Please help me get rid of cold callers(i need a sticker) :(

Options

Comments

• Luckyred
    Luckyred Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    We have started to get a few more door step callers recently. When I opened the door to the most recent one he said "Good morning.... dont worry I am not trying to sell you anything." To which I replied.. " Oh that is good news because I dont want to buy anything." Then I just shut the door. :D
    In the last two weeks we have had a DG saleman who must have had very poor eyesight not to have noticed that our double glazing is pristine and only a few years old.
    Then a chap who reckoned he was doing someones garden up the road and had some bags of compost to spare.... never had that before.
    Another wanted to tarmac my lovely driveway. :eek:
    Then we had E-ON and another energy company whose name escapes me but the man was so sweet and polite that I was polite to him. He will never sell anything.... he was way to nice.
    We also had someone doing a survey about something or other. I didnt ask what it was and I didnt give him chance to tell me because I do not want to stand at the door answering questions asked by a stranger who has had the cheek to disturb me. :mad:
  • DebbieR
    DebbieR Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took pity on the poor young lad who'd been sent to canvas for a cavity wall insulation company in our area. He'd knocked on every door in our street(and probably the adjacent ones too) and I was the first one to tell him that our Victorian terraced houses had solid walls - therefore no cavities to fill! You'd think they'd do their research!!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't answer the door, if it's someone i know they'll know to let me know they're coming, but everyone else are ignored.
    Most cold callers on the phone are around tea time, so again if i'm cooking; eating; or washing the dishes the phone is left to ring out.
    After it stops i'll dial 1471 just in case it's important.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2012 at 11:53AM
    Options
    We bought a ceramic tile some years ago which was fixed to the wall just outside the front door. On it was a picture of snarling, vicious looking dog and the text "Our Dog Can Reach The Gate In 3 Seconds, Can You?"
    The Golden Retriever we had at the time always barked when the door bell sounded. If a cold caller rang the bell it was always amazing that, after the dog started barking and the door opened, there was never anyone there or a spivvy looking salesman would be just exiting the gate!
    All that would have happened, in reality, is the dog would have presented them with a pair of socks or anything else it could get hold of.
  • Mk14:37
    Mk14:37 Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jojo2004 wrote: »
    'Are you a plonker?'

'No, madam, but I am calling on behalf of the Liberal Democrats...'

Some might say..... :D
  • Ghostlove
    Ghostlove Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    I like to answer the door with one or two of my pet rats on my shoulder(s). Nothing like a big burly bloke whimpering "It's not going to jump at me, is it?!"
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
  • FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    Options
    My local council has introduced "Cold Calling Restriction Zones" to prevent cold calling, anyone selling door to door must provide prior notice of their intention to call (so you know not to answer the door). Our entire village is now a designated zone and it seems to have worked so far.

Perhaps anyone with a problem might want to forward this link to their local councillor to see if they fancy copying the idea - http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=8480&doc=26295&Language=1
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
  • WatlingA5
    WatlingA5 Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had one very short phone conversation with a cold-caller -
    Hello - are you the houseowner?
    No.
    Is the houseowner there?
    No.
    Thank you - goodbye.
  • Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had a cold caller once, that didn't answer. I then got an automated message saying goodbye.
  • Jo.1981
    Jo.1981 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    I used to get plagued with cold callers at the door. The worst were 8pm on a Friday night, I shut the door in his face mid spiel and 9am on a Sunday morning. He woke me up and I was confused and thought it was the Saturday posty and got up. Just as I got to the door he stuck a leaflet through the door. Nearly went after him! I now have a sign up and so far I haven't been bothered with silly o clock callers.

The best has to be when I was younger and my mum and dad were getting DG put in (it was pretty obvious what was going on) and another DG salesman decided to knock on our door and try to sell us more DG. My dad just laughed and shut the door in his face.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure