edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
5.5K replies 530.5K views

Replies

• tootallulahtootallulah Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Out: sausages, bacon, bread, meatballs.
    In: nothing.

This thread is good for me I am really checking what I have and I am not food shopping.
    Mortgage House £68,000 July 2019, Aug £67k, Sep £66k.
  • danniedannie Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since 22/2/17, £4.80 spent therefore for food in February so far = £62.70.
    Somebody offering to get some groceries for me, health concerns and also requiring a present for someone resulted in this expenditure. There have been a few factors stopping me going to the shops such as bad weather, health reasons and lack of bicycle transport (which is now mended!).

Another month nearly over, so will be assessing what still needs using up and then shopping accordingly, hopefully.
  • FranalamadingdongFranalamadingdong Forumite
    553 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Going to mum and dad's for dinner today, it means nothing much has been used up this weekend, but..... Mum's giving me a never used food vacuum packer with the bags. She said she thought it might be helpful for my freezing stuff (now I have a hang on rotation and things don't just go there to die) as they got it for when they ran the b&b, but they never used it. I'm a little excited!
  • kboss2010kboss2010 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Out: bolognese, frozen carrots/stir fry veg (into veg soup), bacon, mixed berries (into a smoothie), 1 portion of Moroccan shepherds pie (lunch)
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" :D ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there :p
    ~ Lifehouse
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Going to mum and dad's for dinner today, it means nothing much has been used up this weekend, but..... Mum's giving me a never used food vacuum packer with the bags. She said she thought it might be helpful for my freezing stuff (now I have a hang on rotation and things don't just go there to die) as they got it for when they ran the b&b, but they never used it. I'm a little excited!
    Vac packers are great. As well as freezing I use mine a lot for extending fridge life of meat, cheese etc. and also using to cook stuff ala "boil in the bag" - you'll have great fun with it.:)

• K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    JensFeet wrote: »
    Ooooh K9s - oreo thins - not tried them but I'm sure they helped to keep good old Aunt Flo 'happy'.
    Both my kids make those drink concoctions too! They make all sorts of (disgusting) blends which turn out all different muddy colours and look dreadful. When they discover their perfect mix they stick to it until one or all of the ingredients is no longer available and then begin all over again. Yuck. (Although - lol - when I was a kid I used to pour sugar into my glass of 'sugar free' cordial until it was about 2 inches deep in the glass!! Only when my mum and dad weren't watching obviously!) Oooooh when I was little I also used to have sugar about 1/2 inch thick on top of my breakfast cereal too. Gross when I look back (and no wonder I was so fat!)

The weather has been horrid! The wind and rain last night was so loud I was worried that the roof was struggling but all looks okay this morning. Have you read about Storm Doris which is meant to arrive here tomorrow? 80mph winds apparently. Roll on sunny Cyprus for me Friday!!

As for where we are in our town - according to google maps it's 1 mile from my house to the funny roundabout thingymejig - but I measured it today and it's 0.6 miles. I'm a slow walker lol. We are just near the well known shoe shop with an almost rural feel with fields around us yet really just set back from the main road. Our lovely deer was strolling around the garden this morning and let me get within 20 feet from him / her and posed for photos for me too. I was grinning ear to ear.

As for a recipe for my chilli jam - I made Nigella's chilli jam at Christmas and it was devine but there wasn't very much of it. So I sort of just added things to bulk it out and threw the bits in the pan and let it cook until the mix was almost set on a plate out of the freezer. I didn't measure anything but I used:
    3 red onions
    16 red chillis
    10 peeled tomatoes
    4 red peppers
    about 2 inches of tabasco sauce from the bottle
    about 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon of salt
    a good amount of dried chilli flakes
    1 bulb garlic
    1 inch of fresh peeled ginger
    1kg sugar (normal type)
    some balsamic vinegar
    some malt vinegar
    some lemon juice

I blitzed all of the veg, garlic and ginger in the food processor. Put it all in a heavy pan with the sugar, vinegars and other spices etc and just simmered it until I was happy with the consistency. It isn't a set jam (Nigella recipe uses pectin sugar but it's like 4 times the price!) but it's not runny either. It will spread well without falling off the item it's put onto. I haven't actually tried it yet but I did finger swipe the cooled spoon and it was lovely and spicy hot but sweet and tasty. There are 3 extremely full kilner jars sitting in the cupboard awaiting the return of my appetite... I do hope you're okay with 'recipe' and give it a shot or something similar!!

Off to google 'Instant Pot' as I've never heard of this x

Thanks for this Jensfeet. Oreo thins are meant to be less calories per biscuits, but not if you eat the whole box :eek:
    I am going to try your chilli jam recipe some time soon, but will be on the lookout for YS chillies; although only really want a potful.Thanks.
    I am not sure where in the town you live, especially with a deer visiting the garden, but do know the famous shoe shop. I'm in the opposite direction.
    Hope you have a good time in Cyprus. I was meant to live there at one point... Long story!!
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan (absent) Feb £340.16/£320 Mar £363.25/£350 Apr £272.62/£350 May £539.46/£350 Jun £439.60/350 Jul/£436.50 Aug/£387.83/400 £65.91/£400
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • edited 28 February 2017 at 12:28AM
    K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017 at 12:28AM
    Weds
    IN Sainsbury's shop for vegan and vegetarian bits. Milk, lettuce and dairy free butter from Morrisons; and sweet potato fries, conserve x 2, mandarins x 2, hazelnuts x 2 and shredded coconut from the Food club shop.
    OUT Last of Kellogs ancient legend cereal, two yoghurts, four rice cakes, dairy free grated cheddar, two finger rolls, two frys burger, two 1/4lbers, wraps, lettuce, sweet potato fries, onion, 1/4 of cucumber, small pack of chocolate oatcakes, some more of crispy cakes and angel cake.

Tried twice to type this now and lost the post both times with up to today on, so will try to update a day at a time every few hours or so before i hurl the tablet :mad:
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan (absent) Feb £340.16/£320 Mar £363.25/£350 Apr £272.62/£350 May £539.46/£350 Jun £439.60/350 Jul/£436.50 Aug/£387.83/400 £65.91/£400
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    In: 3 chicken thighs
    Out: 2 slices of black pudding
    Use up: small piece of chorizio, 1 slightly over ripe banana, 1 large courgette

• oldtractoroldtractor Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    OUT a bit of frozen veg
    IN lots of frozen veg from the supermarket
  • zafiro1984zafiro1984 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    OUT
    Bread
    4 turkey pieces wrapped in bacon
    portion of uncooked sponge for steamed pudding
    frozen berries

IN
    nothing

I need to make a menu plan for March, I hope to do as little food shopping as possible only using what is in store. However I'm sure, I will need milk, bread, fresh fruit and veg at some stage but I hope not until the middle of the month as I got quite a lot yesterday. I've started a diet whether that will help or not I'm not sure.