Please help me get rid of cold callers(i need a sticker) :(

Options

Comments

• Bowling_4_Gold
    Bowling_4_Gold Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    3 year old thread. Hmmm.... :S
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • lindos90
    lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I made a sign for our door, just said "no sales people, cold callers etc, thank you" and then had a 'hall of shame' list at the side which was titled "yes that DOES include:" and then added the name of each company who ignored the notice!

Was quite funny one day, had a couple of old ladies, think they were JWs, and they got very close to the door to read the notices and were standing there for several minutes deciding whether to knock or not!!! (they didnt!);)

It can be a pain, especially when they just hand you a blinking leaflet...ive got a letterbox for that for goodnes sakes!

Then there was the cleaver !!!!!!..I referred him to my notice, and said I didnt want door to door sales people and he replies "shut your door then and I'll speek to you through the window" !!!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    signs at the door dont work - they are told to ignore them!
    I once answered the door at my daughters house while holding her burmese python (5 foot long) and was highly amused to see the guy legging it down the drive as fast as he could!!! been trying to get OH to let me have a python ever since!!
  • jaz_2
    jaz_2 Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    I only answer the door if I know someone's coming round, otherwise it gets ignored.
  • xocbc
    xocbc Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    Answering the door in my pants with my hairy belly on display usually has the desired effect, works especially well on middle aged female god botherers... :)
    Dogs have owners...my cat has slaves...
  • davidlizard
    davidlizard Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a sign up, prominently displayed, stating I do not buy goods or services at the doorstep. This was largely ignored as door-to-door salesmen believed it did not apply to them.

I now have a set of 8 ft gates across my driveway which are shut. They have to ring a bell. I simply look to see who it is, and ignore them. The letter box is also there, so after collecting my post in the morning, I simply leave it open so all the junk mail (pizza menus, solar panel flyers) drops out of the bottom.

A friend of ours taped their letter box up as they were having their hallway floor leveled prior to having wooden floor laid. Someone from a chinese takeaway unpicked the tape across the letter box so they could post their rubbish.
  • cybergibbons
    cybergibbons Posts: 399 Forumite
    Options
    rustypenny wrote: »
    There should be a law against cold calling. Nothing worse than rushing down the stairs thinking theres been an accident or something to find a saleman wanting to talk about doubleglazing/utilities etc.

I know this is a very old thread, but what has set you so on edge that you assume a knock on the door is someone coming about an accident?
  • mr.savage
    mr.savage Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    I Have this:

No
    Hawkers, Traders, Canvassers,
    or Pervaders of Religious knowledge.

We do not buy or sell at the door.

We do not require new Double Glazing.

We are happy with our faith.

If we need something,
    We will make the call.

Please feel free to copy and paste the above into word and print it. :)
    Txt spkrs cn fk ff
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    mr.savage wrote: »
    I Have this:

No
    Hawkers, Traders, Canvassers,
    or Pervaders of Religious knowledge.

We do not buy or sell at the door.

We do not require new Double Glazing.

We are happy with our faith.

If we need something,
    We will make the call.

Please feel free to copy and paste the above into word and print it. :)
    Do however, expect loads of calls from the Department of Corrections, pointing out that you probably mean 'purveyors' rather than 'pervaders'
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • jimbms
    jimbms Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    Options
    Open the door and jump up and down clapping your hands shouting "oh goody a new friend, I've not had a special friend to play with in ages". The last one I did that to ripped all his trouser leg as he tripped running out the gateway.
    Approach her; adore her. Behold her; worship her. Caress her; indulge her. Kiss her; pleasure her. Kneel to her; lavish her. Assert to her; let her guide you. Obey her as you know how; Surrender is so wonderful! For Caroline my Goddess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure