Please help me get rid of cold callers(i need a sticker) :(

Options

Comments

• bloomsberg78
    Options
    Dave_C wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned you are just another cold caller invading my privacy.
    Don't try to pass the blame onto us householders, the blame lies firmly with the hordes of cold callers who know they are a nuisance but insist on ringing the door bell right next to a sign saying no cold callers.
    You just don't get it do you? We don't want to be disturbed, that is why the sign is there! Please respect our privacy.

Dave

I am at my wits end with this. It should be illegal for anyone to ignore a cold caller sign - Fullstop -

I don't understand why the new legislation only applies to energy companies. It should apply to anyone who ignores a "no cold callers" sign. Personally I'm never had the energy companies hassling me where I live now.

I started off with a smaller version of the MSE sign. But as it constantly got ignored, my signs got bigger and bigger in size and I added more and more exclusions/clarifications. Despite this, they always seem to think it doesn't apply to them.

The problem for me, is that I'm a homeworker, and spend a lot of time on conference calls, and I also get alot of mail (signed for) and parcels, so ignoring the door is not an option for me. It is a real pain when in the middle of a conference call I get a knock on the door. It puts me in a difficult position and have to make a judgement as to whether I drop/excuse myself or sneak off the call or ignore the door and risk getting a "sorry you were not at home" message from the mail company.

My latest tactic, is when I am working between 8am and 6pm, I now put out an additional A4 sign in big bold letters, (in addition to the MSE sign) explaining that I am a Home Worker, and not to disturb me for ANY reason. Its been up a day so far, so can't judge whether that has worked yet!!

I just feel completely helpless, I am not protected by law and the real menaces ignore the signs whatever they say and I end up in an argument on my own doorstep. The last guy I got at the door the other day, came across as quite aggressive when I pointed out the sign and asked him why he had ignored the sign. He stared at me giving "the evils". It was very uncomfortable and half expect a scratch on my car in the next few weeks!

I always call the companies up to explain my dissatisfaction and it is normally sympathetically received, but I suspect it goes in one ear and out of the other. I am convinced the policy of most of these companies is to ignore the signs.

Some of the excuses/reasons for ignoring the signs are:
    • I'm a local company, just doing a job up the road
    • I'm dyslexic
    • I'm not selling you anything, or offering free advice, I just want to give you this leaflet
    • We get most of our business from house with the "no cold caller signs" (honestly, he really did say this!)
    • I'm not selling anything, I'm here on behalf on x charity
    • I'm here to ask if you want free insulation, to save you money
    • I didn't see the sign
    • and on and on
    If there are households out there who have put the "no cold callers" signs up, and then do not challenge those who ignore the sign (or worse, actaully buy/sign up for something!), out of politeness or whatever, then this is making the lives of us who really don't want cold caller much harder, as it is giving the cold callers some justification to chance knocking on a door with signage.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Answer the door, tell them "I'm bankrupt, will that make a difference to your quote ?"
  • bloomsberg78
    bloomsberg78 Posts: 63 Forumite
    edited 29 February 2012 at 3:32PM
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    Answer the door, tell them "I'm bankrupt, will that make a difference to your quote ?"

The problem for me (working from home), is that fact that I am interrupted/disturbed in the first place. It's not witty remarks, putdowns or strategies for wasting their time that I need.......I need to get the message through somehow that I ain't going to buy off the doorstep and that I'm busy, so knocking on my door is only going to give you hassle and no business and completely waste your time (and mine!)
  • curlycat_2
    Options
    I've been hassled by Domestic & General cold callers recently. All told that we not interested, already have it.
    Now getting phone calls off them claiming we've asked for more info. Turns out the cold callers get your name off your neighbours (was told they'd claimed we'd agreed but they'd forgotten our name) and as we aren't ex-Directory, look up your number. Can admire them for their initiative, guessing they get paid per lead, but really p**d off with the ensuing calls.
  • Marie19x
    Marie19x Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 29 February 2012 at 4:18PM
    Options
    I cannot help but sympathise with everyone on here not wanting cold callers.

They're a pain in the freaking bum.
    We have 9 dogs living in our tiny, semi detached house that quite frankly bark at the sound of a pin drop. So when an unknown guy/woman comes knocking at the door "not wanting to sell me anything" to "hand me this informational leaflet on our fantastic double glazing deals" or to "inform me of how my £1 a week could really help somone right now and make me feel happy that i'm making someone else better off" (yeah i've had them all too) the dogs go completely barmy, they'll be jumping up at the door and it sounds like they're really trying to let this person know they aren't welcome. You can literally hear them down the street.

Now they are trained and will obey, but as a family pack (all brothers,sisters,mum and dad) they protect the pack, which includes us! Plus, we can't even open the door to the postman because they try to run out of the door and search for him.

Had one guy knock today, stood there a for the good 5 minutes (no joke!) it took me to move all 9 dogs into another room, scratches all over my arms from them jumping all over me, my hair a mess and all red faced....for him to go "oh sorry i've just noticed" and pointed to the no cold callers sign... idiot.
    got to see the funny side sometimes but....Grrrr!

If i'm not answering the door to these people, filling up the numerous amounts of charity bags we have weekly through our letterbox or left at our door, or answering calls from "jessica" calling me all the way from India or somewhere (and i dont mean to be horrible as they're only doing their job but... really?)to ask me about my computer or to help me with the credit card debt i don't have as i don't own one, i like to spend my time actually living!
  • CallaLily
    CallaLily Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    I have a sign on the door stating no cold callers, i will not buy from you, etc but some still knock anyway.
    When they state "I have read the sign but" I just say "oh good, goodbye" and shut the door, it's not being rude as they have already stated that they are more than happy to disregard anything they dislike.
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd like someone to come and quote me for a new door though...

/me runs and hides...
  • Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could have these guys ring you.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    donna wrote: »
    Hi,

for the 3rd time in the last month we have just had the EYG double glazing firm around. Every time they come we tell them we won't be in a position to buy DG for at least the nex couple of years.
    Way too polite OP. Plus you have held open the chink of possibility. Tell them NO. NOT EVER! Failing that, open the door wearing a balaclava and goggles and waving a fish slice and ask them if they have seen your teeth. Works every time... :rotfl:
  • WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2012 at 9:52PM
    Options
    Here is the law ...

"There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc”. Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.

You may therefore withdraw that permission by writing to EYG and telling them so. If they or their agents then step onto your property, they do so as trespassers.

They may also be considered to be harassing you.
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure