• VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Flippin eck... Football and beer! lol

:beer:
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Is there any offers on that entertainment pass

Or is there a list of what serieses are available to catch-up on (would love to see some of the Discovery channel serieses available [wheeler dealers or mythbusters])?
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    I think theres an Aliens and UFOs channel.....
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Kite2010
    Options
    Froggitt wrote: »

If the Now TV box has the same access to the channels on roku than there probably is.

Quite a lot of 'rubbish' sounding american channels.
  • 2bFrank
    2bFrank Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cannot tell you what a bargain the nowtv box is. Its a Roku LT stripped down and added the nowTV branding. On its own the box is pretty crap, however you can quite easily side load quite a few applications onto the device. Try searching using the search term 'plex media server nowtv', once you install plex, you now have a Media Streamer for £10, an absolute bargain..

Got it working last night, easy as peas. Looking for applications to install if anyone has any ideas. Also looking for a reliable way to prevent the automatic updates.
  • pen1
    pen1 Posts: 369 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2013 at 5:11PM
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    If the Now TV box has the same access to the channels on roku than there probably is.

Quite a lot of 'rubbish' sounding american channels.

The Now TV box has far fewer of the Roku channels in the "Channel Store"-less than 10% by my estimation- albeit, that many are very minority interest; and the Roku box also allows you to search for "Private Channels" (channels that don't appear in the "Channel Store" but which can be added to the box via the internet/via a Roku account).

Both are decent value, in my view-you'd really have to be pretty demanding to want more for £10 than the Now TV box.

However, if the budget can stretch to around £50- £60 (I picked up a Roku LT for £35 a few months ago) then a genuine Roku has a good bit more fun to it, in my opinion.
  • pen1
    pen1 Posts: 369 Forumite
    Options
    Froggitt wrote: »
    I just checked and it is indeed on the Now TV box (requires online activation).
    Details of the channel are at http://ufos.channel4roku.com/
  • pupil_2
    Options
    Hi, I hope someone who owns a NowTV Box can answer my question.

I was thinking this might be a good idea for a Xmas present for my Dad. He spends a fortune on a Sky subscription just for the occasional football match so this might serve him better and save him money. Problem is my Dad is utterly computer illiterate (I don't think he's ever used the internet) so the NowTV Box will only be good for him if it can be used as a completely standalone device.

So I was thinking, if I could set up his Sky ID and account and everything for him to set it going, can this device be used from then on without my Dad having to use the internet? Basically, can he purchase the occasional Sports one-day-pass through the NowTV Box itself? Is this what the "purchase PIN" allows. If he has to purchase the passes via the internet then this is no good for him. My Mum is the only one who uses the internet at their house but I want something that my Dad can use on his own without my Mum (or me) having to purchase passes online every time he wants to watch the football.

Thanks
  • Kite2010
    Options
    2bFrank wrote: »
    I cannot tell you what a bargain the nowtv box is. Its a Roku LT stripped down and added the nowTV branding. On its own the box is pretty crap, however you can quite easily side load quite a few applications onto the device. Try searching using the search term 'plex media server nowtv', once you install plex, you now have a Media Streamer for £10, an absolute bargain..

Got it working last night, easy as peas. Looking for applications to install if anyone has any ideas. Also looking for a reliable way to prevent the automatic updates.

I already have a Roku XS (not the best wi-fi signal), I was wondering wherever to pay the £5 to get the now TV ents pack
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    pupil wrote: »
    Hi, I hope someone who owns a NowTV Box can answer my question.

I was thinking this might be a good idea for a Xmas present for my Dad. He spends a fortune on a Sky subscription just for the occasional football match so this might serve him better and save him money. Problem is my Dad is utterly computer illiterate (I don't think he's ever used the internet) so the NowTV Box will only be good for him if it can be used as a completely standalone device.

So I was thinking, if I could set up his Sky ID and account and everything for him to set it going, can this device be used from then on without my Dad having to use the internet? Basically, can he purchase the occasional Sports one-day-pass through the NowTV Box itself? Is this what the "purchase PIN" allows. If he has to purchase the passes via the internet then this is no good for him. My Mum is the only one who uses the internet at their house but I want something that my Dad can use on his own without my Mum (or me) having to purchase passes online every time he wants to watch the football.

Thanks

Get him a few packs of Carling each with the free one day Sky Sports passes on them :hic:
    illegitimi non carborundum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport