PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• moxter
    moxter Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I must show my wife this thread. She is dreadful at using up stuff in freezer/storecupboards; I moan a lot but actually am no better than her, I'm just all talk!

We have jar after jar of things like chana dal, haricot beans and bulgur which needs to be eaten, not to mention all sorts of bits of meat in the freezer, but because they're big stewing joints they feel like effort and get ignored...

All sorts of exotic packs of noodles bought in a fit of enthusiasm from Wing Yip sit there unloved and uneaten as well. Must galvanise ourselves at some point.

Great thread!
  • ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Options
    Moxter that made me laugh about the noodles! I do the same except from loon fung.

Older, yes the butter is very smilar to a jam, but I make mine in the slow cooker :)

I attempted to start a juice clense today, but went to my grandmas and she didn't quite get I was on juices all day, so kind of insisted I eat dinner! going to attempt the cleanse tomorrow, I feel so bloated, plus im not going anywhere, so no one to convince me to do otherwise!
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    Evening all, realise I have been a bit lax with posting but still a bit short of time, so here is a quick snap of dinner tonight which is brisket with potato wedges and veggies, yum :) And enough left for tomorrow too

[IMG][/img]IMG_0699_zpse72474b5.jpg

Hope you're all well
  • ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Options
    That looks yum Older, did you make the brisket?

Well ive had a juice for the day, for dinner I had some cooked rice to use up, so diced up some chicken, used up some spring green leaves as it was getting to the throw out stage, diced 2 carrots, added half a tin of corn, some seasoning and soy sauce and had me some chicken fried rice, was lovely, and I also made some juices for the next few days, using up some on the turn fruit, so my veg drawer is now primed for £10 worth of free f&v from the sun paper that i'll get tomorrow.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    ^ ^ ^ I cooked the brisket MsNR, but cheated with the sauce as it was in a tiny little bottle that I bought from TKMaxx, of all places, when I first got the slow cooker. The potatoes & veggies were from frozen (I have an ice-box in the fridge that will store two bags of stuff). Just don't feel in the mood to cook at the moment.

Having an 'eat everything in the fridge before I go away for the weekend' day today, which is no hardship as the salad is still reasonably fresh and dinner tonight will be a repeat of yesterday. Cupboards and fridge should be bare again by that point.

MsNR, sounds like you're being creative with your food. Your fried rice sounds delish!
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 August 2014 at 7:28AM
    Options
    I read this thread daily and really think it is time I joined you all. I have two freezers (an upright and a chest one) that are crammed to capacity and store cupboards so well stocked that my DD refers to them as my Sainsbury's cupboards! If she is short of anything she knows I will have it!

And yet I still go weekly to Aldi and Sainsbury's buying anything that appears a bargain! There is just my DH and myself though we do have three DGDs to sleep, feed and look after regularly. But I am determined the time is right now for me to start using up my stockpile and accept there is not going to be a siege!

So lunchtime it will be 2 tubs HM soup from the freezer, accompanied by wraps with ham and salad. (wraps and ham also FF). Dinner tonight will be liver and onions for DH and fish for me, also FF. To follow, Blackberry & Apple crumble using fruit foraged and frozen end of last summer.

Today is going to be the first day of my Eating from the Freezer and Cupboards challenge and thanks all for your inspiration!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Welsh_Poppy Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    No notifications so forgot to post.
    Been using up what is in freezer and not added anything as yet to it.
    I also have not frozen what i grow in garden eating it as and when or giving it away.My fruit doing better than veggies this year.
    Still waiting for my first courgette.
    Out
    Chicken breast
    IN
    Nothing
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 August 2014 at 8:14AM
    Options
    Stuck to my intentions yesterday and ate from freezer. Just taken out a pack of lean beef mince and, when defrosted, I will use it to make a batch of Bolognese. (Adding the Heinz Tomato Frito I got in B & M for 10p!!) This will be divided into individual portions and put back in the freezer.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ms_night_ryder
    Options
    Welcome newbies.

Older hope your enjoying your weekend.

Using up the last 2 potatoes with some wings I bought yesterday, as I really fancied them, also relly fancied a ham and cheese sandwich yesterday, so had that for dinner, bought a small block of cheese, ducy it was reduced and 4 slices of ham and a loaf of bread.
    The rest of the bread has now gone in the freezer bagged up in 2's, I will also grate the rest of the cheese and put that in the freezer.

Not doing too well with everything else though lol.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
  • ms_night_ryder
    Options
    Taken out the last pack of chicken fillets, need to stock up on meat now, only have some mince left.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport