How to persuade a child to take a blood test

Options

Comments

• victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    itsanne wrote: »
    That suggests you think he's scared of the blood test despite him saying he's not. If he is scared, that's probably relatively easily dealt with. The practice will be used to dealing with nervous patients.

No, never implied or suggested DS is scared of the blood test, no that is incorrect:D
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    At 13, he's allowed to say no?! (Hides this thread from offspring.)
    Time for blackmail, bribery and good old Mother Cunning then.

Getting a straight answer to "why not?" would make the whole palaver simpler. If interrog, I mean questioning, hasn't worked, onto bribery. So what he's 13?

My lot are army mad & patches with your blood type are standard uniform kit. Bribe with a surplus jacket with four patches of his choice, plus the blood type? (Tip off the medic as to the bribe so the type test is also done?!)

Anyone in the waiting room (ideally younger than him) who is prepared to pipe up "blood test? Oh, OK." in exchange for a bribe agreed with their parent? Just lowering the potential perceived invasive hazard & opening the door to realisation that little child wasn't fussed, so...

Ease up on the nudging for a week while you line up exemplar/ lay foundation for bribery?

Sometimes even teens are so scared that a parent is welcome. (Shocking idea.)

All the very best!
  • victory
    Options
    herand wrote: »
    A 13 year old shouldn't be bribed or baby'ed any more for goodness sake.

A parent declaring that the child is scared is just going to increase anxiety. The kid has a blood test, it's hardly an ordeal. Just drop them off at the doctors and wait outside.

There comes a time when you have to let teenagers learn to deal with such things themselves.

Diplomacy your forteai?(sp):rotfl:
  • victory
    Options

These can be huge decisions with impact over the entire future, beyond the mere draw of a bit of blood.

True................
  • victory
    Options
    At 13, he's allowed to say no?! (Hides this thread from offspring.)
    Time for blackmail, bribery and good old Mother Cunning then.

Getting a straight answer to "why not?" would make the whole palaver simpler. If interrog, I mean questioning, hasn't worked, onto bribery. So what he's 13?

My lot are army mad & patches with your blood type are standard uniform kit. Bribe with a surplus jacket with four patches of his choice, plus the blood type? (Tip off the medic as to the bribe so the type test is also done?!)

Anyone in the waiting room (ideally younger than him) who is prepared to pipe up "blood test? Oh, OK." in exchange for a bribe agreed with their parent? Just lowering the potential perceived invasive hazard & opening the door to realisation that little child wasn't fussed, so...

Ease up on the nudging for a week while you line up exemplar/ lay foundation for bribery?

Sometimes even teens are so scared that a parent is welcome. (Shocking idea.)

All the very best!

Thank you, yes 13 year olds are allowed to say no:D

The waiting room is a great idea, trouble is, haven't go him there yet.....
  • carefullycautious
    Options
    Did he have his injections ok I'm sure I had TB one at around this age if yes this may have put him off.

Has he got a mate that could go with him who is not fussed about injections maybe he would be braver in front of a mate.

I would let the dust settle for a bit and then ask him how he is going to go travelling with his friends when older if he can't have travel vacs. Don't make a bid deal of it just drop it into the conversation.

If he could start with the pin !!!!! one they use for blood sugars it may ease him into it.

The thing is that if he becomes ill he will end up having them anyway

Good luck
  • Brighton_belle
    Options
    Has he got a mate that could go with him who is not fussed about injections maybe he would be braver in front of a mate.

I would let the dust settle for a bit and then ask him how he is going to go travelling with his friends when older if he can't have travel vacs. Don't make a bid deal of it just drop it into the conversation.

If he could start with the pin !!!!! one they use for blood sugars it may ease him into it.

Good luck
    But fear isn't the issue. And I don't think he's daft enough to fall for the contrived ruse of taking a mate with him - for what, he's not going to have the blood test so why would he go, with mate or not?
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    victory wrote: »
    So far in interrogation:rotfl:, no sorry chatting to him:rotfl: we can't actually find one, thought maybe he was scared? No, maybe he heard all the conditions named and he thought automatically blood test or no blood test he already had one of these? No, thought maybe he feared the pain or the needle, no, that maybe he went into OMG mode and thought he was going to die if they found anything or because of the blood test , no.

At present.....stumped

Sounds like he's just digging his heels in. Now that's he made such a fuss, he doesn't know how to change things. Perhaps take the heat out of everything for a day or so, shrug and say 'OK, your choice'. Then let him come round. Suggest it again casually in a day or so and see what his reaction is. He needs to feel that it's his decision and needs to know how to agree without losing face. A difficult one, but not insurmountable.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Tell him to grow the f up and don't go into the room with him.

Jeez it's hardly the nicest experience, just look away and wait.

God some people moan over everything, imagine having to get bloods taken daily and having small viens and other such issues which make it a far greater deal than a minutes uncomfortableness,
    A 13 year old shouldn't be bribed or baby'ed any more for goodness sake.

A parent declaring that the child is scared is just going to increase anxiety. The kid has a blood test, it's hardly an ordeal. Just drop them off at the doctors and wait outside.

There comes a time when you have to let teenagers learn to deal with such things themselves.
    Yes and as a parent you should be there for the teen when the results are available if they want your support.

I don't understand why you are creating so much fuss, no one likes blood tests but you have to suck it up. By dropping him off at the doctors or waiting in the reception you are allowing the boy to deal with it himself and dr's and nurses are hardly going to want some clingy 13 year old who is scared of a little needle to deal with in their busy day.

Maybe tell him there are lots of other people his age and younger, sitting in hospital wards who don't have the comfort of a nearby parent who have to get their bloods taken daily.

What a wimp sorry,

Aww, your mummy didn't love you enough when you were little.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • ilovelondontown
    Options
    OP I think you should be very proud of your son, he sounds like a very clued up 13 year old who understands the notion that just because someone tells you that you should do something you still have the right to decline, regardless of whether or not its the "right" thing to do.

If he's been given the details to make an informed decision and it's not necessary for him to have the test you shouldn't try and force him too. If you came to these boards and said your mother was trying to force you to have a b t for no apparent reason, everyone would say, what is your mother playing at!?

Yes he is still a child, yes you are the parent and the one legally still responsible for his safety/wellbeing etc but it sounds to me like he's fully understood what the situation is and has made the personal decision not to have it and in these circumstances, that choice should be respected.
    Some times you have to hold back to go forward to where you want to be.

Like a catapolt!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport