My Debt Diary, the ramblings of JCD

in Debt free diaries
764 replies 31.4K views
Hi everyone.
I've been a long time lurker and only recently joined up, I guess, because I'm at the end of my rope. The debts I have aren't as impressive as some I've seen on the forums, but it is causing me some ammount of troubles.

Let me introduce myself firstly. I'm Joanne, I'm 25, unemployed (and seemingly unemployable) and living in my one bedroom rented housing association flat with my two beloved cats, Babes and Clio.

Things started going wrong back in '04 when my then fiancee took a job in France to better his career and being the supportive partner that I am, I encouraged him. During the stint away from home I was left to pay all the bills on my lonesome with my minimum wage job. During this time he and I split up and thats when it began to snowball.

With the onset of depression I lost my job and the bills which were already beginning to overwhelm me steadily grew and grew as I comfort-shopped and drank (ex alcoholic here) my worries away. Well, it helped me forget enough to have the energy to wake up in the morning. Things slowly got better as time passed and I began tackling my debts by finding another minimum wage job, working 50hrs pw and car booting with my mum where ever possible. But it seems whenever things are going 'O.K' something always throws a spanner in the works.

Going from working 50hrs pw to unemployment, to working part time but not qualifying for any benefit help, to being unemployed again, to grabbing my first managerial job.....to being sacked. I won't bore anyone with the tale of my sacking, but rest assured it was unfair and completely unexpected from a charity! I wasn't even given my final pay. *sigh*

Anyway, there's a bit about me. I'm all washed up, tired of having to fight my corner at every turn and tired of having to hold on tightly to anything good that ever happens. It only seems to be taken away from me.

Hmm, Im rambling, sorry.
I'll post up my debts as soon as I find them all.

I'm so worn out.
Joanne.
Debt free since 2014 - now saving for a mortgage deposit :heart2:
This time I'm on top of it! We live and learn :coffee:

Replies

• CrownCrown Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Hi Joanne, Welcome and thanks for sharing your story with us!

It doesnt matter the amount of debt your in the aim of this forum is debt elimination and as it sounds like thats your aim then your in the right place ;)

Look forward to seeing your SOA :)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
  • *zippy**zippy* Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Joanne :hello:

Welcome to dfw :T

It sounds like you have had a really tough time of it, I hope things start to get easier for you from now on. There's lots of support on here so its a great place to be.

Good luck on your debt free journey.
  • JCD_CapuletJCD_Capulet Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Thanks *zippy* and Crown :) Can I ask what SOA stands for? I'm a little baffled with the abreviations :/
  • CrownCrown Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Hi, take a look at the 1st time posters thread at the top of the forum
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
    1.4K Posts
    Thanks again Crown and Zippy, I'm still getting the hang of the forums layout. There's so much stuff to read! :D

thanks again
    1.4K Posts
    Here goes (please correct me if I've done this wrong)

Incommings:
    Job seekers allowance - £119 fortnightly. That was short and sweet.

Debts:
    Electricity - £279.45
    Gas - £118.40
    Rent Arrears - £455.00
    Council tax Arrears - £230
    Inland Revenue - (currently) £111.15

I also have debt from when I was 16/17 for a mobile phone bill. The debt was handed to a collections agency whos name I can't place, nor the ammount of the bebt :/

Fortnightly spending
    Virgin media - Home phone and broadband - £30 or there abouts
    Food - £20 aprox
    Cat food and litter - £15
    Rent repayment - £6
    Weekly travel card (to get to interviews ect) x2 - £23

Now that I've jotted this down, I'm petrified.
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    38.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi JCD
    Sorry things are so bad for you. Hope your cats are of some comfort to you, I know when I was able to have cats, they meant the world to me (thats why my name........).

Just had a quick look at your soa. The first thing that strikes me is how huge your internet access bill is. I'm guessing this is a lifeline to you, but...... its a big proportion of your money. How would you feel about using the library for internet access, since its free of charge?

The other thing is that your cat costs you a lot - I'm guessing its cat litter? Any way you can cut down on that? e.g. larger size bag so cheaper, cheaper version, do you use too much, do they *have* to have litter or can they go outside, that sort of thing.

Bits of online money without any money having to be spent - things like pigsback, daily clicks and surveys, it will take a while, and the money is comparatively little, but every little really does help.

Can't think of anything else at the mo (I'm a bit distracted cos I have to go out really soon) but I hope things can get bit better soon.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021..........
    October 2021: aiming for £5,000 new money for premium bonds or a car.
  • Penny2myNamePenny2myName Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Here goes (please correct me if I've done this wrong)

Incommings:
    Job seekers allowance - £119 fortnightly. That was short and sweet.

Debts:
    Electricity - £279.45 Works out more expensive for the life of debt but have you considered a token meter
    Gas - £118.40 Same as above
    Rent Arrears - £455.00 Call and make an arrangement, quite often they are willing to accept £5
    Council tax Arrears - £230 same as above
    Inland Revenue - (currently) £111.15

I also have debt from when I was 16/17 for a mobile phone bill. The debt was handed to a collections agency whos name I can't place, nor the ammount of the bebt :/

Fortnightly spending
    Virgin media - Home phone and broadband - £30 or there abouts
    Food - £20 aprox
    Cat food and litter - £15
    Rent repayment - £6
    Weekly travel card (to get to interviews ect) x2 - £23

Now that I've jotted this down, I'm petrified.

Having meters in isn't always the best solution, but when you are on 59.50 a week, it can sometiems be the only way to clear the debts. You have stuff like water and tv liecence missing.
    19th March 2007 LBM£5,969.63 1st January 2018 £5960.18, 1st January 2019 £11,032.00
    Student Loan £22244.00 From 2009-12
    Challenges: To learn to stop spending..
  • Penny2myNamePenny2myName Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    jsut noticed you have a rent repayment. sorry
    19th March 2007 LBM£5,969.63 1st January 2018 £5960.18, 1st January 2019 £11,032.00
    Student Loan £22244.00 From 2009-12
    Challenges: To learn to stop spending..
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals