Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two - Page 251

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
6K replies 551.7K views

Replies

• PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    In - aldililly shopping (£22)
    Out - hm pastry, chicken pie filling, whole bag of spuds, carrots, peas, tin of sweetcorn, couple of other bits.

Slowly slowly!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • danniedannie Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My progress in "using up" has been quite good since my last post. One idea has been using freezer stored homemade stock with vegetables like a mash/stir-fry. Next, adding to it anything "bland" and/or suitable.

With reference to more food being purchased, this has been influenced by health reasons and so acquiring "bargain" vegetables (10p each spring onions and a green pepper). Also, visiting a charity shop meant that I got some special offer UHT milk nearby. Lastly, someone offered to get some shopping for me from town that I hardly ever frequent. Just one purchase at reduced price acquired which is a regular diet item.
  • zafiro1984zafiro1984 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Unexpected stay in hospital over the last few days, good job I'd done a smallish shop recently and the fridge was well stocked as the DH just about knows how to make a cup of coffee.
    He tried really hard, unpacked the dishwasher but I've no idea where some of the things have been put, did some washing - whites and darks in together:) at least he tried and clothes were not that important.

Lunch from fridge and freezer:- eggs, mushrooms, bread, icecream and satsumas..
    Tea, lamb chops for DH, turkey wrapped in bacon for me on top of a stir fry. Got to think of something for afters, as low in sugar as possible, thinking about creme custard and using sweetners instead of sugar - could be a failure :(
  • GinmonsterGinmonster Forumite
    481 posts
    Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    A good using up day so far. Hm bread toasted with peanut butter for brekkie, hm carrot and lentil soup and a lone slice of pizza left over from Saturday's lunch and a ton of naan bread dough made and frozen to use up some OOD yoghurt.

I'm home alone for tea tonight as hubby is out for dinner with work and the boy gets fed at nursery so I shall probably do a stir fry as there are some tired looking greens in my fridge that need using up.

I'm starting to make headway on the cupboard full of tins and rarely have to swear as one falls on my toe now. :-)
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Unexpected stay in hospital over the last few days, good job I'd done a smallish shop recently and the fridge was well stocked as the DH just about knows how to make a cup of coffee.
    He tried really hard, unpacked the dishwasher but I've no idea where some of the things have been put, did some washing - whites and darks in together:) at least he tried and clothes were not that important.

Lunch from fridge and freezer:- eggs, mushrooms, bread, icecream and satsumas..
    Tea, lamb chops for DH, turkey wrapped in bacon for me on top of a stir fry. Got to think of something for afters, as low in sugar as possible, thinking about creme custard and using sweetners instead of sugar - could be a failure :(

Hope it was nothing too serious xx

In - nothing

Out - the rest of the tired-looking shrooms, two onions, a tub of soft cheese, a pack of sausages, the rest of yesterday's sweetcorn, last of the pizza from the hut.

A good day overall!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • edited 13 March 2017 at 8:57PM
    caronccaronc Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 March 2017 at 8:57PM
    Peri peri chicken thighs, roasted veg and a baked spud

Whoops wrong thread

In: nothing
    Out: piece of baguette, small piece of LO Christmas ham
    Use up: LO berries, end of a cucumber

• FranalamadingdongFranalamadingdong Forumite
    553 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hope you are ok now zafiro.

I did a big shop today, portioning the packets of meat into meal sizes for our home, before popping them into the freezer. We used up some waffles from the freezer, a tin of beans, HM shepherds pie from the freezer over the weekend. I never got the baking done. DS enjoying playing out and my siatic nerve giving me pain, so standing baking isn't really worth it. I will do it to use the bananas up soon though. Back pain means i can't lay the new floor, but i can go in my parents' hot tub! It was much better today after resting it yesterday, so i must do less for now!
  • edited 14 March 2017 at 10:37AM
    zafiro1984zafiro1984 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 14 March 2017 at 10:37AM
    Hope it was nothing too serious xx
    PG x

Very faint and dizzy but had the dose of my BP tablets changed last Wednesday. Saw emergency Dr who thought it was to do with tabs but also found a very loud heart murmur so sent me to the Emergency Assessment Unit' They had a few words to say about no one listening to my heart for over 3 yrs. I have to say the consultants were brilliant, no small chat just plain facts, they spoke mainly to my DH. More assessments soon.

This Thursday my DH has a pre-arranged appointment with my Dr in his own right. His name begins with Mr (as in surgeon) not Dr!!!!
  • K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thurs: In - approved food order .. Made a cockup as had afre delivery code and wanted to get more Waterwipes for DGD and some vegan Clif bars. Went back to look again and found them but code had expired. Mostly tinned stuff this time and a few treats.
    Peppers, mushrooms, spring onions

OUT : bread, avacado spread, bread rolls, lettuce, cucumber vbites ham, violife cheese slices, packed lunch bits, tea/coffee/sugar, milk, juice,lemon meringue pie filling, ingredients for pastry (mostly buckwheat flour as no plain), black beans, butter beans, tomatoes, cant remember what i made, chipotle sauce and last of tagliatelle (though this could have been yesterday)crisps and peanuts

Fri

IN : bread rolls, Doritos heatburst and YS boost bites from work and mushrooms (i think)

OUT : packed lunch bits, tea/sugar, spread, vbites ham , violife cheese, banana, blueberries, strawberries, onion, four vegan hotdogs, more rolls and half a tin of beans and some bread for Dd2, whilst i was on the late shift

Sat

IN : three one pint milks YS from work and YS ferrero rochers

OUT: half a pack of vbites sausages, bread, rolls, quorn sandwich meat, fruit and crisps, stand and stuff tortilla bowls, Easiyo sachets x 2 (out the cupboard and into the fridge), last of shallots, one red pepper, lettuce, jar of fajita paste, half bag vegan piece, half bag of vegetarian pieces, bar of chocolate, a few kahluas and coke,tube of pringles and dinky deckers (from AF), biscuits, tea/coffee/milk/sugar, juice, spread

Sun

IN free rolls from work, not on our system and company failed to collect

OUT ingredients for pancakes, packed lunch stuff, whatever DD had for dinner, pizza, rolls, violife cheese, vbites cheese and more crisps tea/coffee/milk/sugar, juice, spread, leftover couscous and leftover morroccan stew, packed lunch bits

Waste - donuts defrosted and then not eaten by DD2

Mon

IN : Nothing

OUT : packed lunch bits, tea/sugar/milk/juice, last of shredded wheat apple crumble, milk, bread, trek bar, half abag of meat free mince, tinned tomatoes, last of shallots, muhrooms, carrot, old cereal turned into crispy cakes .. so ingredients for that, alpro caramel and coconut collaborative pot

Today

IN Nothing

OUT bread rolls, belvita biscuits, vbites ham, volife cheese slices, crisps, tea/coffee/milk/sugar ...so far

Sorry for the long post ... Im ieither in work, with grandchild, got a cat on me, otherwise engaged or tablet dead :huh:
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan(absent) Feb-Nov £4,167.55/£4,120 2021 Jan £213.10/380, Feb 17.06/360
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    In : rather large meat order
    Out: piece of baguette, portion of white sauce
    Used up: end of a bag of salad leaves, salad dressing and small piece of ham