NowTV box

Comments

• sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    I was interested in getting one of these basically just to get basic (freeview) channels on a TV where getting an aerial feed too would be difficult as this box gets everything over your wifi...

But from the terms on the Now site it sounds like if you don't keep some sort of subscription going they block you getting anything on it at all?

The 1st post on this thread suggests that may not be the case?

(I don't want any subscriptions already paying for a Sky box account)
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    You can still use the box to receive BBC iPlayer, 5 On Demand, and some other channels for free. You have to pay a subscription to access the movies from Sky, plus another subscription for the 10-channels.

Although am I right in thinking you can't install Netflix onto the Now-TV branded box?
  • To the person who installed Plex media player, you can only install one app at a time so if you want something else on, you have to remove Plex first.
  • Froggitt wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pupil View Post
    Hi, I hope someone who owns a NowTV Box can answer my question.

I was thinking this might be a good idea for a Xmas present for my Dad. He spends a fortune on a Sky subscription just for the occasional football match so this might serve him better and save him money. Problem is my Dad is utterly computer illiterate (I don't think he's ever used the internet) so the NowTV Box will only be good for him if it can be used as a completely standalone device.

So I was thinking, if I could set up his Sky ID and account and everything for him to set it going, can this device be used from then on without my Dad having to use the internet? Basically, can he purchase the occasional Sports one-day-pass through the NowTV Box itself? Is this what the "purchase PIN" allows. If he has to purchase the passes via the internet then this is no good for him. My Mum is the only one who uses the internet at their house but I want something that my Dad can use on his own without my Mum (or me) having to purchase passes online every time he wants to watch the football.

Thanks

Get him a few packs of Carling each with the free one day Sky Sports passes on them :hic:

Ha, yeah, I noticed that offer. I think he'd like that ;)

Anyone with a NowTV Box who can answer my original question?
  • chopps
    chopps Posts: 142 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2013 at 7:16PM
    The Now tv box is extremely easy to use once you have it set up as it has a simple user interface screen and remote. It's become a whole lot better today as they've just added Channel 4OD to accompany BBC iPlayer and Channel 5 catch-up to watch the previous month's programmes.
    All these are 'free' with no ongoing subscription.
    You can also view your own and friends Facebook photos & videos on your TV screen , Sky News streaming or Video clips and a lot of other free stuff and less well-known TV / radio channels.
    You only have to pay extra per month to watch the optional SKY movies and entertainment channels but will also need an unlimited broadband connection using a Wi-Fi router.
    There is an optional cable available to connect to an older TV with scart / audio video input sockets if you don't have a newer TV with HDMI connectors.
    If you are not watching live TV through it and no other live TV or box is being used for live TV recording then a TV licence will not be needed either.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Can you watch live TV thought it? what channels can you get live?

I have a now redundant tv upstairs as no wall aerial socket and I can't get freeview with a set top aerial . If could buy this box for £10 and use it to watch tv upstairs it would be worth it.

thanks
  • chopps
    chopps Posts: 142 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2013 at 7:37PM
    Can you watch live TV thought it? what channels can you get live?

I have a now redundant tv upstairs as no wall aerial socket and I can't get freeview with a set top aerial . If could buy this box for £10 and use it to watch tv upstairs it would be worth it.

thanks

For free you could watch SKY news and all the catch - up content which takes an hour or so to become available after live transmission times.
    If you pay for the SKY Entertainment subscription which is on offer at £4.95 pm the following channels are on demand :
    SKY1,Living,Atlantic and Sky Arts along with GOLD,Fox,Comedy Central,Discovery,Disney Channel and MTV.

Make sure your Broadband internet is unlimited though as TV streaming will eat it up !!
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    chopps wrote: »
    For free you could watch SKY news and all the catch - up content which takes an hour or so to become available after live transmission times.
    If you pay for the SKY Entertainment subscription which is on offer at £4.95 pm the following channels are on demand :
    SKY1,Living,Atlantic and Sky Arts along with GOLD,Fox,Comedy Central,Discovery,Disney Channel and MTV.

Make sure your Broadband internet is unlimited though as TV streaming will eat it up !!

Thanks, it might still be worth it for just the catch up services, at least I will be able to use the tv again, I wouldn't pay a monthy charge for an upstairs tv. I do have unlimited broadband :)
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    chopps wrote: »
    The Now tv box is extremely easy to use once you have it set up as it has a simple user interface screen and remote. It's become a whole lot better today as they've just added Channel 4OD to accompany BBC iPlayer and Channel 5 catch-up to watch the previous month's programmes.
    All these are 'free' with no ongoing subscription.
    You can also view your own and friends Facebook photos & videos on your TV screen , Sky News streaming or Video clips and a lot of other free stuff and less well-known TV / radio channels.
    You only have to pay extra per month to watch the optional SKY movies and entertainment channels but will also need an unlimited broadband connection using a Wi-Fi router.
    There is an optional cable available to connect to an older TV with scart / audio video input sockets if you don't have a newer TV with HDMI connectors.
    If you are not watching live TV through it and no other live TV or box is being used for live TV recording then a TV licence will not be needed either.

Has 4oD become available on the standard Roku as well?

All that is needed now is ITV Player to arrive.
  • pen1
    pen1 Posts: 369 Forumite
    Yes- I added 4oD from the Roku Channel Store on a Roku LT earlier today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure