PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys

I recently reduced my freezer of old contents and I'm now starting to restock, took 3 months to do but I want to keep on top of it so I'm going to join in if you don't mind, means I'll constantly use the frozen food rather than just filling it!

With that in mind I have been shopping today so:

In - 4 bags steam fresh veg, 4 burgers, 10 fish fingers, 15 Yorkshire puds

Out - lamb shoulder joint, 1 burger, chips
  • dinx1972
    dinx1972 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello all, I too need to run down my freezers to build up a financial cushion, but always seems to lapse to freezer filling instead. I am determined to freezer cull in March as one of them desperately needs a defrost.

So today I did my first weekly meal plan in ages to include mains and puddings so that each night I can pull out the next days ingredients to defrost (this has always been my downfall).

IN to freezer went a bag of hash browns.

OUT a YS joint of pork loin for lunch tomorrow.

Good luck everyone.
    :j DEBT FREE FROM 01/01/11 :j
    Declutter 2012 - 191, 2013 - 26
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    IN:

Pasta sauce (which was sitting in the fridge and might not get used)
  • mrsscattercushion
    Options
    I need to do full inventory of cupboards and freezer as we've gone down to 1 salary and need to save money on food shopping/eating out.

OUT ~ 1 punnet of YS blueberries
    IN ~ 3 punnets of summer fruits, on offer for £1 in T£sco's frozen section.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, I've posted on another thread but it may be better here - I'm trying to not visit the supermarket this week and I'm currently cooking a whole chicken - can people still get 3 meals from a whole chicken these days? I'm looking for some ideas of what we can have bar a roast dinner - I'm hoping to get 3 meals but don't see how that possible without using tiny amounts of meat? Would love any ideas people may have as I'm doing my meal plan for this week and should have enough to do a week if I can make the chicken do 3 days - thanks
    Living the simple life
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    chicken curry,casserole ,sweet and sour chicken
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tink_04 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently cooking a whole chicken - can people still get 3 meals from a whole chicken these days? I'm looking for some ideas of what we can have bar a roast dinner

You could use the legs for a meal, use some of the breast in tortilla wraps, and there should be wings plus pickings, stirfry with beansprouts and noodles, which are extremely cheap.

Nothing out/in here as I went to parents for Sunday roast.
  • uncreative
    uncreative Posts: 384 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We have just done an audit of our cupboards, and have cleared out the lot onto the kitchen table.

We have one of those slide out larder units and have managed to rearrange and fill it with at least 2 weeks of meals. Result!

Rice, Pasta, plenty of tinned tomatoes for sauces, pizza bases, flour to make the actual bases, couscous packets, super noodles, beans, stirfry noodles, tins of anchovies, packets of tuna for lunches.

Cant believe it that we are going to challenge ourselves to work off a budget of £20 a week for the next 2 weeks to get just veggies, fruit and a supermarket cooked chicken on Sunday.

On to the freezer now!
    Total Credit Used...=........£9,000 / £52,700
    Mortgage..............=........£138,000 , 20 Years left.
    :starmod:CC cashback for this year..=........£112.88 £205.81 banked in 2015
    :starmod:YNAB User & Mortgage Free Wannabe
    :starmod::A19/03/16
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OUT

Chilli non carne
    Some rice
    A wrap

Some potatoes
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Im going to be eating Kangaroo Meatballs (!!!) which are actually very nice and very low calorie, out of the freezer - nothing going in, but its still crammed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback