is controlled by the Scottish HQ because logistically it makes sense.

I did wonder if Berwick was "Scottish controlled"-that makes sense.
    (What makes less sense is why they have a different policy for Scotland of course)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 1 November 2013 at 11:14PM
    Options
    Ha! Thanks for the slight chuckle there. I don't feel embarrassed about using my luma credit card (high apr if you don't pay in full, mind) when paying for my groceries. In fact, I feel empowered about spending (no more than) £225 per month on my groceries & cashing in on my £9 cashback. And the remainder of the month using my VA amex to gain my airmiles.

I shall think of you and your embarrassment whilst I'm sipping my alcoholic beverage on my next discounted/free flight (depending on my spend this year).

Cheers.

:beer:

Ha Ha
    Nice try but you obviously don't get onto the travel boards enough or you'd know I have more than enough enough miles and savvy to get more (although I don't drink when I fly just because it's free personally .... :) ) I just don't churn cards to do so.

I'm still a little bemused why anyone would have a credit card and no debit card fallback though.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd be more embarassed to be seen buying groceries with a creditcard than I would be having it refused at Aldi mind you. I've always felt only the fec kless use creditcards for groceries.

i only ever use my Amex card in Tesco/Morrisons...earn plenty of cashback using this card through the year, and the constant 'borrow & repay' is good practice.
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    I did wonder if Berwick was "Scottish controlled"-that makes sense.
    (What makes less sense is why they have a different policy for Scotland of course)

Maybe the manufacturers of Scotland's national drink with their massive influence over retailers insisted it could be bought with all valid methods of payment?

That's the power of Buckfast for you
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • rabbit_burrow
    Options
    Ha Ha
    Nice try but you obviously don't get onto the travel boards enough or you'd know I have more than enough enough miles and savvy to get more (although I don't drink when I fly just because it's free personally .... :) ) I just don't churn cards to do so.

I'm still a little bemused why anyone would have a credit card and no debit card fallback though.

I agree with you on the 'not having a debit card fallback' point. This is something that is important.

However, I will allow your sneer at me for using cards to gain airmiles. I may not earn as much as you to be able to easily gain airmiles, but as a single mom who does all she can for her children aswell as work part-time as an employee & full-time as a business owner, I will take any 'free' miles I can get even if it means 'churning' my cards to get it.

You may feel embarrassed if you were to use a credit card for groceries, but I for one am glad of the freebies & the cashback I can earn.

You are right that I don't go on the travel boards a lot. Sorry for being far to busy to spend loads of time reading threads here. I am happy for your fortune, but you shouldn't look down on those who do their best & aren't as obviously fortunate as you.

x
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ha Ha

Still waiting for you to tell me why my choice of buying groceries with a credit card makes me 'fec kless'...

Rather than patting yourself on the back at how clever you are whilst sneering at others... perhaps just live and let live?

Or at least provide a logical argument to support your assertions.
    :hello:
  • newbutold
    Options
    Wow OP, if this is all you have to worry about in your life, then you are one lucky person!
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me :D
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You may feel embarrassed if you were to use a credit card for groceries, but I for one am glad of the freebies & the cashback I can earn.

i agree. to each his/her own. and points/cashback from credit cards can add up really usefully:T.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure