MSE News: Virgin Media customers face 6.7% price hike

Comments

• You have to ring them, don't ring the 0845 no. it costs a fortune. Dial 150 from your landline and they will organise it within minutes. I got a refund for part of this month's payment.
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    6.7% is a lie.

My increase is 10.5%, I've seen others report increases in the range of 8 to 15%.

So how have they come up with this 6.7% figure ? Think I've worked it out - it relates to line rental only, £14.99 to £15.99 is 6.7% ! How many customers just pay line rental ? So saying its an 'average' is an outright lie.

Somebody at VM must think they're very clever. However most of their customers aren't that stupid (well those that can work out percentages anyway...)
  • Just got off the phone to VM - Apparently the £5.75 in the email was incorrect, my increase will only be £2.25.

Might be worth phoning up and checking.
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The website has been updated with the new prices now. Check your package as some are now cheaper, but to get the cheaper price you have to phone them up and agree to a 12 month contract.

I had TV XL + Tivo only and I was paying £37.00 due to go up to £39.50. Looked on the site and they now have it for £31.00 a month, so phoned them up and they put me down to £31 a month if I agreed to a 12 month contract.
  • I have the Premier Collection currently - 60mb broadband, XL Tv with Tivo, phone line and a second box in the bedroom. This was a 18th month contract from August 2012 (so expires February 2013)

I've been considering getting in touch with them and getting the tv dropped down to medium as i'm paying around £65 a month currently and it's starting to be a struggle. Now with the price hike, do people think I should pursue this line of enquiry or go straight for 'thinking of leaving' and see if they can offer a better price but keep what I have already?

I really wouldn't be able to afford £70 a month
  • We have the 60mb, XL tv, M phone and our bill is £48 a month (but we paid our line rental up front this week for a year £120 which saves £60 a year!). We use the landline on weekends when the calls are free and during the week we use our free minutes on our mobiles.
  • Using cashback with quidco a 12 month contract with sky for phone and fibre optic broadband comes in at £30 a month for the year (averaged out).

My VM bb and phone is currently £30 and going up to £33 so I have just rung to cancel the account with a view of moving to Sky.

They have counteroffered me a reduced tariff on a 12 month contract of £23.45 a month! Being that we are happy with our service etc I have taken that!

Worth ringing them.
  • Always pays to threaten to leave! Whenever we have problems with the service in our area I ring and have got quite a bit in refunds over the year, if you don't ask you don't get!
  • Ferris
    Ferris Posts: 471 Forumite
    I don't seem to have received a letter regarding a price increase yet. Have they all gone out already?

Also, my contract expires 24/1/14, which is also the date my current line rental saver (LRS) expires. The other day, I received a letter from VM informing me that the LRS is increasing in price, but I can lock in to the current price for another year if I stick around for another year. According to what I've read on MSE, the LRS price increase doesn't happen until February, but the letter gives me a deadline of 6th December to lock in at the lower price. Has anyone else had this? Will a renewed LRS run after the current one ends, or from this point on? I'd much rather have a LRS run to the same dates as my contract.

I get the impression that VM are trying to get me to commit to 12 months before I ring up to renegotiate my deal near the contract end date, so that I have no leverage, as I'm already tied in. But if new customers can get the £120 LRS until the end of January, why can't I?

All very confusing :( I'll be ringing to have my annual shout at them next week, but I thought I'd canvass the MSE hive mind first :)
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    My son received one today (BB + phone) I haven't yet but as a BB only customer I negotiated the increase for BB only in October into a substantial discount.

I have no idea what VM are playing at but new customer price for 60Mbps BB only is showing as £30 but it took very little effort on my part to get it for £22.50 last month - I just compalined about the £1.50 BB only rise being 2 rises in a year with both above infation and they immediately offered me the £22.50 deal. At least one other person here reported getting the newer and better Superhub 2 thrown in at that price.

My advice to everybody is simple - always phone in and negotiate whenever there is an increase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure