NowTV box

Options

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You create an account online and enter funds or a coupon code.
    You register your box with the account.
    You watch the things you're account has credit for.
    If your credit runs out then you can't watch those things anymore.
    There's (I think) 3 packages: Basic Sky, Sports, Movies.
    You pay in (I think) blocks of 1 or 3 months.
    If you want to stop paying, then just don't pay and you'll get to watch to the end of your current credit and it'll stop.
    Some of the boxes come with free credit which can make buying a new box cheaper than purchasing credit.
    Sometime there are credit giveaways, but I haven't seen one recently.
    I had the movies for a while, but once I'd watched the ones there it seemed ages before new ones appeared.
    I had two sports coupons and used one and then the other expired.
    You also get the free-to-air channels (for free).
    It requires an internet connection to run over.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Box plugs into your TV and connects to your internet. You pay them money and they allow your box to access their services. As simple as that.

It is this simple OP.

You choose what pass you want, you can get passes of various lengths.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Not strictly NOWTV the box also supports free services main channels as well as the subscription services.

handy if your TV does not have smart functions.

if you get the newer box you also have freeview.

We just look for coupons and use the service for a while over the winter then have a break over the summer when we are not in so much

I find 3 months movies enough to catch up with the releases, 6 months entertainment lets me catch up on the box sets.

Usually find those for max £20 each often with a box.

the £99 offer for a full year of both entertainment and movies is not bad if you don't want to mess about with subscription or vouchers
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What is the quality like for streaming with the box? We are currently getting rid of Sky TV and moving over although we do have Netflix (Middle package with HD).

I just worry as we live in a village with not the best mobile signals in the world so not the fastest internet but it hardly ever drops out with Sky broadband.

I like the £99 offer however we were thinking of buying a box with a 2 month pass to try it out

Lots of comments and reviews saying hard to cancel / they keep taking money I have read which is a little off-putting - Any experience of this? What is live chat like?

Thanks
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is the quality like for streaming with the box? We are currently getting rid of Sky TV and moving over although we do have Netflix (Middle package with HD).

I just worry as we live in a village with not the best mobile signals in the world so not the fastest internet but it hardly ever drops out with Sky broadband.

I like the £99 offer however we were thinking of buying a box with a 2 month pass to try it out

Lots of comments and reviews saying hard to cancel / they keep taking money I have read which is a little off-putting - Any experience of this? What is live chat like?

Thanks

What live chat?
    You cancel within your online account.
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have cancelled about ten times and never had a problem. You just click to cancel in your online account. I cancel right after activating, so I know I won't forget.

They ask you several times if you are sure. The way they phrase it, it sounds like you might forfeit what you have already paid for, but you won't. Just keep confirming that, yes really, you want to cancel. The process takes about 60 seconds.

I did once have a shock that it auto-renewed after I had cancelled, which annoyed me, although I had intended to renew anyway, so not much harm done. But then my daughter confessed that she had "accidentally" revoked the cancellation. As this takes several confirmations, it was not an accident. I have now activated a payment PIN on my account to prevent further such "accidents".
    koru
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 January 2018 at 12:40PM
    Options
    I have both Netflix and Now TV at the moment, and I find them much the same in viewing quality terms (43" TV). Netflix technically has higher resolution (1080p rather than 720p) but in most cases this is unnoticeable, and I prefer Now TV for less motion blur. There is an occasional sound glitch on the small Black Now TV box, which I understand is specific to that box.
    Broadband and Mobile are two completely different systems. If you have a good service on Sky BB, then it should be exactly the same with BT, Plusnet, EE, Now TV or Talktalk as they all use the same local infrastructure. I don't like the BB pricing approach of Now TV, though, as it reverts to quite a high "normal" price after the introductory period.
    I think they have missed out by not having a £99 + box bundle, but perhaps they have deliberately pitched it at existing and returning customers?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 1 January 2018 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Although the Now TV Ents package gives you access to Sky channels, I only use Now TV for box sets (and movies). The box sets are ad free, and you can see what is currently available at
    http://www.artesea.co.uk/nowtv/
  • gran3
    gran3 Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I cancel Sky and use Now TV, will I still get the free channels via my dish? Thanks for any advice.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options

Thanks

No problem cancelling on-line you can start/stop your subscription after applying a voucher.

if you cancel in the last month you seem to get at least a 1/2 price offer if you don't have any new vouchers/offers to work with.

Used the chat once to activate an expired voucher, very helpful and no problems till they became very keen on reactivating the cancelled subscriptions, I just let them do it to, cancelled on line the next day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure