PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All, I am back for an August eat through the freezer month. Today out: strawberry compote, fish, bacon, cheese. I do need to stop shopping so I have room to freeze the tomato glut, the first toms are going to be ripe this week-end the rush will start next week!
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    Evening all :)

I'm a bit ashamed of myself today as I haven't been shopping and have almost no food in the house. The few bits that I had left I just ate for supper: a tin of butter beans with tomatoes, onions, radish, cucumber, sweet peppers and beetroot. It tasted of nothing other than salad dressing and looked as unappetising as it tasted :o

Cupboards/fridge are now well and truly bare so its shop or starve tomorrow as takeaways have to be a rare treat in view of my budget and ever-expanding waistline.
  • ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Options
    Loool older, that's a really odd combo!

I had bulgar wheat, with reduced veg, spring greens, carrots and some sweet corn, ive called it jewelled bulghar lol. with chicken fillets from the freezer.

I was going to take part in the morrisons meat offer, but remembered when I bought some chicken wings a few months ago they were well in date, but they smelt, so I decided to forgoe the cheap meat.

Hope your all well.

I also had quite a nice ys shop in mr w today, 800g box of cherries 1.29 I love cherries but refuse to buy as they are expensive original price was £6! 2 packs of plums, after multi buy were 40p, 2 mangoes, after multi buy they paid me £1+ to take it away, some organic carrots. all for very little money.

I also bought a punnet of plums yesterday for 24p, so since I now have 3 punnets, I will make a plum butter in the slow cooker, I have been reading it lasts for 1 month in fridge of 6 in freezer, I think I will start back on my porridge and use this with it, I don't get paid for a few weeks, so need to calm down on frivolous spends lol.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Can I join back in for August?
    After the fr veg voucher and reduced mats vouchers for Morries I am full to bursting and want to get through August spending as little as possible.

Today we will be using some peppered beef steaks up with mushrooms and chips.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Kirri, I tried another Vivani chocolate bar last week: white chocolate with mango and coconut. It was without question the strangest flavour of chocolate I've ever tried (and I've tried a few, including tobacco and marmite flavours). Really couldn't say if I liked it or not, was too sidetracked by the strangeness of it!

I might give that flavour a miss then! Though normally I can eat any choc.. Not been able to get any more Vivani choc as not been near a stockist :( Been eating more Vego bars though (but think they have 900 calories in??!! I eat them over a few days..). I also had some Cocoa Loco choc buttons with my A&C order yesterday, a small treat :o
    The few bits that I had left I just ate for supper: a tin of butter beans with tomatoes, onions, radish, cucumber, sweet peppers and beetroot. It tasted of nothing other than salad dressing and looked as unappetising as it tasted :o

^ Rofl, sounds like some things I've cooked up when desperate.

Good to see some old faces back on here :D

I've not updated in a while, mostly because I wasn't bothering to cook... but decided to have a clear out today to tidy the kitchen. Will prob not start cooking properly till autumn - though I did do a batch of patatas bravas yesterday to use a load of potatoes I dug up. Had it with a courgette/haloumi sarnie.

Bran (2011) - going to allotment to protect plants from slugs.
    Cornflour (date unknown but old) & polenta (2013 but disgusting stuff) - gone in bin - I did try...
    Red skin peanuts (date unknown but old), pumpkin seeds in shells (not that old but I can't shell them without breaking nails..) and brown linseed (just don't like it, bought more of the golden and am using that instead) - all going to allotment to see if the wildlife eat it. Nice few empty jars now & space!

Barely anything out of date now - will keep the OOD quinoa, pearl barley and gram flour as am still using all this up slowly. Some spices are old but will use while still smell ok.

Rest of the cupboard stuff is mostly newly replaced and used regularly now :D Got a lot less in stock than I did although still have quite a large variety of store cupboard items in the way of dried wholefoods, spices and baking stuff.

Freezer usage - finished off the bought peas/sweetcorn - used it in pasta.

As am only really eating fresh off the allotment, the veg box, or trips to WF's... I am going to probably bin most of the rest of the freezer veg contents when I get round to it, not much left now, just some home grown stuff I froze a couple of years ago then didn't fancy so no loss money wise - it's all past its frozen best now... will tackle that another weekend though.. I may use a few of the better bits up on a pizza tonight.

I'm not freezing stuff now from the plot and haven't done this year. Only few things going in to save it going off before I can use it - odd bit of bread, cheese or tofu and I try and use it before buying anything else.
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All, nice to see some familiar faces. Out: sausage casserole, 2 X ice lollies, pasta, 2 x pints of milk. In: leg of lamb...........half price in the Waitrose reductions fridge.
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    Evening all :)

I've restocked the fridge with salad and got a few tins of tuna/sardines so will be OK again for a few days, but then need to think about how to stock up properly so that I have things to make meals with. I'm happy to stick with salads for a while though, mostly because the kitchen is still a mess and also because I have a wedding reception to attend next weekend and my frock is a little on the snug side. BUT, Sod's Law has kicked in, and my product testing lot have sent me some chocolate to review. Quite a lot of it actually. I shouldn't complain as I usually get horrible stuff like weird coloured margarine or cereal that you could break a tooth on!

Kirri you sound like you've been busy. Such a pleasure to see some space again isn't it and everything is approximately in date! It sounds like your allotment has been a real moneysaver although I don't envy you all the work that goes into allotments. Are you able to sell or swap excess crops with other allotment holders?

So Worried I know what you mean about the vouchers. I used one of the veggie ones but I don't eat enough meat to make the new one worthwhile. It was great to be able to use the veggie one for some exotic fruit though as I don't normally buy it (too expensive)
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep ^ I'm trying to feed myself solely from the plot veg wise in the summe so does save me money - even if it's a little repetitive lol. I do buy salad for the pets though so do share it.. and still buying a LOT of fruit. There is a shop selling local produce that will swap home grown stuff for credits I could use. I used to give the spare away to people but found in general everyone was too fussy and wanted only certain things or expected them clean like supermarket stuff... so I just thought stuff it I won't bother at all and excess now just goes on the compost mostly!

I did a pizza base in the bread maker today - added frozen HG chilli, frozen HG courgette (not that great, I should have gone and picked a fresh one..) as well as the last portion of haloumi, some dried HG herbs (dried last summer), HG onion and veg box tomatoes - was very nice! Got a portion left to eat cold tomorrow.
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    Really wish I lived near you Kirri, I'd be chuffed to find someone who could sell me genuinely homegrown fresh veggies. Now you've put the idea of a haloumi sandwich in my head, I want one too so I'll add haloumi to the shopping list

Ms NR, I have exciting porridge news: Had my chocolate porridge as usual this morning but the frozen berries were looking a bit yuk so on a search through the cupboard it occurred to me to try a dessert spoon of cashew nut butter stirred through instead. Well, what a revelation, it is totally delicious (not unlike eating a slightly less sweet Snickers bar). I'm hooked!:rotfl:
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    IN - Nothing

OUT - HM Chicken & Leek Pie Filling, sliced Roasted beef

Back early from weekend away so grabbed some HM Nigel Slater's Pie filling out the freezer that has been lurking far too long and will top it with cheesy mash. (last little bit of cheese that needs using).

Cupboards have now been inventoried but the freezer needs doing as do the cupboards upstairs. Food hidden everywhere here!

£11.94/£80 (£68.06 remaining)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure