PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    Evening all :)

Haven't been posting as I haven't really been eating out of my cupboards/freezer because the cupboards are empty and I don't have a freezer. Really need to stock up again rather than buying food daily as it is too expensive but too many other things on the go to worry about it at the moment.

Kirri, if you're still reading this thread, I've come across a new (to me) vegan and organic chocolate brand called Seed and Bean. Got the Lime & Chilli flavour to try today, having enjoyed the Montezuma version of it, and aaarrrgh! It was absolutely horrible! So bad in fact that I ended up throwing it away which is unheard of for me. Woe!
  • ms_night_ryder
    Options
    Lol Older you both love your chocolate, I love the comparisons you give, may try some.

Well yesterday in went a smoked gammon, today in went some leftover mince from Friday and 6 pork shoulder steaks, in 2 separate bags, 3 in each. All into the freezer.

I also roasted a whole chicken which was lovely, will make a stock out of the bones to freeze as it goes well in risotto or bulgar wheat, tomorrow will have the rest of the rice and beans with chicken for dinner.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    The start of my second week on the challenge. Yesterday, as there was actually a little bit of room in the freezers after eating from them for a week, I tried to organise the contents better and take stock of what was in there. Of course there were the odd ys items bought because "they were a bargain" and then shoved to the back out of sight but they are now at the front and am determined they will get eaten! Left out some Sains ys lean casserole steak and left that cooking in the slow cooker overnight with some chopped up veg. It smells delicious this morning and will be frozen into portions when cool. I'll leave some out to have with yesterday's leftover mash and veg for dinner tonight.

The cupboards are not getting neglected either, they got a good sort out yesterday and lots of items in there for a quick lunch. But I am down to my last 2 tins of chopped tomatoes so must buy more of those. One tin of cherry tomatoes left from the days when Home Bargains sold them 3 tins for £1 and I am hanging on to them for dear life!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    Evening all :)

Sorry to have gone AWOL again, lots going on and I'm afraid my housekeeping/shopping has gone to pot so I've been eating out a lot. Until this morning the cupboards were pretty much bare but I've restocked now and had a delicious prawn salad for supper tonight (trying to counteract the damage done by having BIIIIIIGGGG brunch yesterday AND afternoon tea with cream/jam scones, sandwich, cake and homemade lemonade :D)

So, here's what supper looked like:
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0725_zpsf4b063d0.jpg

Got lots of lovely berries to add to my morning porridge and it's nearly time to start thinking of slow cooked autumn stews. Yum. Really love this time of year.

Are you all still munching your way through your bounty of goodies in your freezers? Jealous? Me? Nooooooo! (OK, totally jealous!)
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 August 2014 at 9:06PM
    Options
    Going to join in this :D I am moving out hopefully on 15th (due to relationship breakup) so am trying hard to reduce spends on food this month and use up the plentiful larder/hoarse of food in freezer & cupboards.

Out of cupboards is half tin coconut milk (OOD), nasi goreng kit (OOD), half tom chick peas (used half earlier in week), frozen peppers and sweet corn. Oh and a Mal-teSer bar ��

Into the freezer is the remaining 1/3 pack of chick breasts from morrisons offer last weekend :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Kirri, if you're still reading this thread, I've come across a new (to me) vegan and organic chocolate brand called Seed and Bean. Got the Lime & Chilli flavour to try today, having enjoyed the Montezuma version of it, and aaarrrgh! It was absolutely horrible! So bad in fact that I ended up throwing it away which is unheard of for me. Woe!

Hello, just checking in, been working long hours with a complete cow all week, so relieved it's Friday!

I've heard of Seed and Bean, not tried them yet, don't think I've seen them in any shops I go in, I'd like to try though. Rofl, noo, how can you throw choc! I've been buying G&Blacks mini packs all week to get me through work but I've been eating all the milk ones and saving all the dark chocs which are piling up in the fridge..

Shopping/cooking went awol, been too tired and stressed to bother much, had toast tonight, was just relieved to get home. Need to eat healthily this weekend..
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Evening all! Now almost at the end of my second week of the challenge and it's still going well! I can now find what I am looking for in the freezers and the cupboards are so tidy it's unbelievable!

All meals this week have been from freezer and store cupboard ingredients, with the addition of veg and salad stuff bought last weekend. Feeling quite proud of myself!

Went shopping yesterday and stuck to my intentions of not buying anything other than fruit, veg and dairy till my stocks go down a bit! I shall be AWOL from Sunday morning (off to our caravan for a week) so tomorrow I am making an assortment of meals to take with us to warm up (I don't go away to cook!) So have left lean braising steak, lean mince and chicken defrosting to make casseroles, pies, etc tomorrow to take with us. Will also take an assortment of frozen items (fish, pasta sauces, etc) with us for quick meals. Plus I have a store cupboard there too! (I think I must have an inbuilt fear of starving!!)
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    Hi all,

Looks as if you're all doing v well with eating through your current supplies, and good on you TravellingAbuella, looks like you've got it sussed!. And think of the fun you'll have restocking once it's all gone....

I'm going to focus on shopping properly so that I don't end up eating out and I managed it today. Breakfast was porridge flavoured with instant hot chocolate and berries:
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0727_zpsba2ba40b.jpg

Lunch was a tuna salad:
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0731_zps634c9012.jpg

and supper was a ready made pasta thingy from M&S but delicious and exactly what I fancied:
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0734_zpsf983b375.jpg

Might have a snack later if I get peckish.

Kirri I'm sorry you're having such a rubbish time with work. Go get yourself a nice treat to make up for it (but not Bean & Seed chocolate, blurgghhh!)

MsNR, you still out there cooking up fabulous things to make me jealous? I'll be looking to you for some slow cooker recipes v soon so hope you won't mind sharing the easiest ones with you. I did try a few earlier this year but didn't do very well with them :(
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Older, I feel guilty looking at your lovely healthy meals! Is like a health farm at yours!

TA - very organised to take meals on hol!

I did improve today meal wise - haloumi & HG courgette pitta sarnie with HG potato wedges. Pitta was from the freezer.

Lucky was only a short term role, I've just about calmed down now... Need to max out my allotment veg in meals and stop eating quick stuff when I'm knackered though. I've got a kitchen full of courgettes, cucumbers, purple beans & potatoes to use and picked more today.. Also picked rainbow radishes, mange tout and ate a couple of raspberries off the bush while I was there.. Pak choi and fennel was just about ready for picking but I'll get that next time.
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 August 2014 at 8:26PM
    Options
    Today lunch was sweet potatoe and sage gnocchi from freezer and supper was leftover roast beef in gravy, with sweet corn, bacon lardons, red onion and courgettes accompanied by new potatoes in boulangerie potato style dish.

Went to the supermarket this morning and only bought some fresh veg, fruit, milk and yogurt. Very pleased! Gotta keep this up

Kirri- pitta with halloumi and courgette sounds lovely

Edited to add: also whipped up an individual peach (tinned) almond crumble using all store cupboard stuff as was feeling peckish :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback